This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

Comments

• :D

I'm glad you approve. If you can (I have no idea if you can read python) I'd appreciate it if you looked and made sure I didn't fuck up the rules.

I'm glad you approve. If you can (I have no idea if you can read python) I'd appreciate it if you looked and made sure I didn't fuck up the rules.
    I am graphicsman. Computer programming is impenetrable magic words to me.

I am graphicsman. Computer programming is impenetrable magic words to me.
    Ha ha ok. I'll translate it to plain text when I get a chance
  • edited October 2015
    Started making a 3D space tactics game tonight.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

What happened to your Roguelike?
  • I actually worked on it a bit the other day. But my video game dev muse is a fickle mistress.
  • A shit-talking mistress.
  • YOU CAN'T SHIT-TALK SHAME ME SCOTT, THIS IS MY SAFE SPACE
  • Those are some neat shaders.
  • Andrew said:

Where is the exhaust port so the X-wings can drop off their payload?
  • CON, WEAPONS: ENEMY DESTROYER IN BALLISTICS RANGE

Also basic camera stuffs
  • I'm starting a gamedev log/tumblr thingy

http://conditionone.tumblr.com/
  • Ok so I forced myself to write everything in VIM for the past few months and I got to the point were I was typing
    ":w" while typing in Google Docs, Word and even in emails for some reason.

I understand how @Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) was saying that my brain wanted to scream every time I moved away from the home row. As a side benefit the touch typing of numbers from the home row improved as well.

However I had to switch to Sublime Text for my final assignment where I was writing in 12 different files and the documentation of functions and code had to be very specific for the assigned work.
    I've reached this weird point where I want to be able to code like in VIM but edit "safely" if that makes sense. The lack of safe editing comes from my lack of knowledge on all the hotkeys, not knowing how to do multline editing, re-factoring variable names across an entire project and just having a smooth editing experience.

The GVIM I installed for Ubuntu and KDE both suffer from this weird lag of not displaying new lines or moving text down for 2 or so seconds.

It has nothing to do with the settings as Sublime Text and coding from within terminal works normally.
    What extensions do you recommend for VIM.
    Is there an easy way to make it appear like Notepad++ or Sublime Text?
  • I recommend not using any extensions for vim. Almost every vim extension adds a feature that vim already has, but the person making the vim extension just didn't learn how to do it the vim way. Almost every vim extension can be replaced by learning. Upgrade your brain, not your software.
  • I have (and don't use enough) a vim extension called YouCompleteMe, which improves Vim's autocomplete functionality by searching across all your open buffers.
    Scott's no-extension argument is silly - decent extensions for things like autocomplete improvements will save a whoooole lot of typing when you learn to use them.
  • I have (and don't use enough) a vim extension called YouCompleteMe, which improves Vim's autocomplete functionality by searching across all your open buffers.
    Scott's no-extension argument is silly - decent extensions for things like autocomplete improvements will save a whoooole lot of typing when you learn to use them.

I had YouCompleteMe for awhile also. Notice how you don't use it? That's because you don't need it. I removed it after realizing I never used it.

You know what saves time typing? Learning to type faster.

You know what else saves time typing? Learning that built-in vim commands that do the thing the plugin does and committing them to muscle memory.
  • I never really found small-scale code optimizing very interesting before, but now that I'm writing tiny (<30 lines) assembly programs for my Embedded Systems class I've been trying to perfect my code. For some reason I really like figuring out the optimal use of jumps. I might buy myself a Launchpad to keep working on side projects.
  • Apreche said:

I have (and don't use enough) a vim extension called YouCompleteMe, which improves Vim's autocomplete functionality by searching across all your open buffers.

I had YouCompleteMe for awhile also. Notice how you don't use it? That's because you don't need it. I removed it after realizing I never used it.

You know what saves time typing? Learning to type faster.

You know what else saves time typing? Learning that built-in vim commands that do the thing the plugin does and committing them to muscle memory.
    Yeah I installed YouCompleteMe, however I used it usually to make sure my spelling was correct unless I was using a longer string of characters.
    I already type faster than most people I know because I started typing as a means of communication in IRC. However there are times when you can't afford to make a mistake on the weird long variable name and the sub components of the data structure.

Also pressing one button to auto-complete will always be faster than typing the entire thing out and it would remove the likelihood of making a mistake and having to backspace and retype.

Learning the built-in VIM commands almost becomes more of a puzzle than what I'm trying to code. I have more VIM manual pages up than C man pages.

I have no problem with "upgrading my brain", I would say I'm more open to learning new things than the majority of people.
    All I was asking was whether other people used extensions or not. The question was spurred as I encountered a presence of people who would refer to VIM community extensions to solve perceived difficulties.
  • Ikatono said:

I never really found small-scale code optimizing very interesting before

What, you've never played a Zachtronics game?
  • I've played all(?) three, but I rarely tried to optimize after I found a working solution. I redid some of the earlier Spacechem levels to beat/tie my brother's score, but I usually preferred solving a harder level to perfecting an easier one.
  • edited November 2015
    The 24 hour Hackathon at my school is health and data this year. Any ideas for projects? My partner and I are at a loss.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • The 24 hour Hackathon at my school is health and data this year. Any ideas for projects? My partner and I are at a loss.

Usable consulting software which timestamps which user has accessed the history at what time. The history locks 12 hours after being created.

The history clearly show different commits, if someone other than the original writer tried to change what was written or the original write went back to change the history or simply flesh it out.

Also be able to integrate photos, videos and PDFs to a history.

Have a checklist for the consulting surgeon to go through based on the presenting problem.

UI and UX is key as all the current consulting software sucks balls and has shitty security.
  • edited December 2015
    If anyone needs to do natural language processing (i.e. voice commands) I highly recommend Wit. I'm using to write a personal assistant a la Google Now or Siri for my Pebble Time. I've got it mostly done, here's what it can do so far:
    • Open apps on phone (currently only Maps but that's only because it's the only one I've accounted for)
    • Call by Contact name or Phone Number
    • Search Contacts and return fields (currently: Number, Email, and Address)
    • Send a text by Contact name
    • Search and play music by Song, Artist, Album, and Playlist
    • Find next air date for TV shows
    • Get weather info
    • Tweet (broken right now)
    • Query Wolfram Alpha and return first result
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

Side note: I really wish the forum supported Markdown, that would make it so much better. Writing HTML lists is a pain.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • I just enabled the so-called "Advanced Editor" in the forum add-ons. It sucks. You don't want it.
  • Apreche said:

I just enabled the so-called "Advanced Editor" in the forum add-ons. It sucks. You don't want it.

I assume that adds word processing buttons? I would rather just have Markdown.
  • Apreche said:

I just enabled the so-called "Advanced Editor" in the forum add-ons. It sucks. You don't want it.

I assume that adds word processing buttons? I would rather just have Markdown.
    Markdown is an option, but it would make everything markdown. It doesn't seem to let people choose different languages on a post-by-post basis.