This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Recommended Linux distribution for an EeePC netbook to be used by a non-neckbeard (my sister)? Should I just stick with the latest Ubuntu?
    Yeah, that's pretty much the only safe bet. I would wait until April, though, for 12.04.
    I agree that waiting until April would be better, but I need to do something within a week or so to ship the netbook home. I can upgrade later.
  • Recommended Linux distribution for an EeePC netbook to be used by a non-neckbeard (my sister)? Should I just stick with the latest Ubuntu?
    Yeah, that's pretty much the only safe bet. I would wait until April, though, for 12.04.
    I agree that waiting until April would be better, but I need to do something within a week or so to ship the netbook home. I can upgrade later.
    Install the beta. It should work fine, and it will automatically upgrade itself into the stable release.

• Could someone recommend a free non-linear video editing software for Windows? I want to make an AMV for the first time (and am a novice video editor in general), and want to be able to synch some things up (so need to be able to move things around easily, speed/slow them, cut/copy/paste sections, etc).
  • Could someone recommend a free non-linear video editing software for Windows? I want to make an AMV for the first time (and am a novice video editor in general), and want to be able to synch some things up (so need to be able to move things around easily, speed/slow them, cut/copy/paste sections, etc).
    As far as I am aware, nothing good exists for free.

How about for under $100?

You can get Adobe Premiere Elements, which still kinda sucks.
    Can we get a non-Scott opinion?
  • Can we get a non-Scott opinion?
    Sure...can you provide one?
  • edited March 2012

Can we get a non-Scott opinion?
    PC Magazine thinks we'd be better off with CyberLink PowerDirector 10.

Anybody used it?

[edited to include the link]

Post edited by jtvh on
    Sure...can you provide one?
    No, I don't know anything in this field.
    Back in mah day, long before the whores, kids your age were awesome.
  • You say that, but in your heart you know that we've always been just as bad as now.
  • I am planning to get a second monitor to link up to my computer, but I've not done so before so I dont know how specific things will work. I want to use the second monitor for gaming.

I know that with two monitors I can drag a window over to it, but how do I control in which monitor non-window full screen games show up in? Also, If I set both monitors to duplicate the screen, will that compromise my framerates while running games? If I turn off a monitor (via the power button on it) does the computer still spend resources to send data to it or does it treat that monitor as if it is not even connected?
  • edited March 2012
    Full screen games run on your primary monitor. You can choose which monitor is primary in the windows control panel. That is also the window that will have the start menu and task bar.

What happens when you turn a monitor off depends on the monitor and what kind of connection is has to the computer. For example, at work I have an external monitor that uses DisplayPort and is the primary display. If I turn it off, then the computer knows it. The task bar and start menu and all the windows get moved over to my laptop screen. At home my second monitor uses DVI, so if I turn it off, nothing happens. The computer treats it as if it is still on. I can drag windows to it, but I can't see them there.

Even though it is still on, it is not a performance concern. What is a concern is your mouse accidentally going over to that screen. Imagine you're shooting some dudes in Counter-Strike. Suddenly your mouse goes to this other monitor and clicks and then you're in big trouble as Counter-Strike is minimized or who knows what other bullshit happens.

I do not think the frame rate will be negatively impacted by cloning. when you clone, both screens are forced to be the same resolution, even if they aren't. The GPU will only render each frame once and send it to both screens. It will not render the game twice.
    Post edited by Apreche on

I've heard good things about Sony Vegas.
  • Full screen games run on your primary monitor. You can choose which monitor is primary in the windows control panel. That is also the window that will have the start menu and task bar.

What happens when you turn a monitor off depends on the monitor and what kind of connection is has to the computer. For example, at work I have an external monitor that uses DisplayPort and is the primary display. If I turn it off, then the computer knows it. The task bar and start menu and all the windows get moved over to my laptop screen. At home my second monitor uses DVI, so if I turn it off, nothing happens. The computer treats it as if it is still on. I can drag windows to it, but I can't see them there.

Even though it is still on, it is not a performance concern. What is a concern is your mouse accidentally going over to that screen. Imagine you're shooting some dudes in Counter-Strike. Suddenly your mouse goes to this other monitor and clicks and then you're in big trouble as Counter-Strike is minimized or who knows what other bullshit happens.

