This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101014 - Burgle Burgle!

edited October 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, Scott regales us with tails of burgling that are unfortunately first-hand. But before that, CVS is in trouble for being lax with a stupid law, and old people are afraid of young people, but will shop more if they get rid of them.

Download MP3

Comments

• edited October 2010
    So we've had A O & U.. Bergle Bergle and Birgle Birgle coming next?

The Wii Bowling robbery was actually the police stopping in the middle of the raid to play some Wii Bowling.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited October 2010
    Rym Feels Fantastic
    (Seriously, add a function to let me embed mp3s or tell me how to use the one that currently does.)
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • <audio src="horse.ogg" controls="controls">
    Your browser does not support the audio element.
    </audio>

Only works in Chrome and Safari.

Your browser does not support the audio element.
  • I think most people here use firefox. Is there really nothing that works on firefox?
  • Welcome to the wonderful world of open source. Don't forget to wipe your feet on the GNU Linux welcome mat.
  • They don't have to allow me to directly play it in the browser. Something that called quicktime would be enough.
  • edited October 2010
    It looks like I'm not allowed to use the embed or object tags for security reasons.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Pseudoephedrine gives me horrible night terrors. ._.
  • Reasons why I LOVE my credit card (Amex Blue Cash)

Once I pass $6,500 spent in the year, I get 5% back on gas pump, grocery store, and drug store purchases. After I put all my bills and just about every expense on there, I get approx. $600 every year on the same month that my homeowners insurance is due (which while more than renters insurance, is less than $600), so I never even feel the effect of that once-per-year expense. Holding 1-month's pay in my bank account as it waits to pay the credit card bill also triggers a "no ATM fees" reward, meaning that in the rare event I cannot use my credit card, I can go up to biggest rip-off ATMs at the most convenient places and laugh at the $4 fee.
  • Reasons why I LOVE my credit card (Amex Blue Cash)
    We have the same card.
  • Rym needs to head to Mexico. There he can buy all pseudoephedrine he desires.
    Will they confiscate that shit at the border if it's just one box?
    But he might get mistaken for someone special and get kidnapped. Or get caught in the cross-fire of the many drugs wars going on there.
  • edited October 2010
    Rym needs to head to Mexico. There he can buy all pseudoephedrine he desires.
    Will they confiscate that shit at the border if it's just one box?
    You know I'm not sure. Can drug dogs sniff out pseudoephedrine? This isn't really related but back in the day I remember going with my grandparents over to Ciudad Juarez. I lived in El Paso, Texas at the time. And Ciudad Juarez is just a stones throw away from the border. Anyway my grandparents would buy their booze there stupid cheap in Juarez and hide it in the car and not declare it. This was to avoid having to pay the duty taxes on it. I know times have changed since then. So I'm guessing it's not so easy to sneak anything across anymore. But I think if Rym were to just cross the the border checkpoints on foot he would be less likely to be searched then if he was in a vehicle. I'm not sure about his safety while he would be there though. I never felt unsafe in Juarez as kid but I was with my spanish speaking relatives. They knew exactly how to get around and how to act. It was also a good 20 years ago also.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Can drug dogs sniff out pseudoephedrine?
    Yes, some of them can.
  • Re: knowing where people live.

When visiting Rym's I brought up Google Earth and played "See if I can pick out Rym and Scott's house in Beacon, using only clues remembered from the podcasts." I think I managed, on my second attempt, to point to the building next door to their house.
  • That's not so hard to do but you have to, early on, make a mental note to keep track of any relevant information.
  • That's not so hard to do but you have to, early on, make a mental note to keep track of any relevant information.
    Nope, it only took a few things. Near to a car dealership, not near other houses, on the other side of town from the train station, about 20 minutes or so. It narrowed it down quite a bit.
  • edited December 2010
    Thought I should mention it 'cause you used it several times. You're using the wrong A sound in 'Dagen H'. It's the British 'Archer'-A. (And they pronounce H as "Ho" (not hoe, but ho")
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Near to a car dealership
    That's my point.
  • Near to a car dealership
    That's my point.
    I think they mentioned that they lived across from a car dealership many times. And Rym often compared getting to the train station by bike vs rollerblade vs car vs walking.

