This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I want to download screenplays from the web and read them on my Kindle.

Many screenplays you can download from the web are just TXT files hammered into "screenplay format" by the use of lots of carriage returns to squeeze the text into a narrow column, as you can see here:

==================================================
    HOTEL LOBBY

A man in his early forties, balding and starting to paunch,
    goes to the reception desk. The clerk is an older woman.

CLERK
    And how are you today, sir?

MAN
    Real good now. I'm checking in - Mr.
    Anderson.
    ==================================================

This formatting looks like hell on my kindle. Is there any practical way to automatically reformat these files, so that all the extraneous carriage returns are removed, while preserving the paragraph structure, and, if possible, the line breaks at "CLERK" and "MAN"? I'm glad to figure out the details myself, but I'd appreciate if someone could point me toward the most likely technology for the job.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Sounds like that could be done easily with a simple script in python or the like.
  • Calibre can do that, I think.
  • Calibre can do that, I think.
    Any idea how or where to look in the program? I can't anything that looks like that.

Failing like that, I'll try going the python route.
  • If you just use the convert option to change it to a .amzn or EPUB, it should let you preview it and preserve the spacing.
  • While I would never buy a DMR'd book on Kindle or iBooks, Reading txt and pdf files in the iBooks app on the iPhone is pretty great. I read the entire book "Around the World in 80 Days" on my iPhone on the subway.
  • edited May 2011
    Please forgive the stupidity of this question. I always feel so embarrassed about computer questions because I admittedly know so little.

I've tried looking this up on Google, but have had no luck.

Suppose you have a file full of files that have just one or two things in them. For instance, let's say you have a file with one hundred files that only have one Word document inside them. Is there any easy way to "unpack" all the documents from the files and discard the file structure so that you're left with one big file with one hundred Word documents instead of one big file containing one hundred little files with one document each?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Suppose you have a file full of files that have just one or two things in them. For instance, let's say you have a file with one hundred files that only have one Word document inside them. Is there any easy way to "unpack" all the documents from the files and discard the file structure so that you're left with one big file with one hundred Word documents instead of one big file containing one hundred little files with one document each?
    You mean folders right? You have a hundred folders with one file each? That's really easy to fix in Linux or OSX from the command line. mv */*.doc .Don't know how to do it on the Windows command line.
  • Suppose you have a file full of files that have just one or two things in them. For instance, let's say you have a file with one hundred files that only have one Word document inside them. Is there any easy way to "unpack" all the documents from the files and discard the file structure so that you're left with one big file with one hundred Word documents instead of one big file containing one hundred little files with one document each?
    You mean folders right? You have a hundred folders with one file each?
    YES. GOD - I am so stupid.
    That's really easy to fix in Linux or OSX from the command line. mv */*.doc .Don't know how to do it on the Windows command line.
    I'm not smart enough to use Linux or OSX. I need a windows solution, if there is one.
  • I'm not smart enough to use Linux or OSX. I need a windows solution, if there is one.
    Dragging and dropping 100 times or using the windows command line somehow.
  • move /y folder1\*\*.doc folder2\

That should work.
  • edited May 2011
    I may be in the market for a new laptop in a few weeks. I know this usually isn't usually the best plan, but I am actually considering a gaming laptop since:
    1. I am a very mobile person who usually carries around their main computer (and really appreciates form factor as a result)
    2. I really do not have the space or money to also build a gaming desktop
    3. I am a student with a serious craving for gaming, and mostly not-super-resource-intense gaming

So does anyone have any advice/warnings about the Alienware M11x or M14x. I know the prospect of an 11 or 14 inch gaming PC seems ridiculous, but I'm planning on HDMI'ing it up to my LCD whenever I'm home (with usb keyboard and mouse connected to avoid the disorientation sometimes associated with that sort of connection). Just thought I'd throw this plan into the thread, just in case I'm actually making a monumental mistake/someone has a better suggestion.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Is it generally cheaper to build your own desktop or to buy one?
    The whole thing? Probably a wash. But once you've built your own computer it's fairly easy and cheap to do an upgrade every 6 months to a year.
  • edited May 2011
    I may be in the market for a new laptop in a few weeks. I know this usually isn't usually the best plan, but I am actually considering a gaming laptop since:
    1. I am a very mobile person who usually carries around their main computer (and really appreciates form factor as a result)
    2. I really do not have the space or money to also build a gaming desktop
    3. I am a student with a serious craving for gaming, and mostly not-super-resource-intense gaming

