This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: Comic Cataclysm

2»

Comments

• Here are a couple of pages strictly for taking this new style I've been developing for a test-drive. This is basically how I'm planning on drawing my upcoming webcomic. I've been trying to optimize this style for speed, and I wanted to see how fast it was going to be in practice. I was aiming for three hours per page, but these came in under two hours each! I'm super stoked.
  • If I could fuck as well as you draw, I'd be the most popular man in the world.
  • Somehow I've missed reading this page for a while, so missed the back-and-forth comics above. Great stuff! Dinosaurs in space are always fun.

Can I ask what is so different about the style of the comics above compared to your normal style, so that you can draw them so much faster?

(Second panel on the second page looks like it is part of the first, and I wondered what the chasing guy is doing in another window as the chased guy jumps out the window. Took me a while to work out that the glass flying out of the panel overlaps the next. I'm not very good at reading comics!)
  • If I could fuck as well as you draw, I'd be the most popular man in the world.
    Great, thanks. There's no way to praise the work and top that.

Also, in panel 2 the guy looks like the self-portrait. Are you making an autobiographical strip Funfetus?
  • edited June 2011
    @Churba -- haha, thanks man. That's an interesting way of putting it.

@Luke -- the difference is a few things. First of all, these are manga-sized pages, so they're actually just smaller pages with less to draw on them. So they're not quite four times faster than my regular pages -- but at least twice to three times as fast. The main difference is that this style is more cartoony, so there's less complex construction to do for the figures, and it's a little more forgiving as far as proportion and anatomy. There's less detail overall. I'm freehanding the perspective for the backgrounds, and not using rulers -- that actually makes each line slower to draw, but makes the whole process faster overall. It's also more forgiving to fudging things a bit, for compositional purposes, or whatever. And finally, I'm just lowering the quality bar a bit -- not sweating every line having to be perfect. Really, though -- this is the way I'd prefer to draw comics, if I had my druthers. I've never had as much fun drawing comics as I did drawing these pages.

Also, it's interesting you mention the panel-break in the second page -- that's something I seldom do, specifically because it can be confusing, but I figured what the hell, these pages aren't for anything.

@Nine -- He kinda does, huh? Actually, the self-portrait just didn't look much like me. I'm very generic-looking, so it's hard to caricature myself. This is just a random dude -- this isn't part of the webcomic I'm going to be doing, it's just a few random pages of an action scene to try the style out.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Here's the rest of my test-drive pages. They all came in under 2 hours, except for the last one, which was 2 hours 4 minutes.
  • Manga Studio EX for £62. That's a two thirds saving and it's only once every few months they do this.

Offer ends Sunday.
  • Short story comic idea is called Regret is Weird. I haven't been able to work right on comics and stuff, so why not make those unproductive feelings productive?
  • That is the scariest 404 I've ever seen.
  • Started coloring Shattered digitally instead of with colored pencils. I, and most of my friends, have taken quite a liking to the finished cover.