I do not think the frame rate will be negatively impacted by cloning. when you clone, both screens are forced to be the same resolution, even if they aren't. The GPU will only render each frame once and send it to both screens. It will not render the game twice.
    Very helpful, thanks. One more thing. I'm considering using an actual flat screen TV as the second screen instead of a computer monitor. Are there any differences from TVs and monitors that I should know about? Will displayport still work? Also, does anyone know about wireless HDMI connectors and how they compare to wired ones?

Meego
  • You say that, but in your heart you know that we've always been just as bad as now.
    Actually, Sail was (and still is, but was as well) pretty fucking awesome when he was about your age and on these forums.
  • Apparently monitor 2 is going out (slowly). I've already found the necessary capacitors. My plan at the moment is to buy monitor 3 (I want one anyway) and then attempt the repair on monitor 2. Should be fun. I havn't had to solder anything in forever.
  • Is the problem in the PSU or main board?
  • edited March 2012
    PSU. It's actually functional once it gets started. It just blinks for a few minutes first. I havn't yet taken it apart to inspect it (saving that for the weekend) but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to find.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Ok, well let us know how you get on. I did the same thing with a TV a while ago. Make a note of the PSU model number and Google it before you get started. That said, you were probably lucky enough to have a monitor model number to look up.
  • Anyone have any experience with some of the really tiny Linux distros (Damn Small, Puppy, etc.)? My mom has an old AMD K6 with 64MB of RAM she wants to give to my uncle so he can play Solitaire on it (I'm serious -- he doesn't really use a computer for anything else). Unfortunately, it's been sitting idle for so long that the old Win98 install on it won't boot up and we don't have any Win98 CDs floating around anymore. I was thinking about just putting a tiny Linux on it (good enough for Solitaire and maybe a few similar games), but it seems like most of them are either no longer being maintained or really don't want to be installed on a hard drive.
  • Anyone have any experience with some of the really tiny Linux distros (Damn Small, Puppy, etc.)? My mom has an old AMD K6 with 64MB of RAM she wants to give to my uncle so he can play Solitaire on it (I'm serious -- he doesn't really use a computer for anything else). Unfortunately, it's been sitting idle for so long that the old Win98 install on it won't boot up and we don't have any Win98 CDs floating around anymore. I was thinking about just putting a tiny Linux on it (good enough for Solitaire and maybe a few similar games), but it seems like most of them are either no longer being maintained or really don't want to be installed on a hard drive.
    You should be able to install Arch, Debian, Gentoo. It will take some time to set it up, but it will work. Also, since it's only for solitaire you don't need to worry about configuring all that usual crap.

In all honesty, it's a better idea to recycle the computer. Then get a cheap handheld solitaire device like this. It uses less electricity, and is less work for you.

Mega Screen Solitaire
  • Anyone have any experience with some of the really tiny Linux distros (Damn Small, Puppy, etc.)? ... [unfortunatly] it seems like most of them are ... no longer being maintained.
    Since it won't have Internet, who cares it's no longer maintained? If it works, it works. Get an old copy and install that.
  • edited March 2012
    Tiny Core can run Ace of Penguins (a game suite that includes solitaire) on 10mb of RAM. Perhaps that will fit your needs?
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • So there was an exact article on my monitor, also extremely recent. I took it apart today, caps sure-enough were expanded (though not incredibly).

http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php/repairing-a-lg-l227wtg-pf-22-monitor-no-power/

I'm probably going to end up buying caps from them, the dollar amount works out the same and I couldn't find any local stores with them. Well, actually, I know one store will have them, but I don't go there anymore after a conversation with the owner where he basically admitted he tries to screw over anyone that doesn't know better by massive amounts. I'm totally fine with pricing things a little obtusely, but his attitude basically set him apart into the "People who don't give a fuck about their customers" camp, which is not someone I'm going to do business with even if he's nice-enough to me.
  • Caps have arrived. Install will be tonight. Crossed fingers.
  • And stuff be fixed. Yay.
  • edited March 2012
    Almost always cheaper to build one. You can get a lot of great deals on individual parts which makes this a great way to save money.

EDIT: Oh wow I'm stupid commenting on an old post and not realizing it. Disregard this.
    Post edited by MATATAT on