Maybe its just my brain that rarely forgets random factoids. I wish it was better at remembering more important things, like people's names.
  • edited October 2010
    I can only remember the one anecdote and even if there were more, that's out of five years of shows. #stalkerbrainsthinkalike
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I have never been robbed before, but I’m so paranoid about it! Mainly because I don’t have all my photos backed up off site, I only have an external HD that is attached to computer. I should buy another one (they are so cheap now) back up all my personal stuff and store it at a mates house.

One thing I like to do is to keep my save game on my carry around USB stick. If I got robbed, and they took my consoles, insurance would replace that no worries. But since I was recently playing Borderlands with a friend online and we had invested nearly 80 hours into it, loosing my character would be DEVISTATING! Sure, its just a game, but when we log in twice a week, fire up the voice chat, have a catch up and then play some of the end game content together, for me to loose that would be MUCH worse than loosing the hardware itself.

That avenue of social interaction would effectively been stolen from me as well.
  • I agree with the whole backing up data thing, whether it be photos or saved games. Everything else is replaceable. People might scoff at you valuing an 80 hour investment in a video game like that, but if it's so trivial a task to toss your save game backup onto a USB stick, why the hell not?

I have everything important to me backed up in an external, but I just keep it in a fire and water proof box along with important documents & such. If I got burgled they'd probably just walk off with the box thinking it could contain valuables.
  • edited October 2010
    I'll say it again. Back your shit up in the god damned cloud. External drives are more convenient for faster recovery and more frequent backup, especially of larger files. However, they will fail just like your other drives. Amazon's servers will not fail. This forum is backed up on Amazon every night. Cost: .67 cents a month. It's worth it.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

There are many other solutions as well, such as Carbonite.

You have to assume that every hard drive you own could crash or be lost at any moment simultaneously. They are untrustworthy as fuck. You've heard enough horror stories. Don't become one.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah that's kinda where I was going with my train of thought. I really need to get off my ass and backup stuff like photos. The most critical of all files I do keep in a dropbox, but one of the services you mentioned above would be preferable. I wasn't doing this before b/c I was tight on money, but that hasn't been true for some time. Anyone have other suggestions for cloud storage?
  • I'll say it again. Back your shit up in the god damned cloud. External drives are more convenient for faster recovery and more frequent backup, especially of larger files. However, they will fail just like your other drives. Amazon's servers will not fail. This forum is backed up on Amazon every night. Cost: .67 cents a month. It's worth it.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

There are many other solutions as well, such asCarbonite.

You have to assume that every hard drive you own could crash or be lost at any moment simultaneously. They are untrustworthy as fuck. You've heard enough horror stories. Don't become one.
    I'm guessing that's 67 cents a month, not .67 cents.

Ultimately, you can gain sufficient protection against hard drive failures with your own backups rather than cloud storage. The main issue, however, is that unless you are able to keep your data in two different physical locations at once, you're at risk of losing the data to fire, burglary, and the like, and that's where cloud storage comes into it.
  • Scott, it would've been impossible for you to have Pokemon that you traded up and up and up from Red to now. One of the big things people bitched about with Generation III was that you couldn't trade from Gold/Silver/Crystal/Red/Blue/Yellow.
  • Scott, it would've been impossible for you to have Pokemon that you traded up and up and up from Red to now. One of the big things people bitched about with Generation III was that you couldn't trade from Gold/Silver/Crystal/Red/Blue/Yellow.
    But couldn't you plug in one of the Gameboy advance titles, and then re-capture your old pokemon in the safari park-alike thing?
  • But couldn't you plug in one of the Gameboy advance titles, and then re-capture your old pokemon in the safari park-alike thing?
    That's exactly what I did. I used leaf green.