This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MANGA!

Comments

• and Vinland saga
    YEAH. Grab Historie too.
    Started reading it, looks good.

A friend recommended Kenji to me and it sounds interesting, has anyone here read it?
    Also One Piece is ridiculous and frustrates me.
  • I just finished volume 20 of Nana..

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU........

ARGH!

Nana 21 doesn't come out until July. I'm so tempted to check the scanlations of it.
  • I know how you feel, Ro. Sigh...
  • edited July 2010
    I just finished volume 20 of Nana.
    I won the first volume at a Anime League picnic, is it any good? And when I say good, I mean will I like it. I am kinda new to shojo, I have only read Kare Kano before and the first volume of Peach Girl and I thought they were both okay but not amazing.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited May 2010
    I don't know whether or not to really like Franken Fran, or to utterly deny that such a work exists on this planet.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I just picked up not simple by Natsume Ono and The Museum of Terror by Junji Ito. Both excellent. I really like Ito's style and the small insanities that is comics always have (He also did Uzumaki.) Ono also did Restorante Paradiso, which I'm hoping to pick up soon.
  • I won the first volume at a Anime League picnic, is it any good? And when I say good, I mean will I like it. I am kinda new to shojo, I hvae only read Kare Kano before and the first volume of Peach Girl and I thought they were both okay but not amazing.
    I enjoy it. KareKano was great because it went further into the actual relationships of couples vs. most shojou which just tells the story of how people eventually get together.

Nana can be considered the same. However, instead of the occasional love triangle it's a dodecahedron instead. I think it's worth the go.

I will also say vol 21 was beyond worse than 20. I was crying with disbelief, even though it made sense. Vol 22 doesn't even have a street date. T_T
  • I won the first volume at a Anime League picnic, is it any good? And when I say good, I mean will I like it. I am kinda new to shojo, I hvae only read Kare Kano before and the first volume of Peach Girl and I thought they were both okay but not amazing.
    I enjoy it. KareKano was great because it went further into the actual relationships of couples vs. most shojou which just tells the story of how people eventually get together.

Nana can be considered the same. However, instead of the occasional love triangle it's a dodecahedron instead. I think it's worth the go.

I will also say vol 21 was beyond worse than 20. I was crying with disbelief, even though it made sense. Vol 22 doesn't even have a street date. T_T
    That because it's still to be continued in Japan. It's been on hiatus since the artist's sickness and have no idea when it will comeback. It's been over a year....*cry*

Eh? I surely didn't say that.
  • edited July 2010
    Eh? I surely didn't say that.
    Uhoh attack of the misquotes. It was a few posts above I was quoting, I think E.I.Joe.

But yeah, I just read that about the author of Nana. Very sad.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm up to volume 7 of Monster. It kicks total ass.
    Wait till you get to vol 9 and 10.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm up to volume 7 of Monster. It kicks total ass.
    Good things or bad things (quality-wise)?
  • edited July 2010
    I'm up to volume 7 of Monster. It kicks total ass.
    It's good the whole way through, but I think the middle of the series is the high point.
    Post edited by Sail on
    It's good the whole way through, but I think the middle of the series is the high point.
    There is some good stuff in the middle, but I think the whole end bit is the most "on the edge of your seat" part of the series.
  • I would love to read more Monster, but I'm unable to find volumes 5 and 6 anywhere (at least anywhere with reasonable price).
  • edited July 2010
    BECK is so awesome. I read volumes 3-6 today, and I'll start ordering the other volumes shortly. Like Scott Pilgrim, the main character strikes a chord with me. This series kicks ass.

EDIT: Tokyopop stalled it at volume 12. Bastards. Hopefully it comes back into print, or I'll need to torrent it.
  • BECK is so awesome. I read volumes 3-6 today, and I'll start ordering the other volumes shortly. Like Scott Pilgrim, the main character strikes a chord with me. This series kicks ass.
    Too bad Tokyopop stopped putting out new volumes.
  • edited July 2010
    BECK is so awesome. I read volumes 3-6 today, and I'll start ordering the other volumes shortly. Like Scott Pilgrim, the main character strikes a chord with me. This series kicks ass.
    Too bad Tokyopop stopped putting out new volumes.
    You posted as I was editing. But yeah, it sucks. Apparently, they lost the rights and Kodansha isn't putting it out in english. I'll have to download the rest and maybe buy a Kindle.
  • edited July 2010
    The scans of Beck are readily available online, but the series cuts off without an ending because the writer put it on "hiatus". I've read it all though, and it's all very good. I think I prefer the anime, though.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Anybody else here read Saint Young Men? It's basically a really awesome manga based on this simple premise "Jesus and Buddha are roommates in modern day Tokyo". Check it out if you haven't.
  • "Jesus and Buddha are roommates in modern day Tokyo"
    Wow, best premise ever.
  • The scans of Beck are readily available online, but the series cuts off without an ending because the writer put it on "hiatus". I've read it all though, and it's all very good. I think I prefer the anime, though.
    I didn't know it was on hiatus. That makes me a sad panda. However, I've been considering buying the anime.
    Anybody else here read Saint Young Men? It's basically a really awesome manga based on this simple premise "Jesus and Buddha are roommates in modern day Tokyo". Check it out if you haven't.
    I've been considering reading it for a while. Never got to it, though.
  • Anybody else here read Saint Young Men? It's basically a really awesome manga based on this simple premise "Jesus and Buddha are roommates in modern day Tokyo". Check it out if you haven't.
    I've been wanting to read it. It's so ludicrously popular, I can't figure out why it hasn't been licensed here.
  • Been reading 20th Century Boys and Gantz, which has gone batshit crazy in the last few years. It's the most unpredictable thing I've ever read.
  • I've been wanting to read it. It's so ludicrously popular, I can't figure out why it hasn't been licensed here.
    I have it. There are Japanese volumes from Kinokuniya, and I have scanslations too.
  • Okay, so I have the opportunity to get all of Death Note, mint condition, for about $45-$50. Should I do it? Is the manga worth it?
  • edited July 2010
    Okay, so I have the opportunity to get all of Death Note, mint condition, for about $45-$50. Should I do it? Is the manga worth it?
    $130 worth of a good manga for $50? That's a steal. Even if it was mediocre (which the later parts kind of are), that's still a really good deal. However, if you've watched that anime series, it's not worth your time to read the manga.

Short answer: Yes, take that.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • However, if you've watched that anime series
    I missed huge parts of it.
  • However, if you've watched that anime series
    I missed huge parts of it.
    The manga is much better paced than the series. Buy it.