This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Films you need more of

Of coarse Camp films are on the list
But I need a serious film of Western/horror as in Jacob's ladder on a Ranch or R-rated scooby-doo.
How about more Cage Rage. Nicolas Cage needs more serious roles and more dramas.
Vin Diesel? How would you like to be a slasher villain?
Jason Statham? How about 5 more Crank films?
Robert Patterson? how about you stop acting. Your a horrible actor. Even before twilight.
David Lynch? finish the new season of Twin peaks already.
Jame Cameron? Keep doing what you're doing, it's great. Can't wait for the next Heavy Metal blue people Avatar.
Christian bale? Act more.

Comments

• Christian bale? Act.
  • Christian bale? Act.
    Other than the not-so-great Batman voice, I have yet to see a film where I did not enjoy him. I've like Christian Bale since Empire of the Sun and I watched that when it came out.
  • Jason Statham? How about 5 more Crank films?
    This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.This.
  • I watched Liar, Liar last night. Jim Carrey needs to make more silly movies.
  • Jim Carrey needs to only make silly movies.
  • I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night. Jim Carrey needs to make more serious movies.
  • I watchedEternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mindlast night. Jim Carrey needs to make moreseriousmovies.
    This. Also for additional reference see The Truman Show
  • I watchedEternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mindlast night. Jim Carrey needs to make moreseriousmovies.
    This. Also for additional reference seeThe Truman Show
    This. Also, for additional reference, see Man On the Moon.
  • Man On the Moon
    Oh shit that movie made me cry.
  • Man On the Moon
    The movie (and soundtrack) was good, but Andy Kaufman wasn't funny.
  • Man On the Moon
    Says the girl who likes The Last Unicorn. :D
  • -Good Romantic Comedies. None of this Katherine Heigl or Jennifer Aniston bullshit about farces, people who don't talk and slapstick.
    -More Apatow Films
    -More Edgar Wright Films
    -Dwayne Johnson? Stick with action films, that's where we love ya.
    -Enough fucking sequels already. Remakes, I can take as long as they are older properties.

In response to you guys, I heard I Love You, Phillip Morris is a great combo of both drama AND comedy from Jim Carrey. Look out for it.
  • I need more Firefly on the side of some other quality sci-fi.
    I want to see more (good) vigilante movies in the vain of Law Abiding Citizen and Harry Brown. Or perhaps something more out there, like Rorschach from Watchmen.
    I want to see a new Christopher Nolan film every other month. He hasn't been able to disappoint me yet.

-Dwayne Johnson? Stick with action films, that's where we love ya.
    I am watching his movie "Faster" right now, and I think you're right. Although, I did kind of like his gay-role on Be Cool.
  • -Good Romantic Comedies.None of this Katherine Heigl or Jennifer Aniston bullshit about farces, people who don't talk and slapstick.
    Have you seen Love, Actualy? It's back from 2003 but I always bring it up when people ask for non-vapid romantic comedies.
  • Man On the Moon
    Says the girl who likesThe Last Unicorn. :D
    Says the guy that won't even watch The Last Unicorn. :P Seriously, if you haven't read the book, then you really should. The movie is nice, but the book is far better.
  • I stand corrected. I wasn't aware he was in those.

We need more hardboiled movies. More good scifi. More Coen brothers, Guy Ritchie, and Edgar Wright. I wouldn't mind a well-made sequel to Black Dynamite.

Some possible movie adaptations:
    -Hyperion, by Dan Simmons
    -Disciple of the Dog, by Bakker
    -A REAL Golden Compass movie (written by Stephen Moffat)
  • I can sum it up pretty easily.

We need more long movies.

I've been continuing watching the IMDB top 250 again. Most of these movies are really fucking long. In other words, the truly great movies are more like 3 hours long, not 90 measly minutes. Yet, Hollywood seems to be afraid to produce anything 3 hours long anymore. I think that's a big part of why none of the recent greats are all-time greats. The Godfather is 175 minutes. Imagine if they forced it to be 90!
  • Dwayne Johnson? Stick with action films, that's where we love ya.
    Every time I see that I have to wonder who that is and then "...ooooh, The Rock."

What I want is more space westerns a la: Bebop, Firefly, Trigun.
  • I completely agree with the above. The majority of people I know have this habit of dismissing movies over 90 minute with a groan. I do not trust their opinions on movies because of this, yet hollywood is catering to them. Very frustrating.

I know it's not the greatest example because not everybody likes the movies, but you see guys like Tarantino being forced to make Kill Bill into 2 movies. How would it have turned out if he could have tied them together and trimmed the fat on each, turning in a 150 minute piece?

