This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MANGA!

Comments

• Momoiro Kakaricho!
  • Momoiro Kakaricho!
    Momoiro Gabriel!

I still think my favorite tree name she had was Pink Young CEO.
  • Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei
    Man, I still have to watch episode two onwards from the first season. Somehow I cannot get myself to watch another episode after the first. Stupid girl, stop talking please!
  • Trust me, it's worth it. Fuura's... Much more than you think, let's say.
  • I'm reading and watching Hayate the Combat Butler. I've got the first volume, and I love both the anime (I've seen maybe the first 5 episodes) and manga. I really like that type of comedy. I'm also reading Princess Ressurection, Rosario + Vampire, Highschool of Dead, and another I can't remember.
  • edited April 2009
    Zetsuboushita! A world where Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei get's a third season on TV leaves me in despair!
    Weirdly enough, SZS is one of the few properties where I believe the anime to work better than the manga even though the manga is the original.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Weirdly enough, SZS is one of the few properties where I believe the anime to work better than the manga even though the manga is the original.
    It's because the series is so high-energy. You can't convey that as effectively in manga as you can in animation.
  • Weirdly enough, SZS is one of the few properties where I believe the anime to work better than the manga even though the manga is the original.
    It's because the series is so high-energy. You can't convey that as effectively in manga as you can in animation.
    Not sure if you mean the same thing but in my opinion it is mostly because the animation highly aids the things the story tries to convey. A key example would be the bit of Kafuka staring in Meru's eyes which does into some Escher-like repetition.

Also, the experimentation in art-style and series direction also works very well with the series.
  • Boys over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango) is finally done. The ending, like most things anime/shojo manga, is bittersweet. I'm still happy to have read the series. I wonder how the anime is.

Still reading Otomen. Volume 2, recently came out, and I am happy I picked up this series.
    I also picked up Honey Hunt by Miki Aihara. I enjoyed reading Hot Gimmick by her, and I enjoy her art style. I figure Honey Hunt will another enjoyable series by her.

Also still reading Nana & Ouran HIgh.

Only one more volume of Fruits Baskets, and it will finally be over! *sigh*
  • Fruits Baskets
    Sweet Jesus, its still not over yet?
  • Fruits Baskets
    Sweet Jesus, itsstillnot overyet?
    No, it is. She just hasn't gotten to the end yet.

Also, I'm reading the Detroit Metal City manga. It is, as they say, rapetastic.
  • No, it is. She just hasn't gotten to the end yet.
    It's over, but the last one hasn't been released yet in the US. It comes out in July.
  • I enjoyed readingHot Gimmickby her, and I enjoy her art style.
    Hot Gimmick made me so angry! I wanted the girl to totally pwn that jerk who was blackmailing her, but instead she rolled over and took the abuse. That guy was a controlling jerk, and I was hoping he'd get over it, but he didn't seem to.
  • edited June 2009
    Hot Gimmick made me so angry! I wanted the girl to totally pwn that jerk who was blackmailing her, but instead she rolled over and took the abuse. That guy was a controlling jerk, and I was hoping he'd get over it, but he didn't seem to
    I agree. I was surprised/upset Hatsumi ended up with RyogaRyoki and not Shinogu. Overall, it was still enjoyed the series, especially with the side characters like Subaru, who is such a cute and lovable otaku. All the boys are just so pretty in the manga. O_O

