This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Yes. Yes it is.
  • edited June 2012
    Zombies always lack higher brain function, vampires don't.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited June 2012
    That's like saying babies born with anencephaly are human, Sonic. You're flying in the face of the general Undead Rights consensus.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Since vampires are a kind of undead, and are therefore not technically really alive...
    if they cut their hair, does it stay that length forever?
    Haven't you seen/read Interview with a Vampire? It grows back instantly so you can never change! [insert youtube clip of Claudia freaking out that I can't seem to find] :-P

I had a thought about vampires and zombies the other day. What if there was a zombipocalypse, meaning humans are dying out, so the vampires start running out of food (if they are of the can't-drink-from-the-dead type)? They'd have to help the remaining humans survive... Badass vampire vs zombie action! :O
  • That's 3 factors.
    And fanatical devotion to the pope. 4 Factors.
  • Since vampires are a kind of undead, and are therefore not technically really alive...
    if they cut their hair, does it stay that length forever?
    Haven't you seen/read Interview with a Vampire? It grows back instantly so you can never change! [insert youtube clip of Claudia freaking out that I can't seem to find] :-P
    Nope, I haven't seen it, so thank you for the insight!
  • "Traditional" vampires, it grows at the same rate as before death, or sometimes instantly, but it's really not often covered, and varies from author to author. Book versions of Ann rice vampires, it grows out to what they had previously when they "rest", if I remember correctly - a few times, Lestat trims his hair short, and it goes back rapidly. No idea how it goes back to the same style, I assume it's some magic tomfoolery. No word on colouring, but I can tell you that the bloke on a few of the Lestat book covers has a terrible dye-job, more roots showing than a glass-walled brothel. Ann Rice Movies, it goes back instantly. Not covered in most other vampire movies, but blade's hair does change slightly between films. Buffy-verse vampires, Grows slower, but still grows. Twilight vampires, I don't think you can actually cut their hair, but it's up for debate - I'd wager if you could, then it would grow back at the normal rate.
  • Remember that Anne Rice's vampires don't play by vampire rules, though. Lestat eats a bunch of other vampires and becomes a fire-breathing, flying demigod by the end of the series.

Also worth noting that Anne Rice went batshit crazy and fired her editor, so you may not want to consider anything past Queen of the Damned canon--especially given how fucking nuts the plot of Memnoch the Devil was. She then went so crazy that she disowned all of The Vampire Chronicles and now only writes about Jesus.
  • Remember that Anne Rice's vampires don't play by vampire rules, though. Lestat eats a bunch of other vampires and becomes a fire-breathing, flying demigod by the end of the series.

Also worth noting that Anne Rice went batshit crazy and fired her editor, so you may not want to consider anything past Queen of the Damned canon--especially given how fucking nuts the plot of Memnoch the Devil was. She then went so crazy that she disowned all of The Vampire Chronicles and now only writes about Jesus.
    So Jesus is a vampire? I thought he was a zombie.
  • edited June 2012
    Jesus is a zombie, but many Catholic and Orthodox Christians are vampires who subsist on Jesus' blood and can thereby hide themselves more effectively.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I misread "Orthodox Vampires" and I imagined goth hipsters being all "I only follow orthodox vampirism.".
  • edited June 2012
    Vampires=Zombies because both are Undead is a Logical Fallacy. (False Equivalence?) "Undead" is a broad category of monsters, and zombies and vampires are merely two sub-types within that group. You are forgetting liches, ghost skeletons, and various other supernatural undead types. Not all of these are zombies. Just because things share traits, does not mean they are equivalent.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Emily is spot on.

Also it's good to remember that literary depictions of monsters only fit to an "ideal type". Imagine a venn diagram, and each author's "rules" can be placed within that. There will be two different rule sets of the same monster that have nothing in common with each other, and can still somehow be called the same monster. This is because they will each overlap enough other rule sets to be held within the same ideal type.

