This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii 2

edited April 2011 in Video Games
It's coming. (Allegedly)

Comments

• No believing until seeing. No buying until games.
    I just hope they don't pull another Brawl on us and announce a game that everyone really wants, say that it will be a launch title, and then continuously push it back for two years.
  • I don't think I've ever cared less about a Nintendo console. I don't think they could do anything that would make me want to buy it.
    I just hope they don't pull another Brawl on us and announce a game that everyone really wants, say that it will be a launch title, and then continuously push it back for two years.
    Simple. Don't pay money for the console until the game has a firm release date, or is actually released. The 3DS sold well on paper, but it's not like it's sold out everywhere. You can get one on Amazon no problem. I think the Wii 2, if real, will not sell out like crazy like the Wii unless Nintendo intentionally limits supply.
  • It's not going to sell well. I'm already seeing it not really winning.
  • I'll probably end up buying one but I'm not preordering or anything. I think if anyone was to come out with a new system it would be nintendo just because its basically using graphics technology from 10 years ago while the other systems are good enough. I don't know how it will sell but as long as it has some decent first party titles I'll end up buying it. I can see this being a reason for Nintendo to delay Zelda.
  • I'll buy it once the homebrew community figures out how to root it.
  • Until Nintendo says something, I don't give a shit about rumors.
  • I'll buy it once I can pirate all the games for free
    Can't say I blame you.
    Can't say I blame you.
    Except not really. I only use homebrew for emulators and the like.
    Can't say I blame you.
    Except not really. I only use homebrew for emulators and the like.
    oh well if thats the case just get a Wii if you don't already have one. I know my psp has mainly been used for emulation. I've pirated a few games but a lot the the games I just ripped from my legit discs to my memory stick because I'm lazy. I figure I'll probably re-homebrew my Wii once the Wii 2 comes out and there isn't likely to be any more serious updates for the Wii.
  • I still have not forgiven Nintendo for releasing Brawl with some of the most broken and unplayable online multiplayer I've ever seen. After playing Melee for four years straight in college, I was looking forward to that more than any other game to date. I will not be buying a Wii 2.
  • Brawl
    broken and unplayable online multiplayer
    ...elaborate?
  • Brawl
    ...elaborate?
    I had some pretty hardcore lag and long waits for matches.
    Except for the fact that the Wii is outselling both the 360 and PS3 by leaps and bounds. If Nintendo finds a way to keep the price down and a way to cater to both the Wii Fit and the Super Smash Brothers Brawl camps, they won't have a problem.
    Except for the fact that the Wii is outselling both the 360 and PS3 by leaps and bounds. If Nintendo finds a way to keep the price down and a way to cater to both the Wii Fit and the Super Smash Brothers Brawl camps, they won't have a problem.
    I'm pretty sure that Wii sales right now is way down. Yes, there are more Wiis out there already, but I don't think they are selling too many new Wiis.
  • I'm pretty sure that Wii sales right now is way down. Yes, there are more Wiis out there already, but I don't think they are selling too many new Wiis.
    Sales aren't exactly way down, but they have been decreasing slightly for months, but the PS3 and 360 have seen the same trend. As far as the TV consoles go, PS3 is selling the most on a weekly basis with Wii slightly under it.
  • I can't fully the say that the Wii 2 will fail because I'm not as immersed in the Wii anymore, but it just feels like there's a complete lack of interest from gamers and Nintendo overall in concern for the Wii. It took forever for them to get Netflix, there hasn't been a hyped release since Metroid: The Other M (Which many didn't like), and there's no comments either for downloadable games, (Virtual Console or Indie) and a lack of virtual console add-ons. As much as the Kinect and Move are novelties, it feels like they are now beating the Wii in terms of motion-control gaming.

Unless the Wii 2 has something to make it a true console, then it will work. But HD itself isn't that important.
  • I feel like Epic Mickey was a much more hyped game than Metroid: Other M. Also, we still have Skyward Sword looming on the horizon.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm not so jazzed for a WiiII. It can't leapfrog the other consoles by much in terms of features and motion controls haven't really gone anywhere.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Brawl
    ...elaborate?
    I had some pretty hardcore lag and long waits for matches.
    For an entire month following the launch of this game, the lag was so bad it was hilariously unplayable. I'm not sure if Nintendo worked out their issues since, or if enough people stopped trying to play that they have the server capacity for those remaining, because I gave up after a month. After going through all of the hassle to get friend codes set up (twice), it was like getting kicked in the dick to have it not work properly.
  • Any console would fail in this market. PC gaming is returning from the dead, the Xbox has a long life ahead of it, and the PS3 was supposed to last forever anyway. ;^) Nintendo would be incredibly foolish to enter the market with a new offering now, especially with such increased competition for the ultra-casual market from smartphones and tablets.

