This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

Comments

• Force yourself to use Vim for a while and you'll switch to internally screaming every time you use a graphical IDE and have to take your fingers off home row in order to move through a file.

The late Dennis Richie, as well as fellow Unix inventor Ken Thompson, disagree with you there.
    Seek not the paths of the ancients;
    Seek that which the ancients sought.
  • Very interesting. It's actually reaching a point where there's no other game quite like that.
  • Little clean up, making things a bit more legible. I think the next pass will be a better level generator to leverage the lighting.

• edited August 2015
    Andrew said:

Little clean up, making things a bit more legible. I think the next pass will be a better level generator to leverage the lighting.

The fact that your visibility system and your lighting system are independent is very confusing. Why should you be able to see the purple light from the corner but the corner isn't illuminated by it?
    Post edited by MechanicalMind on
  • The fact that your visibility system and your lighting system are independent is very confusing. Why should you be able to see the purple light from the corner but the corner isn't illuminated by it?

It's just the fact that I'm not actually illuminating the walls, but implicitly indicating their presence by the lack of lighting. I'm probably gonna rework this to make it clearer.

• Nailed it
  • Looks great! How did you end up implementing the lighting?
  • I like it. However, the light coming from black floor panels is a bit weird.
  • edited August 2015
    Alaric728 said:

Looks great! How did you end up implementing the lighting?

OpenGL shaders and some basic engine stuff on my end. The game is written in C++ using SFML

I like it. However, the light coming from black floor panels is a bit weird.

Yeah, it's still temporary, but they are supposed to be glowing mushrooms. Mostly there just to debug lighting and make sure everything is working correctly. At this point I'm mainly focusing on engine tech and making sure I have all the tools I need to make the game look the way I want it to look.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Let's just say hunger is the least of your concerns...
  • Is that torch dimming as time goes on? Because that is hot shit.
  • Apreche said:

Is that torch dimming as time goes on? Because that is hot shit.

Yes, traditional roguelikes use hunger meters to motivate the character forward, I will use the fact that your light dims as you move. Better find more torches!
  • I think the light sources a long way from the little guy should be different in some way. As in, they could fade to somewhat darker at distance, or fade to a colourless grey. I think fading to grey might be good because then a dangerous light might look the same as helpful light, but you won't know until you get closer.
  • edited August 2015
    Two different shots today:

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Yes, that final screenshot is the most playable looking yet.

Now imagine what it would be like if you could see some light, or shadow, coming from a moving enemy. You can't see the enemy, but you kind of know where it is. Is it a flaming skull floating down the hall? Is it just a brazier on a conveyor belt? Is it a trap door opening and closing with lava underneath it? So many possibilities. I don't think any Roguelike has really worked with light in this way.
  • edited August 2015
    Yes, that is pretty much exactly the type of experience that is motivating the lighting design in this game. It's mostly about controlling the amount of information you are able to attain, providing a mood of actually exploring a dungeon, and making it beautiful looking.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • This has the potential to be truly stressful and terrifying. I dig it.
  • I realize that monitor calibrations and settings can vary the amount of lighting a player can see. I've been getting mixed reports on how dark/visible the scene is and I'm not sure how to correct for it.
  • Andrew said:

I realize that monitor calibrations and settings can vary the amount of lighting a player can see. I've been getting mixed reports on how dark/visible the scene is and I'm not sure how to correct for it.

You have to do one of those things where you calibrate. You know like when there's a picture on the screen and the user has to adjust their brightness until the gray is just barely visible or whatever.
  • But people will just adjust their screens to the brightest brightness.
  • Unless the game's competitive it doesn't really matter if some people choose to cheat.
  • But people will just adjust their screens to the brightest brightness.

This happens in real games already. People jack up the brightness on AAA games that try to make you use a flashlight. There's nothing you can really do about it.

Any pixel you want to hide from the player must be rendered as completely black. Otherwise, the player can access that information by turning up the brightness.
  • I have thought about basic multiplayer interactions, but really limited. Things like a leaderboard score and maybe other character's bodies will randomly show up in your game if they die. Purely indirect interactions though.
  • Andrew said:

I have thought about basic multiplayer interactions, but really limited. Things like a leaderboard score and maybe other character's bodies will randomly show up in your game if they die. Purely indirect interactions though.

So, Nethack-like multiplayer? I can dig it.

I'm really digging the claustrophobic, solitary feel of this (Well, this extrapolated into a full game by my imagination, but still).
  • Apreche said:

But people will just adjust their screens to the brightest brightness.

This happens in real games already. People jack up the brightness on AAA games that try to make you use a flashlight. There's nothing you can really do about it.
    In CSGO pros crank saturation and maybe some other settings to 100. Looks weird but helps contrast I guess.

There are settings that are illegal to change too, or at least VAC-protected.
  • Is there a language like Clojure but with sane syntax? I know it's a lisp but
    Wat.
  • Haskell all the way.
  • Did the final ICPC competition and my team replaced me with a ringer because I skipped the last 2 practices due to surgeries.
    The ringer has been graduated for 2 years. They got 2nd place in Australia / NZ (as did the rank 1 team) but were disqualified due to having a ringer.

I got a team of randoms with one guy who refused to believe a simple graph DFS problem was a graph problem and spend 1 hour trying to read numbers in by parsing text and doing 100 lines of if statements. Then he continued to not believe me that a simple DP was a DP. This was the first time the dude had done a competition lol. We ended up being ranked 16th in the Australian / NZ region but if we had the other 2 questions we would have been top 10th continent wide and got 3rd in the local competition.

It was a waste of a competition but the other person on my team was competent.
    Then I went to a pub with friends.
  • I wrote this last night for fun. trumpBot