This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Remembering just how old you truly are

RymRym
edited May 2011 in Everything Else
Every now and then, I'm suddenly reminded of just how long I've been around. It seems to be a thing on the Internet lately to remind people when things came out.

My sobering realization today?

The episode of the Simpsons where Krusty was falsely accused of armed robbery... aired more than twenty years ago.

I saw it on TV.

It was one of the last episode of that season.

I watched it on TV and had already been a Simpsons fan for some time by that point.

Comments

• As I said in another thread, I was reminded of how old I am when I realized that people born when I was watching Power Rangers and playing Super Mario World at my friend's house were able to vote.

Also, what's that university that does that list of "things incoming freshmen have never known a world without" or somesuch?
  • I always like the mindset lists that get put out every year to show you what cultural touchstones the freshmen of that class are missing/have compared to their professors.

Mindset list for the class of 2014!

Now you should feel old!
  • Kurt Cobain on an oldies station? ! Noooo!

I feel old everyday. Cue the song "I wish I could go back to college ". I am surrounded by 18 and19 year olds. I'm 25
  • I just went and checked out my year, class of '02, just to see what they had to say about me when I went to college and it doesn't quite fit me.

Then I remembered I went to college a year earlier than my peers and checked out what they said about the class of '03. It's kinda weird how spot on that is!
  • My class is too old to be on that list.
  • My class is too old to be on that list.
    I guess no one thought about doing it before 98? Either that or its lost on some gopher site ... out there ... some where ...
  • Listening to a 25-year old say they're old makes me feel old. Knowing that it's unlikely anyone here watched Donnie and Marie in prime time or saw Star Wars on its first theatrical run makes me feel old. (Please please please someone one-up me and be older . . . )
  • Don't worry, Joe will show up soon to tell us all about discovering the Chesapeake Bay.
  • We may have found My Little Pony, but Joe discovered FIRE.
  • edited May 2011
    Home Alone?

I was freaked out when I found out that I share the same birth date as Macaulay Culkin. I always think of him as 7 or 8 years old. And he's my age EXACTLY! As is Captain Kirk.

Luke Burrage
    Luke Burrage (born 26 August 1980) is a British juggler , musician , entertainer and author . He was born in Kent though lived most of ...
    7 KB (973 words) - 16:47, 8 May 2011
    Macaulay Culkin
    Macaulay Carson Culkin (born August 26, 1980) is an American actor. He became widely known for his portrayal of Kevin McCallister in Home ...
    20 KB (2,528 words) - 18:22, 27 April 2011
    Chris Pine
    Christopher Whitelaw "Chris" Pine (born August 26, 1980) is an American actor . He has appeared in the romantic comedies The Princess ...
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • The ponies that we like are the fourth generation of ponies. At this rate, many of us will live to see the eighth or even tenth generation.
  • You and Chris Pine share the same birthday? Nice. He's hot.

As for realizing how old I am, I have a 2 year anniversary of my 29th birthday coming up and I'm ok with it. I realize that I'm no longer in the early 20's and staying up past midnight isn't as easy as it once was for me.

My life has adjusted to certain things, but I am also able to do more things with my income and way of life than I was able to a decade ago. Sure a lot of things happened these last 3 decades, but that's what happens. I think feeling old is silly and just live your life! :P
  • Just for me, these work:

Most people have no idea what the "Program Manager" is.
    My first computer was a Pentium 90 with 24 megabytes of ram. My phone has an 800 MHz processor with 256 MB of RAM.
    When we bought our first computer, we openly wondered why anybody would need a whole gigabyte for their hard drive.
    The term "Shareware" has fallen into complete disuse.
    I haven't had to blow on a video game cart in ages.
  • For me it is mostly when kids don't know what floppy disks are. Other than that I'm fully aware of my age.
  • I hate all of you right now.
  • I'm still not quite 20. Feels good, man.
    Enjoy it while it lasts.
    FFFFUUUUUUUUUU-
  • Actually, despite all my complaining/bragging about how old I am, what makes me truly realize how old I am is that I no longer think 44 is old.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaat. I mean, I never really gave any thought to how old you are, but you come off as older than that.
    Wow, I thought you were older than me. I was wrong.
  • I'm only 21, but everyone seems to think I'm at least 25. Feels bad man.
  • I recently saw one of my exes at a comic book shop. I haven't seen him in over a decade. I told him he looks good, which he did. He says I haven't aged. I think he's sincere.

It was kinda awkward at first because I haven't seen him in over a decade, but I got over it because there really isn't any point to feel that way.
  • I feel old every time I go out to a show while I'm home. The bands I want to see (Ska bands) all play at 1982, which is one of the only all-ages venues in town so high school kids abound.
  • Actually, despite all my complaining/bragging about how old I am, what makes me truly realize how old I am is that I no longer think 44 is old.
    This is pretty much how I'm livin'. Girlfriend's all like "we're thirty now! we're so old!" and I'm like "whatever, still feel/look like I'm seventeen, still baller." If anything, I could stand to get a little older faster, but at least the last time I got carded at a deli the girl looked at my ID and apologized. :D

The only time I ever feel old is when I wikipedia some musician I'm a fan of and go "Oh, she's twenty three... ... WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE." Otherwise, feelin' spry. Ain't worried. I intend to be less worried at forty, and a brain in a jar hooked up to virtual reality at fifty.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm still not quite 20. Feels good, man.
    Enjoy it while it lasts.
    Oh, I will. I'll have lived and traveled through Europe for almost a year by the time I turn 21. I fully intend on making my twenties the source of many tales to tell my grandchildren.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Listening to a 25-year old say they're old makes me feel old. Knowing that it's unlikely anyone here watched Donnie and Marie in prime time or saw Star Wars on its first theatrical run makes me feel old. (Please please please someone one-up me and be older . . . )
    Well, I saw Empire Strikes Back at the theater...

and Wrath of Khan at the DRIVE-IN. :)
  • Wrath of Khan at the DRIVE-IN.
    That's actually pretty cool.
  • At the tender age of 18, pretty much all of this makes me feel really young, and the fact that WUB is 19 makes my life feel very dull.