I've been continuing watching the IMDB top 250 again. Most of these movies are really fucking long. In other words, the truly great movies are more like 3 hours long, not 90 measly minutes. Yet, Hollywood seems to be afraid to produce anything 3 hours long anymore. I think that's a big part of why none of the recent greats are all-time greats. The Godfather is 175 minutes. Imagine if they forced it to be 90!
    Along these lines, we need more high class movie theatres. Instead of the mall style, fast food movie theatres these days, there need to be places where you are treated as if you were about to see an opera or ballet. Have a proper bar and serve hors d'œuvre as well as light meals. Not only would it make the experience more enjoyable, it would enable people to properly enjoy the length films Scott mentioned.

Along these lines, we need more high class movie theatres. Instead of the mall style, fast food movie theatres these days, there need to be places where you are treated as if you were about to see an opera or ballet. Have a proper bar and serve hors d'œuvre as well as light meals. Not only would it make the experience more enjoyable, it would enable people to properly enjoy the length films Scott mentioned.
    Intermission is all you need. I remember when I was very young going to see movies they still had intermission. I don't know why theaters got rid of intermission, since it would really help their concessions sales. It would also let people hit the restroom without missing anything. Also, less people would obey the no-phone rules if they knew they were going to be able to check it halfway through.
  • not 90 measly minutes
    When the hell was the last time you saw a 90-minute movie in theaters? Typical running time these days is 2 hours, and it's often longer.
  • Although an intermission would boost concession sales, I'd buy it if someone were to claim that more sales could be had by squeezing in an entire extra showing by saving the time instead of having intermission.
  • not 90 measly minutes
    When the hell was the last time you saw a 90-minute movie in theaters? Typical running time these days is 2 hours, and it's often longer.
    The great films were 3 hours, and often longer.
  • Along these lines, we need more high class movie theatres. Instead of the mall style, fast food movie theatres these days, there need to be places where you are treated as if you were about to see an opera or ballet. Have a proper bar and serve hors d'œuvre as well as light meals. Not only would it make the experience more enjoyable, it would enable people to properly enjoy the length films Scott mentioned.
    See if you can find a Showcase Cinema De Lux around you. The one in Connecticut has a bar and restaurant that delivers to your seat in the theater.
  • edited February 2011
    The great films were 3 hours, and often longer.
    #1 is 2 hours 22 minutes. That's not 3 hours. In fact, only 3 of the top 10 are 3+ hours long. Twelve Angry Men, one of the best movies ever, is 96 minutes long.

In the top 50, there are 8 movies that are 3+ hours long. If we're generous and decide to include The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (161 minutes) and Saving Private Ryan (169 minutes), we come up with 20% of the top 50 movies being 3+ hours.

Just as many of the top 50 are about 100 minutes or less.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited February 2011
    -Good Romantic Comedies.None of this Katherine Heigl or Jennifer Aniston bullshit about farces, people who don't talk and slapstick.
    Have you seenLove, Actualy? It's back from 2003 but I always bring it up when people ask for non-vapid romantic comedies.
    I haven't seen that, but heard good things about it. But the ratio of bad to good romantic comedies is 20 to 1.

And I agree with Scott's opinion to on the length of movies. I really like Apatow's so much because not only are they real, but they are long and constantly engaging. And at this point, you have to sell the experience of going to a movie. Because even a Matinee is 8 dollars, and the costs inside the theaters like foodstuffs are increasing in price. (Even if you have a "card" to a larger movie chain, the deals/rewards accumulate too slowly)

Even some movies now are getting away with films that are only 75 Minutes Long, or they have 10 minute long credit sequences, and that's why they get approved.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I need more historical dramas (i.e. Nicholas and Alexandra) and movie versions of newer plays.
  • More films with Woody Harrelson.
  • edited February 2011
    I need more historical dramas (i.e.Nicholas and Alexandra) and movie versions of newer plays.
    This version of Macbeth might tickle your fancy.

Highlights - It's Shakespeare, actually done as Shakespeare, not a DeCaprio squealing teenage girl star vehicle, Sam worthington is both a good choice for the role, and much to the suprise of all, when not put in an action movie where his stage directions are "Grimace, growl, and stay out of the way of the CGI" he can actually act, and while there are deviations from the play in some small parts - all non-plot essential, and mostly to match the setting without altering the base play, for example, the first meeting with the Witches comes from a drug trip, but still occurs pretty much as the play lays out, in the broader sense - the source is at least taken seriously, without things like goofy "Hurr durr look at this, they had swords in the play, so let's show his gun with SWORD 9MM stamped down the side because I'm baz lurman, bitches" cheeseball moments.

EDIT - Oh, and it's directed by the same guy who directed Romper stomper, the costuming is great, the Armorer was excellent, and the soundtrack is fucking immense.

Not the best trailer, but the best quality I could find on Youtube. NSFW, unless you work somewhere cool - the trailer includes partial nudity, or to put it bluntly, lads, redheads and tits begin at 54 seconds.
    Post edited by Churba on