On another note, we need better terms than "casual" for people who play games but don't care about them or invest in them substantially. A "hardcore" Farmville player is a gamer: gaming is a significant portion of his life. Yet, Farmville is barely a game. Nintendo has made a great deal of its money on yet another demographic, that I think we can call the "incidental gamers." They play games, but in the same way that I watch a youtube video. It's there, I'm bored. They wouldn't extend any amount of effort to play more games, nor would they pay more for better games.
  • On another note, we need better terms than "casual" for people who play games but don't care about them or invest in them substantially.
    I call mine grandma and grandpa.
  • edited April 2011
    @ Rym - Not a bad term, really.

I'm also extremely dubious of a new system. Nintendo has shown in the past generation of systems, like the DS family and the Wii, that the new control schemes and ideas tend to be gimmicky, and the game libraries have been less than stellar. I can't think of many games that really utilize the potential that the touch-screen or the Wii controllers, and control issues aside, there are very few games on either system that I play (or want to play) with any sort of frequency. We even have a DS and a DS-Lite, I occasionally play Brain Age, but no other games have held my interest. Kate hasn't touched any DS games in years, and I think we've actually played a game over the link once or twice.
    IF they are releasing a new system this late in the game, it would need to be spectacular. Even then, I'd not buy it until it had a considerable library of games that I wanted to play.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Any console would fail in this market. PC gaming is returning from the dead, the Xbox has a long life ahead of it, and the PS3 was supposed to last forever anyway. ;^) Nintendo would be incredibly foolish to enter the market with a new offering now, especially with such increased competition for the ultra-casual market from smartphones and tablets.
    While I hope you're right I don't see PC gaming becoming a large force anytime soon, as long as publishers continue to thing of the PC market as an after thought.

The problem with the Wii is the American market of casual fratboy gamers. The Wii has some of the highest quality games of the generation, just counting the Mario games, but as long as the yearly Call of Duty sells a billion copies then just making quality games isn't going to save Nintendo.

They banked a lot of money on hardware when Sony was losing money on each hardware sale and Microsoft suffered from their support black hole because they design hardware about as well as a third grader with some cardboard and tinfoil. If Nintendo were to release a console now with better hardware for the PS3, real controllers along with the motion controllers, and support from the big companies for all the "popular" games as well as the Nintendo catalogue then they'd kill. Plus, they could charge enough to be competitive and take a loss now, just using the original Wii profits to write it off in the books.
  • I think the success of the Wii, in the end, is going to prove to be the worst thing that could have happened to Nintendo.
  • I think the success of the Wii, in the end, is going to prove to be the worst thing that could have happened to Nintendo.
    This is sort of doubt. They are making buckets and buckets of cash over this. If they got their act together, they know we'd all be back.
  • edited April 2011
    The latest rumor is that the controller has a built-in touch screen.

That's fantastic, but FUCKING WHY. Just use the 3DS as the controller, and actually FUCKING USE IT. FF:CC, Four Swords, FUCK YOU NINTENDO.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The latest rumor is that the controller has a built-in touch screen.

That's fantastic, but FUCKING WHY. Just use the 3DS as the controller, and actually FUCKING USE IT. FF:CC, Four Swords, FUCK YOU NINTENDO.
    With any luck, the 3DS will be able to function as a controller (at least maybe for some games) - assuming we read the same rumor, the controller will have a touch screen, standard buttons, and a front-facing camera. That sounds an awful lot like a 3DS to me. Maybe there will be scenarios (like FF:CC) where a 3DS could suffice for a controller? This would be absolutely game-changing, if the portable system could become a dedicated controller for the home system.
  • I think Nintendo is putting together the system because they realized they actually don't need game or game sales if they make a cheap console and sell a bazillion of them at a profit. PS3 and Xbox were sold at a loss with the idea being they are long-term investments, each customer putting in money over time through game and feature purchases. Nintendo made a cheap-ass console, sold a billion of them, and that was that. They don't need to support it to get teh monies. So I imagine they are trying to make lightning strike twice, using their old tech (DS style touch screens etc) to make a cheaper console that they can throw onto the market and let idiots buy.