This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• The "college town" that was built is not a real college town, it is basically a shopping complex with some hotels, a Barnes and Noble, and some restaurants. Real college towns are actual villages where real people live.
    It means something a little different in the UK. For example, Leeds is a uni town - In that the population in the city temporarily swells by about 20 thousand when school's on. When it's holidays, the place is empty.

I've actually never heard of Gomidog/Trogdor's meaning of "College Town". Every other time I've heard that phrase used, it's been like the meaning you stated.
  • Yeah... to me it's a town where one of the primary economic factors is the local colleges and universities. In my town the population is "100,000" +/- 20000 students depending on the season.

I can literally go eat at any restaurant downtown for lunch during the summer and make it back to work on time. I cannot ever do that while school is in session.
  • To me, a college town is simply a physical place in or near a campus where the culture and economy are heavily tied to the presence of college students.

Granted, our best times at RIT involved isolating ourselves in hidden rooms playing esoteric games for hours on end. ;^)
  • We had that when I was at school. When term time was on there was a large increase in students with disposable income. It build some strange financial tides and some very niche business.
  • Can we spread these "bath salts" into the atmosphere so that it causes an entire city of people to turn into zombies?
  • Can we spread these "bath salts" into the atmosphere so that it causes an entire city of people to turn into zombies?
    Apparently they're quite nice.
  • I still wouldn't recommend it.
    Also, apparently, face-eating guy had NO trace of drugs in his system. He was just grade-a face-eating crazy.
  • Baseless guess: cult. Keep your firearms near, you'll need them.
    Well, he was very religious and read his bible regularly.
    Well, he was very religious and read his bible regularly.
    Just when I think I don't need a concealed carry permit...
  • edited June 2012
    So, I've never played Resident Evil 4. Do I get the Gamecube or Wii version? Either would set me back about $10 on Amazon.

[Edit] Apparently the Wii version supports playing with the Gamecube controller. I guess that solves that, unless anyone has anything else to say.
    Post edited by Sail on
    Also, apparently, face-eating guy had NO trace of drugs in his system. He was just grade-a face-eating crazy.
    I have avoided anything to do with that story. I just don't need to know.
  • So, I've never played Resident Evil 4. Do I get the Gamecube or Wii version? Either would set me back about $10 on Amazon.

[Edit] Apparently the Wii version supports playing with the Gamecube controller. I guess that solves that, unless anyone has anything else to say.
    As long as you can press A, it's all good.
  • So, I've never played Resident Evil 4. Do I get the Gamecube or Wii version? Either would set me back about $10 on Amazon.

Remember: it ain't a cutscene.
  • You ain't got time to smoke a bowl! Zombies comin' up the hill right now! Shoot 'em in the head! Shoot 'em in the head!
  • Joke's on you, game, I can smoke a joint using my toes.
  • Now I want to try that.
  • Now I want to try that.
    I'll make sure I wash my feet first.
  • Anybody know how to get rid of that annoying sound notification thing that shows up on Thinkpads whenever something makes a sound, or the volume is changed?
  • Anybody know how to get rid of that annoying sound notification thing that shows up on Thinkpads whenever something makes a sound, or the volume is changed?
    Do a fresh install of windows with the product key likely on a sticker on the laptop.

Remember: it ain't a cutscene.
    Play Shenmue as practice.
  • Do those wide, shallow bowls they serve curry in have a certain name?
  • Shallow bowls?
  • edited June 2012
    Not plates, they're deeper than that. I've been looking for them on Amazon and haven't seen them in plates or bowls. Something like this:
    A wide, shallow bowl with a rim.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited June 2012
    It's just a soup bowl or rim soup bowl from a 5+ minute google search.

Page 155.

http://www.topdinnerware.com/dinnerware-information/all-types-of-bowls-and-i-still-want-more/
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Exactly that, thanks Ro!
  • edited June 2012
    So, I'm messing around with a landline phone and I found that I can press the buttons by shorting certain pins together. What's the best way to control this electronically? (with an arduino) The closest I found was this but I'd need multiple COM pins. I'm connecting one of four pins to one of 6 pins.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Are you trying to get into phone phreaking? Because I don't think that works anymore.