Edit:
    On another note, I forgot that I also bought the complete hardcover edition of Dramacon. I remember reading the first volume a long time ago, but never got to finishing it. The storyline appealed to my dreamy/fantasy love side. I was also nostalgic at many of the different personalities you come across at Anime Cons. It's also very cool to see an American manga-ka become successful.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited June 2009
    Subaru, who is such a cute and lovable otaku
    I would have gone with him. Screw that mean Ryoki.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I would have gone with him. Screw that mean Ryoga.
    Yes, Subaru was awesome. I'm actually rereading the series right now. I particularly love the scene where he comes rushing to Akane's door with his arms full of those lucky idols you get from the vending machine because she wanted a particular one. It was so sweet.
  • Hot Gimmick was one of the few Mangas I purchased from beginning to end.
    The girly drama was ridiculous, but I think I kept reading it just waiting for Hatsumi to grow a backbone and kick everyone's butt. Subaru and Asahi were by far my favorite characters.
    I won't lie, I enjoyed every preposterous element of that manga.
    I think Adam enjoyed it too...
  • I won't lie, I enjoyed every preposterous element of that manga.
    I think it's ok to enjoy them, just in moderation.
    I think Adam enjoyed it too...
    Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it was my good friend, Chris, who got me into the manga. We also exchange several shojo manga that we pick up that we think the other would like. We would have several funny discussions about Hana Kimi and Hot Gimmick when we were first reading them.
  • @ Ro, Oh, I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying it. It was just so outlandishly silly and I like teasing Adam. ^_^
  • Via scans I've sampled Mercenary Pierre (set during the A Hundred Year War), Blue Heaven (nutter killer loose on a Cruise ship), Agartha (a futuristic tale where water is valuable) and Blade Break (this one is great, kind of reminds me of Visionaries, with magic replacing tech n' mecha) and Vinland Saga (a superb story of vikings and their scourge across europe, awesome violent and a good history lesson). All good series

As for a purchased manga, if you like Berserk, try Blade of the Immortal, Lady Snowblood, Vagabond, Lone Wolf and Cub and Samurai Executioner. You'll be drowning in the blood of their victims.

And if you like 20th Century Boys, try Monster, Pluto, Ikigami, MPD Psycho, Death Note, Uzumaki
  • Vinland Saga (a superb story of vikings and their scourge across europe, awesome violent and a good history lesson). All good series
    This is fuckwin. Have you sampled Historie? It too is awesome.
  • I picked up Honey Huntby Miki Aihara.
    This is a pretty fun series, but there are only 2 volumes out so far. I couldn't wait, so I looked up scanslations. ^^;; I still intend on purchasing the manga as it is released.
    Only one more volume of Fruits Baskets, and it will finally be over! *sigh*
    I always get sad at the end of a series. It was a good read as long as it did last. Too bad the anime couldn't have kept going.

Everytime I'm at Borders, I keep eyeing this manga, Oishinbo. I feel like someone might have mentioned this before, but I can't find anything on the forums. Has anyone read this? It looks and sounds awesome.
  • So I'm currently reading Ouran Vol. 13. I have to say, this is probably one of my more favorite volumes. Just reading the chapters where Haruhi is realizing her emotions and feelings for Tamaki are priceless. I can already foresee an issue with Tamaki's grandmother with Haruhi. It's very similar to Tsukasa's mother not wanting Tsukushi in Tsukasa's life.

@gomidog: You were right about Hikaru and Kaoru. I easily enjoy their relationships with eachother and Haruhi. Volume 12 was really good at showing this.

I also picked up Yostuba&! Vol. 7. It's been a while since I had my Yotsuba fix. Yen Press needs to hurry and release them faster. -_-
  • If you're not reading Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei, you're a jerk. Just FYI.
    As if you didn't have enough reasons to call me a jerk already.
    As if you didn't have enough reasons to call me a jerk already.
    Seriously though Nine, you should really lighten up a bit, because a lot of us think you're totally awesome and friendly on Skype. Why can't that come across on the forums?
    Then I am a jerk, I guess.
  • Seriously though Nine, you should really lighten up a bit, because a lot of us think you're totally awesome and friendly on Skype. Why can't that come across on the forums?
    THE PROBLEM IS NOT ME, YOU KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE!
  • Is the Zetsubou Sensei manga any less tired than the anime? I watched the first two seasons and by the end of the second it seemed to have run out of ideas.
    I've found a couple recently that are quite good: Piano forest (Piano no mori), and Vinland saga. Otherwise I read Bartender, Black lagoon, Bleach, Negima, Battle Angel Alita, and a couple others I don't really keep up with.
  • and Vinland saga
    YEAH. Grab Historie too.