For more on this idea, check out Ideal Type on wikipedia.
  • It's like saying Chinese people are the same as Koreans because they're both Asian. Don't be racists against Vampires, kids.
  • Whatever. Doesn't matter. Shotgun to the face will do em in just the same.

Honestly, though, the main reason I say that is because it annoys my sister. She's a bit of a nut on vampires.
  • Twitard?
    Oh HELL no. She's more of a Anne Rice fan.
  • edited June 2012
    Whatever. Doesn't matter. Shotgun to the face will do em in just the same.
    Not every version of vampire. Some of them can get totally torn up and come back together all Baccano style. Some, the method of wounding has to be with a certain substance or weapon, and has to be in the heart. Vampires are a varied bunch of fictional monsters.
    Honestly, though, the main reason I say that is because it annoys my sister. She's a bit of a nut on vampires.
    I wish all those vampire romance fetish girls would get a new turn on. How about android computers with AI? They don't want to eat you, they are vulnerable and don't fully understand their emotions, and bet they sparkle up a storm.

Actually, I had an idea for a Vampire story a few weeks ago. Rather than draining blood, vampires drain the life force of someone over time, causing them to feel fatigued and then waste away slowly until they die. The catch? The feeding is often inadvertent, and corresponds with how much you care about the person. I was reading about how TB was often taken as Vampirism in the old days because it would kill the infected person's loved ones after they died. There could be a guy who almost causes his girlfriend and pets to die without realizing what is going on, and then in horror, leaves them. After he almost starves, he joins to priesthood and in the story he works at a Catholic hospital, giving last rites and basically feeding off the already ailing old people, eventually killing them. The story could be confessed by him to a nurse who befriends him and realizes that there is something weird going on.
  • I wish all those vampire romance fetish girls would get a new turn on.
    To be fair, I think there has always been a bit of a sexual thing attached to vampires.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah, actually vampires can be pretty sexy. It's all about seduction, even back in the day, with Dracula.
    Also - Carmilla? Hot stuff.
  • Yeah, exactly. A lot of old vampire stories have those sort of undertones. It's just sort of come back into style again.
  • edited June 2012
    I wish all those vampire romance fetish girls would get a new turn on. How about android computers with AI? They don't want to eat you, they are vulnerable and don't fully understand their emotions, and bet they sparkle up a storm.
    Fruits Circuits?
    EDIT: Nevermind. Someone just needs to make a western harem version of this and girls will forget all about Twilight.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Does RIT have any kind of college town? I saw people saying that they were trying to build oneva few years ago, but I don't know how that's gone.
  • What do you mean by "college town"?
  • Does RIT have any kind of college town? I saw people saying that they were trying to build oneva few years ago, but I don't know how that's gone.
    No, that part of Rochester is by no means a college town. You need a car to get anywhere interesting.
  • edited June 2012
    The "college town" that was built is not a real college town, it is basically a shopping complex with some hotels, a Barnes and Noble, and some restaurants. Real college towns are actual villages where real people live.
  • The "college town" that was built is not a real college town, it is basically a shopping complex with some hotels, a Barnes and Noble, and some restaurants. Real college towns are actual villages where real people live.
    Oh, I didn't know that's what he was referring to. Yeah, Park Point does not make Henrietta a college town. It's kinda meh.

But the area really isn't that bad if you can get transportation, especially when compared with a school like RPI - Troy, NY is seriously the middle of nowhere. There's nothing there. Henrietta, on the other hand, has lots of restaurants, shopping centers, grocery stores, etc, and if you can get a ride to Rochester (the Tiger East End Express might be able to help), there's plenty to do there.
  • edited June 2012
    The "college town" that was built is not a real college town, it is basically a shopping complex with some hotels, a Barnes and Noble, and some restaurants. Real college towns are actual villages where real people live.
    It means something a little different in the UK. For example, Leeds is a uni town - In that the population in the city temporarily swells by about 20 thousand when school's on. When it's holidays, the place is empty.

Post edited by Churba on