So does anyone have any advice/warnings about the Alienware M11x or M14x. I know the prospect of an 11 or 14 inch gaming PC seems ridiculous, but I'm planning on HDMI'ing it up to my LCD whenever I'm home (with usb keyboard and mouse connected to avoid the disorientation sometimes associated with that sort of connection). Just thought I'd throw this plan into the thread, just in case I'm actually making a monumental mistake/someone has a better suggestion.
    Those Alienwares don't have replaceable batteries. I'll be in a very similar situation to you while abroad next year; I considered the M11x, but went with Lenovo's Thinkpad X220. There's a few reasons:

1) The new Intel HD Graphics 3000 chipsets can handle most games I care about (Portal 2, BC2, Starcraft, Minecraft, emulators) at appropriate settings.
    2) It has an independently-tested battery life of 10.5 hours with a 9-cell, and 22.5 hours with the optional slice cell.
    3) It's powerful as fuck, with an i5-2410M standard and an i7-2620M optional.
    4) It weighs 2.9 pounds with the battery, and only a bit more with the optional slice battery.
    5) I saved over $700 through Lenovo's student program, even after add-ons like upgrading to the i5-2520M, adding a IPS+Webcam display, and adding a WiMAX networking chipset.

I can post my config later, if you'd like, but I've never been more excited for a computer to arrive since I got my first laptop as an 8th grade babby. This thing is seriously awesome, and beats the Alienware ultraportable just about everywhere save a discrete GPU.

Also an option: get a netbook, and build a Small Form Factor desktop for your dorm. You could probably pull it off with a Mini-ITX, nowadays.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • So I have a problem with my Ubuntu server at work. It was a fresh install of regular Ubuntu (not ubuntu server) and when I loaded the restricted drivers for the graphics card (an Nvidia card), and rebooted the box, X wouldn't start. This isn't so much of a big problem for me as much as an inconvenience. I installed the OpenSSH daemon, so I can still do stuff with it remotely, and I've been meaning to force myself to learn to configure apache just through the shell anyway, but still...

Any ideas?
  • edited May 2011
    For gaming laptops, I went with Sager.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • Oh man, I totally need to write a bios hack that plays the Megadrive/Genasis boot animation.
  • Oh man, I totally need to write a bios hack that plays the Megadrive/Genasis boot animation.
    Holy shit, if you do that, post it here. I'd definitely load it.
  • I wonder if theres a way to change the windows boot animation... *runs off to googlemasu*
  • I wonder if theres a way to change the windows boot animation... *runs off to googlemasu*
    There is...but it's so much more effort than it is worth.
    There is...but it's so much more effort than it is worth.
    http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/
    Looks like it's just a GUI. All you apparently need other than the program is the 107 pngs or bmps for the animation.
  • So I have a problem with my Ubuntu server at work. It was a fresh install of regular Ubuntu (not ubuntu server) and when I loaded the restricted drivers for the graphics card (an Nvidia card), and rebooted the box, X wouldn't start. This isn't so much of a big problem for me as much as an inconvenience. I installed the OpenSSH daemon, so I can still do stuff with it remotely, and I've been meaning to force myself to learn to configure apache just through the shell anyway, but still...

Any ideas?
    Look in /var/log/xorg.log. See what error message it contains.
  • edited May 2011
    (II) VESA(0): Total Memory: 2048 64KB banks (131072kB)
    (II) VESA(0): : Using hsync range of 31.50-0.00 kHz
    (II) VESA(0): : Using vrefresh range of 56.00-0.00 Hz
    (WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "1024x768" (no mode of this name)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "800x600" (no mode of this name)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "640x480" (no mode of this name)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "640x400" (no mode of this name)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x400" (no mode of this name)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x240" (no mode of this name)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x200" (no mode of this name)
    (WW) VESA(0): No valid modes left. Trying less strict filter...
    (II) VESA(0): : Using vrefresh range of 56.00-0.00 Hz
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "1024x768" (unknown reason)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "800x600" (unknown reason)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "640x480" (unknown reason)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "640x400" (unknown reason)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x400" (unknown reason)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x240" (unknown reason)
    (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x200" (unknown reason)
    (WW) VESA(0): No valid modes left. Trying aggressive sync range...
    (II) VESA(0): : Using vrefresh range of 50.00-0.00 Hz
    (EE) VESA(0): No valid modes
    (WW) VESA(0): No valid modes left. Trying aggressive sync range...
    (II) VESA(0): : Using vrefresh range of 50.00-0.00 Hz
    (EE) VESA(0): No valid modes
    (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
    (II) UnloadModule: "int10"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvbe.so
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    So it looks like the new driver is keeping it from properly interfacing with the monitor.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I had a similar problem with a driver for a wireless network adapter. I'm not really sure what it is, but some drivers completely break the system.
  • edited May 2011
    Good evening guys. I'm building a new rig for gaming, it will be a budget build, actually, for US is a budget build, for Brazil it will be pretty powerful, since computer parts here are more then 2 times the price. I'm a tech person so I'm pretty sure this is what I want, but I will share non the less, to look at comments and criticism.
    budget gaming PC
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • Okay, so I'm sick of having a knowledge/skill weakness where computers are concerned. I've never really liked actual computer science all that much, but that is probably a bias gained from early computer days when computers were not as nice to work with. UMBC is close to my home and they have a two hundred level class in computer science called "Introduction to computer Science for Majors" that I would actually have time to take this fall. Here is the course description:
    An introduction to computer science through problem solving and computer programming. Programming techniques covered by this course include modularity, abstraction, top-down design, specifications documentation,
    debugging and testing. The core material for this course includes control structures, functions, lists, strings, abstract data types, file I/O, and recursion. It is assumed that students already know the basics of a modern highlevel
    language such as Java, Python, or C (expressions, basic data types, arrays/lists, and control structures).
    I like this description a lot and I think it would be a very interesting and rewarding course, but I'm a little concerned about the assumption that students already know Java, Python, or C. I would really like to take this course, in other words, but I'm a little scared of it because I know absolutely no Java, Python, or C.

