This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fall 2006 anime

13»

Comments

• I just watched 4 and the plot took a twist I didn't see coming at all. What did everybody think?
  • I'm currently listening to Anime World Order. Am I the only one who finds Clarissa's voice to be totally annoying? That "slacker" accent drives me nuts.
  • Kemono(d)zume episode 7 is now out on AnimeSuki. EVERYBODY PANIC!
  • edited October 2006
    [Q]Posted By: kilarneyI'm currently listening to Anime World Order. Am I the only one who finds Clarissa's voice to be totally annoying? That "slacker" accent drives me nuts.[/Q]
    You are not, and I have major issues with AWO in general but I'll rant another day.

The Fall season has started and every day brings a flood of new first episodes. Death Note looks promising and maybe superior to the manga, Pumpkin Scissors reminds me of a combination of Full Metal Alchemist and Kenshin in a very good way, Galaxy Angel-lune is *&#%, Lovely Idol is even #$@*ier ^*&) but has some nice singing, Tokimemo Memorial is pleasant, La Corda D’Oro aka band camp full of pretty boys of questionable sexual orientation is terrible, and D-Gray Man has the same creepy feeling as that Cowboy Bebop episode with the floating crazy french fat guy.

And the first fansubs for D-Gray Man and Pumpkin Scissors just came out \o/
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I question whether or not Death Note is superior to the manga.
  • Is the healthy level of monkey maintaining in 4-7?

I don't think it's really possible, Scott. And how could you possibly judge this now? Only the promo is out...
  • Is the healthy level of monkey maintaining in 4-7?

I don't think it's really possible, Scott. And how could you possibly judge this now? Only the promo is out...
    Raw episode 1 is out, even though I didn't watch it. But that's why I question it, because I don't know.
  • I downloaded the raw (unsubbed) version of Death Note and it looks very impressive, I'm not surprised this show has a big budget and thankfully they're not squandering it like Gundam Seed. The addition of baby-skin smooth animation, unique use of color (reminds me of another show called Soul Taker) and talented voice acting and background music brings the story and characters alive better then the manga IMO. At least I don't think anyone can say the anime looses to the manga.

In other news, the first episode of the new Negima anime.. is good? I've only skimmed through the episode, but seriously the first 30 seconds had my jaw on the floor. This is like walking into a Uwe Boll movie and actually enjoying myself.. brb my mind is broken. This season is certainly starting off full of surprises.
  • Since it's not an animesuki, I thought I would point at that episode 4 of Chevalier has been posted.
  • To the Person who posted about Ouran Twins being boring, you can die in a fire (not really though)
    I think the twins are the most complex characters in the show (which is not so complex, but)...they at least have an interesting dynamic. The recognition of presonality difference, the knowlege of the younger brother that as they get older and fall in love with girls they will grow distant to each other, and the complexity of that relationship triangle with Haruhi is one of the reasons I like the show so much. Plus they play DS! (in the memories they had a gameboy)

I think you just an 801 phobe. *cough*twincest*cough*
  • hmm.. they look the same, and noone except for Haruhi can tell them apart.. whoop de do? It was pretty interesting the first time around, but they got an extra 4 episodes to wallow around in it at the expense of the other characters and it got old really fast.
  • I like the Ouran twins, too. But maybe that's got something to do with being female. XD Mostly, though, I like that they're there to mess with everyone else at the right moment. :D And they play off each other so well. But you have to admit a lot of time was spent on them. While they are probably the most complex characters that may be as much because they got an unfair amount of development compaired to the other characters as anything else. Kyouya was decently complex, Mori and Honey were never seriously developed, Haruhi spent most of her time grounding all the other characters and Tamaki was skimped on until right at the end which felt awkward to me... I found it strange that Tamaki got almost no attention in the second half of the series until the last three episodes when he was just everywhere and suddenly all the love-interest possibilities were pretty much resolved instantly.

Is Kemonozume holding up? I watched episode two and enjoyed it but got the feeling it was going to start treading some very worn ground.

I'm looking forward to Dgrayman since I read the manga and I think it'll work really well in colour with lots of movement, though I like its manga form too. Hopefully the anime goes well... Not so sure about the Death Note anime. It worked really well when you could read the written explanations/elaboration at your own pace but will it work animated? At least it sounds like it'll be well animated. And there will be Ryuk, muahaha! :D
  • Episode 5 of Chevalier has been posted. Since it's not on animesuki, I thought that I would give the heads up.
  • edited October 2006
    Watching the Ouran Host Club anime (I finally finished it over the weekend!) makes me very badly want to read the manga. (I hear it's not completed yet, though.) Agreeing with Mamath, I think that there was a lot of skimping in the character development of just about everyone but Hikaru and Kaoru. (And goddamn I don't know what people are thinking when they say that the Twins were boring, Kaoru was hands down my favorite character.) I think that show could've used two or three more heavily plot-based episodes to really wrap it up nicely— like the ending of the Fruits Basket anime, it seemed kinda thrown together.

