This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: Comic Cataclysm

edited February 2011 in Art!
Do you make comics? Or have ideas for comics? Let's all post them here!

Right now I'm working on Sketch Dump and Shattered. Sketch Dump is a silly journal comic that occasionally delves into other project idea "betas." Shattered is going to be a storyline involving me (I'm the easiest character I can write for) going into different dimensions/realities where I'm in a different theme. For instance, one is Martial Arts/Dragon Ball, where we're all parodies of those characters, another is my friends and I as rock stars. The only issue is that I can't think of enough themes, so I can't finish my awesome promo picture for the comic.

Comments

• The only issue is that I can't think of enough themes, so I can't finish my awesome promo picture for the comic.
    What have you got so far and how many more do yo need?
  • The only issue is that I can't think of enough themes, so I can't finish my awesome promo picture for the comic.
    What have you got so far and how many more do yo need?
    I have 7, and I need 3 more for the device I'm using to get to the different universes.

1. Martial Arts
    2. Space (Star Trek)
    3. Medieval
    4. Greek (Gods and Mythology)
    5. Rockstar
    6. Superhero
    7. Cowboy
  • Film noir, post apocalypse, pirates, 1920s gangsters, yakuza, and ER doctors all come to mind.
  • edited February 2011
    Film noir, post apocalypse, pirates, 1920s gangsters, yakuza, and ER doctors all come to mind.
    OH MAN. One I forgot about: Zombie Apocalypse. That was the last one.

Film Noir sounds fun, but I need to get more acquainted with it.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • You could go to the human apocalypse, where hordes of blood-thirsty humans are hunting down the last surviving zombies who are attempting a last stand.
  • I have a few comic ideas. One that I'm really liking and want to do something with is the story of a bunch of misfit animals (some abandoned pets, some strays, and a few zoo escapees) trying to get by in a city park.
  • You could go to the human apocalypse, where hordes of blood-thirsty humans are hunting down the last surviving zombies who are attempting a last stand.
    Hmmm... In the comic, the alternate-universe Joshes think about alternate universes, so maybe Zombie Josh wouldn't eat me!
  • Well, I've made a few comics in my past. Right now I'm having a break from virtually everything as my final exam are closing in.

Anyway, I wanted to at the very least show you people something, so here's the latest one. It's a one panel, but I think it still qualifies as a comic strip.
  • I made this in an effort to shame my artist friend into following through with a promise she made me before winter break. Here's the actual comic.
  • I madethisin an effort to shame my artist friend into following through with a promise she made me before winter break. Here's the actual comic.
    (comic)
    Haha, I do feel for your artist friend. Those 'blocks' are hard to get rid of unless you simply power through it. That's why it's good to work on a schedule, it's like studying really.
  • The best comic you'll ever read

this is my auto bio read it at you own discretion
  • So, in honor of V-Day, I'm making stupid Valentine's cards for each Sketch Dump this week.
  • Actually, I worked on that new comic I talked about to start the thread and forgot to update 2 out of my 3 days. But...
    Shattered will be coming out April 7th, and each update day this week I'm going to talk about a difference aspect of the comic. Thursday is characters, Saturday is art-style.
  • Is there no one else that wants to talk about comics they are making? Because I feel kinda gross triple posting, even though I feel you'll like this.
    It's the first page of Issue 0, colored and inked. Second page is coming along nicely, and the whole issue is planned out to be ~14 pages, updating on Thursdays/Fridays. The cover has gone through about 7 revisions, so I think that'll be last thing I do for the 0th installment.

Someone else please talk about their comic?
  • No one else around here really makes comics except for Ananth and Funfetus, neither of which seem to post anymore.
  • Welp, that's kinda lame. I guess the topic will die a quiet death. It would have liked that.
  • No one else around here really makes comics except for Ananth and Funfetus, neither of which seem to post anymore.
    Technically I do, but certainly not at the level of a pro. I did give a comic theory talk with Ananth at Connecticon last year.
  • Oh right, you wrote Abstract Gender once upon a time, didn't you?
  • Oh right, you wrote Abstract Gender once upon a time, didn't you?
    I drew that (terribly,) the writer was someone else.
  • I also technically make comics, but I haven't really been on the ball with that lately. Maybe I'll put aside some time for King Hobo over spring break.
  • The current thing that's stopping me from scanning and cleaning up my test comic is dealing with student teaching garbage. The comic is called Starlight Vagabonds and is a high fantasy story set on a far distant world populated by weird aliens instead of the usual fantasy species.
  • edited February 2011
    No one else around here really makes comics except for Ananth and Funfetus, neither of which seem to post anymore.
    I make comics. I just have not made any substantial comics for a couple of years. Too busy with Animatating.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited May 2011
    My cousin John and I started this improvisational tag-team comic a while back, and this is as far as we got before he had to take a break because of too much real work. My cousin is an awesome concept artist who's worked on movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Van Helsing, and Passion of the Christ, and games like Guild Wars, but I think this is the first time he's ever tried to do comics. This is four segments, and we each took about an hour per segment.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Wait a minute is this the same comic you linked a while back showing a velociraptor type dinosaur in a space shuttle/station?

I like where this is going.
  • Wait a minute is this the same comic you linked a while back showing a velociraptor type dinosaur in a space shuttle/station?
    Haha! No, that's actually a totally different thing. Those were tryout pages for an adaptation of a George R. R. Martin story that was going to be published by Ape Entertainment. This is eerily similar, though, isn't it? I tried to get my cousin to really run with it with that "what the?!" panel, but he kinda kicked the can down the road, so I had to kinda force something with that monster showing up.
  • Couple more pages:

• Panel 3 reminds me of Indiana Jones.

My money is on the dinosaur, however from only seeing two characters so far, there has to be at least one survivor.
  • edited May 2011
    Last panel is giving me some problems with it's perspective. First I thought the guy was too high up to be vaulting over a wall but I went back to the one before and he's meant to be on some elevated walkway; However, the floor's perspective makes it seem like the viewer should be able to see the top of the walkway but.. the perspective of the ceiling doesn't seem to match up. Did you use a ruler or do this by ear?

I also prefer the rough and more atmospheric style of the top panels for more of a horror aesthetic while the lower two seem to be better suited to an action comic.
    Specifically: The way shadows blend, spill and cover things (Especially the eyes, if you look at the second panel and the fifth panel, there's a real difference.).

It goes without saying that it's quite impressive.

Correction: Ah, I see it's done by two different people, thus, the inconsistent art styles.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • @Ro -- Your guess is as good as mine. We're making this up as we go along.

@Omnutia -- You're right, I totally lost the perspective on the floor. It's accurate around the middle, where the guy's lying on the floor, but it drifts as we get further out. I'm looking at my underdrawing again, and it looks like I just didn't use nearly enough perspective gridlines in that area. We're cranking these out in about an hour per "page", so that's what I get. Nope, no rulers -- I'm taking this as an opportunity to practice my freehand architectural drawing, which I want to move to entirely eventually. I think it's just a better look if it's done well, as well as giving you a bit more leeway to fudge things.