This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110317 - Bicycles

2»

Comments

• In New York I didn't listen to anything while riding. In Berlin, where there are cycle paths, you can get away with listening to spoken word audio and not dying. I never listen to music though, as that drowns out all ambient noise.
    Yeah, podcasts seem fine as you can hear through them, the background noise. And you don't need to concentrate as much, they are usually throwaway entertainment. Now that I think about it, I never listen to music while riding anymore.

Hey, what about rear view mirrors? Helmet mounted or otherwise? They look god awful stupid, but are they worth it?
  • And you don't need to concentrate as much, they are usually throwaway entertainment.
    I'm the opposite. If I feel like "smartening" myself (gaining information) or like I need something comedic, I'll listen to a podcast, but the rest of the time I'll listen to music.
  • Hmm, still working my way through the ep, but it's been pretty interesting. I had no idea I was certainly braking and possibly even pedaling wrong. Next time I hop on my bike I'm going to pay more attention to what I'm doing and try to get better.
  • Hey, what about rear view mirrors? Helmet mounted or otherwise? They look god awful stupid, but are they worth it?
    I have one that mounts on the bar end and I've gotten quite used to it that I will often glance to my lower left while walking, only to be annoyed that it isn't there. I still turn my head and look before moving, though, but I like being able to easily see what's going on behind me.
  • edited March 2011
    I know that I should brake like I do when I drive (I have no ABS on my car), but some times it's fun locking the rear brakes and sliding sideways on wet concrete or dirt hills.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • OzOz
    edited March 2011
    I know that I should brake like I do when I drive (I have no ABS on my car), but some times it's fun locking the rear brakes and sliding sideways on wet concrete or dirt hills.
    Post edited by Oz on
  • I can't do it quite like that because I have a mountain bike, hence knobby tires, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.
  • edited March 2011
    (FAIL)
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on