This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Office Upholds the Dudebro Principle

2»

Comments

• tap water
    What about it?
  • My wife was just up at Mohegan Sun last weekend and came back with a story of restroom opulence. Unlike the wax-papery seat covers that are now showing up in many bathrooms (where you have to pull one from a dispenser, punch out the center, and apply to the seat), the toilets here have a gigantic roll of the stuff hidden behind the wall. It spools out along the seat like a conveyer belt, and when you flush, the reel advances just far enough to dispense a completely clean surface. I imagine the excess goes into some vast pit of "someone's ass just touched this" material.
    These are in a lot of airports too. They're probably unforgivable from an environmental perspective (as the airport ones seem to be plastic, not the wax paper stuff), but they do have a certain appeal.
    I think cleaning up your own excrement from a shared surface before others have to use it is a fair expectation.
    Agreed, so very much.
  • It makes me wonder WHY anyone would design a flush system that way.
    Water pressure differences between plumbing systems. Home toilets use internal gravity systems to provide flushing power, and thus are independent of water pressure. Commercial toilets use the building water pressure, and almost noone matches toilet to pressure or installs a limiter.
  • Water pressure differences between plumbing systems. Home toilets use internal gravity systems to provide flushing power, and thus are independent of water pressure. Commercial toilets use the building water pressure, and almost noone matches toilet to pressure or installs a limiter.
    All those commercial toilets have a screw for adjusting the flush pressure.
  • All those commercial toilets have a screw for adjusting the flush pressure.
    Which no one ever adjusts...
  • Which no one ever adjusts...
    I've adjusted before.
  • edited June 2011
    tap water
    What about it?
    Um... dude, the whole point is that the tap water sprays into the pee in the bowl and propels it outward. The tap water itself is not a problem.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I adjusted one that was set waaaaaay too high. Seriously, it was making mist when it flushed. Aerosolized pee; now that's eww.
  • Um... dude, the whole point is that the tap water sprays into the pee in the bowl and propels it outward. The tap water itself si not a problem.
    With correct pressure, most push water along the edge of the bowl in a circling motion, creating a vortex which should clear the bowl. Others have a more direct downward insertion that still, with the bowl shape, should create a vortex in the water.

Most toilets are designed such that if the pressure is correctly adjusted, there will be no spray. Any time a toilet sprays, I'll bet almost anything it's due to the water pressure being too high.
  • the pee in the bowl
    Stop sitting backwards on your toilets.
  • With correct pressure, most push water along the edge of the bowl in a circling motion, creating a vortex which should clear the bowl. Others have a more direct downward insertion that still, with the bowl shape, should create a vortex in the water.
    Are you aware how a toilet actually flushes? Almost all US toilets are siphon flush toilets.
  • Zack clearly has no fucking clue what we are talking about.
    Most toilets are designed such that if the pressure is correctly adjusted, there will be no spray. Any time a toilet sprays, I'll bet almost anything it's due to the water pressure being too high.
    Yeah, I get that. The vast majority of these types of toilets that I have experienced are not properly adjusted.
  • edited June 2011
    Zack clearly has no fucking clue what we are talking about.
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
  • I typed up a polite note requesting that the ladies at my building actually check the toilet before they leave the stall, because our automatic low-flow toilets don't seem to actually flush anything. Walking into a stall with other people's leavings in them is disgusting.
    I agree that that's gross, but I would have asked an HR department or the equivalent to send out a memo instead.
    The building is shared by multiple businesses. I could have contacted the landlord, but a polite note was effective.
  • edited June 2011

Relevant Mythbusters. Poo is every where folks.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • A couple times, the guys we shared a bathroom with freshman year would puke in the bathroom and then not bother to flush or mop up their vomit. A few weeks after deciding I wouldn't deal with that anymore, I got ragingly drunk at a friend's birthday party, got home, yakked all over the toilet bowl, took a shower, and went to bed. They left us a note in the morning asking us to clean it up. I scrawled "LOL" underneath where they signed it, and then cleaned the outside of the toilet and flushed it.

They got the idea.