SO - my question is: How hard would it be to acquire some mastery of the basics of one of these languages over the summer without the benefit of formal instruction? Which would be best? How would I go about doing it? Would I just get a book at Barnes & Noble and start reading? Please keep in mind that my last formal computer instruction was in 1984.
  • I like this description a lot and I think it would be a very interesting and rewarding course, but I'm a little concerned about the assumption that students already know Java, Python, or C. I would really like to take this course, in other words, but I'm a little scared of it because I know absolutely no Java, Python, or C.
    That course is probably one level too high for your current level of knowledge.
    SO - my question is: How hard would it be to acquire some mastery of the basics of one of these languages over the summer without the benefit of formal instruction? Which would be best? How would I go about doing it? Would I just get a book at Barnes & Noble and start reading? Please keep in mind that my last formal computer instruction was in 1984.
    Never fear, because there is a perfect place, and it is free! Click this link and you can take Computer Science 101 at MIT.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-fall-2008/
  • Well, of those three, I'd go with Python. It's the easiest of the three to learn.

As far as whether or not you could reach basic proficiency in Python over the course of a summer if you never programmed before, my gut tells me it's possible, but I may be clouded by the fact I've been programming for a long, long time (relatively speaking). For learning, I'd probably start with just what's on Python.org and only go out and buy a book (probably an O'Reilly book) if I hit a wall with the free stuff on the website.

The curious thing is that the course description sounds like it's covering a lot of the basics of programming already -- you can't know the basics of any programming language without knowing how it handles control structures, functions, and strings (and arguably file I/O and lists, depending on the language) IMHO. Abstract data types and recursion are somewhat more advanced (as in you can write some useful programs without using them), but you really can't write anything other than a "Hello World" program without knowing the other stuff they're covering.
  • edited May 2011
    I like this description a lot and I think it would be a very interesting and rewarding course, but I'm a little concerned about the assumption that students already know Java, Python, or C. I would really like to take this course, in other words, but I'm a little scared of it because I know absolutely no Java, Python, or C.
    That course is probably one level too high for your current level of knowledge.
    Well, that sucks because the next lower course doesn't fit my schedule and its description is:
    A one-semester introduction to computers and computer science. This course is intended for non-science majors. Topics include computer algorithms, data representations, computer systems, networks, databases, graphics, artificial intelligence, and the effects of computers on society.
    . . . and I think that this course is at least one level too low for my current level of knowledge. You might not remember, but my undergrad degrees were in physics and mathematics (also history with a lot of english courses, but it's not like I learned much computer science there) with a few courses in electrical engineering picked up along the way, during which I had to use databases, pick up general computer knowledge through lab work, and deal with mounds of lab-generated data, so I think I probably know most, if not all, of this stuff already.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited May 2011
    That seems to be kinda common in most computer science departments, it seems. They either have a beginner course for the hard core computer person who wants to get into programming, or they have one like the latter one you mentioned. My university also had pretty much the same kind of course catalog.

They did have one exception (sort of): an introduction to C programming that was aimed at general science majors (physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, etc.) but assumed no prior programming experience. It was always considered to be a good course and it eventually became a degree requirement for all engineering majors (which was an improvement over what they did before -- a once a week lecture on C programming as part of the standard intro to engineering course that was all but useless). However, this class is aimed at science majors, meaning that a lot of the stuff it'd be covering would be the kinds of computations scientists and engineers may be required to do as part of their jobs as opposed to a more general intro to programming class.

Edit: Hmm, looks like you were a science major, so that kind of scientific computing course probably would've been right up your alley... Shame they didn't have something like that UMBC. :(
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on