I finally got around to watching the D-Gray Man pilot because I know a lot of people who're obsessed with the manga (even though I don't know anything it) ... I'm not entirely impressed yet. On the other hand, it seemed like a 'hey this is our main character and the premise of the world' type of intro.
    Post edited by Aido on
  • Yeah, I felt the thrown-togetherness of it. Seems to happen to any anime based on an unfinished manga (Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist...:<). I'd like to read the manga since it'll probably have a more thoroughly thought out ending but I'm not entirely willing to drag myself through the material that's already been covered in the anime. >_> Also the art scares me a bit.

D-Gray Man is very much typical shounen beat-up-the-enemy-of-the-moment in structure. And, you know, angsty backstories, yay!But the character design and style and creepiness is fun. :D I actually don't have that much to say about the actual characters or the story. >_> I haven't read a new chapter in months though so maybe something awesome happened when I wasn't looking. But colours! Yay! I'll be pleased with the D-Gray Man anime if it just manages to be colourful, fun and a little creepy. The manga changed direction dramatically a while back though so it'll be interesting to see which way whoever's producing it decides to go at the start...
  • edited October 2006
    Remember the audio from Otakon where Scrym go around and interview attendees? A common question they asked was: "Name the first ever anime." Scrym declared the correct answer to be Astro Boy. The implied idea was to show that most attendees didn't know much about anime. I wonder if Scrym ever bothered to fact check their own question? Oh, the sweet irony!
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Remember the audio from Otakon where Scrym go around and interview attendees? A common question they asked was: "Name the first ever anime." Scrym declared the correct answer to be Astro Boy. The implied idea was to show that most attendees didn't know much about anime. I wonder if Scrym ever bothered tofact checktheir own question? Oh, the sweet irony!
    We all know that there were technically other anime before Astroboy. We all know that some guy invented the phone before AGB and someone had a lightbulb before Edison.

The point is that many con-goers didn't know either one. It's one thing if you ask someone who discovered the western hemisphere and they say Columbus. It's another thing entirely if they say "I don't know" or "George Washington".
  • We all know that there were technically other anime before Astroboy.
    Technically, my flight was supposed to land at JFK. The pilot decided that Laguardia was the same thing. ;-)
  • edited October 2006
    Isn't it nice having torrents? Now I can download every single episode of Cowboy Beebop, all in one freaking download. Sweet!!!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    You could just go to the store and buy it all in one freaking clump.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Buying anime is something that becomes more difficult with a mortgage, college bills, electric bill, gas bill, water bill, telephone bill, cable bill, ISP bill, sewer bill, trash collection bill, wife's college bill, the bill for the financing on my new windows, grocery bill, gasoline bill, property tax assessment bill, duck bill, sidewalk repair assessment bill, car payment, term life insurance bill, Bill Clinton, medical insurance bill, car insurance bill, three credit card bills. There are more, but you get the point.

Anime falls at the bottom of the heap, so Bittorrent is a godsend.
  • Not to mention that, as a general rule, anime is way overpriced.
  • edited October 2006
    I'm interested in Pumpkin Scissors, but haven't had the time to check it out. What's the verdict so far - crap or not?
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Pumpkin Scissors isn't bad, but seems to be way overhyped by all the anime bloggers. There is no way it will be one of the top shows of the season, especially when Gonzo making it. The concept sounds pretty fun even if it has been done many times before (hi Kenshin!), but I'm sure Gonzo will make it bad.. somehow. The infamous animation quality drop already started with ep 3, jesus which crap korean studio did they farm that one out to >__<
  • I just watched the opener of Pumpkin Scissors on YouTube, and I'm not sure what to think about it. (Mind you, I haven't seen any of the first episode, just the opening credits.) It felt strange... it seems like there are two separate styles or tones and they don't quite fit together. The scenes surrounding the male character seemed like they were out of some gritty post-apocalyptic war drama, but then there's some brightly-colored chick in an aristocrat's gown that looks like she fell out of some period era themed dating sim? Also, the male protagonist's face was drawn with a certain level of detail and realism (for an anime, anyways,) and the girl looks like some absolutely generic shojo heroine. Unlike the male, there was nothing special, intriguing, or "real" about her... I really hope her personality is better than the stock character she looks like.

But yeah, if the opener is any indication, there's a weird discontinuity of style that I found kind of jarring. That and the name is silly and doesn't reveal anything concerning what the show is actually about :(
  • Kenshin with tanks \o/
  • Wtf :( My hopes for this show are shattered.
  • I think it'd be better if they got rid of the dog.
  • The show has all the trappings of generic pablum designed specifically to be popular among anime fans. It reminds me a lot of FMA in that respect.
  • FMA at least had a nifty setting. Pumpkin Scissors not so much. I dropped it after the first episode.