This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Once a Geek always a Geek?

edited June 2011 in Everything Else
What's your opinion of people who no longer consider themselves geeks. If you ask these former geeks their usual response tends to be that they have grown out of it. Which implies that the hobby they enjoyed was something only for children. And if your an adult that is still in to that hobby, you are socially stunted. Now there are people in the geek communities that are like this. But aren't these kinds of folks in all social groups? So why is it that geek communities suffer from this stigma even more so?

Comments

• Most of the people I have seen who have given up geekery are people who were forced to repress it by themselves or others. Sometimes they just decided for themselves and abandoned their geekery. Most often I see spouses force the other to stop geeking.

The reason there is a stigma is because many geek hobbies happen to involve things that are commonly perceived to be children's toys outside of geek communities. It would require in depth knowledge to understand why they are not. A normal person can't tell the difference between a fancy model trail and a children's toy. If a grown person is playing with model trains, they see it as childish because they don't understand what's really involved in that hobby. A normal person sees a cartoon, and only understands cartoons as something for children even though it might be Urotsukidoji.
  • Which implies that the hobby they enjoyed was something only for children.
    I don't think this is accurate. People can solve a geekery (I don't find football very enjoyable anymore), they can grow sick of it from overindulgence, then can abandon it due to a bad experience. They can have a transformative experience... I'm about to have a daughter, and I expect to all but give up video games. And not mind too much.

And yes, some geekiness is childish.
  • edited June 2011
    and I expect to all but give up video games
    Hmm. But video games are an activity you can share with your kids, at least when they're old enough to play them. I can think of a lot of geekeries it might seem logical to give up when you have a kid, but video games don't seem like one of them. Although, I am ignoring the fact that you probably won't be having a lot of time to play them anymore once you have a kid, which might be more what you meant.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This also reminds me of the stigma of "growing up" and having to have your career reflect it. Today's SMBC expresses it succinctly.

I think it really also matters in what sort of social circles you are a part of. If you mostly hang out with people that continue to do geeky things, they will follow suit. It reminds me of my previous former circle of friends. Once someone knocked a girl up, they all started getting married and having babies within the last few years. Before we would hang out almost every night watching Friends and playing video games. Now everyone is pretty much all domesticated with children. They all still continue to hang out, while I'm no longer considered part of that circle and not really contacted at all.
  • edited June 2011
    and I expect to all but give up video games
    Hmm. But video games are an activity you can share with your kids, at least when they're old enough to play them. I can think of a lot of geekeries it might seem logical to give up when you have a kid, but video games don't seem like one of them. Although, I am ignoring the fact that you probably won't be having a lot of time to play them anymore once you have a kid, which might be more what you meant.
    Hey, I hear infants are really into FPS. :P
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • dsfdsf
    edited June 2011
    your mom is a geek
    Post edited by dsf on
  • Hard to answer, without an agreed-upon definition of "geek."

Live enough decades, and most people will shift in and out of various hobbies, some of which might be geekeries. And yes the responsibilities of parenthood (or eldercare, or careers, etc) take time and money, which probably means less time and money for other things. And maybe geeky hobbies are particularly vulnerable here because of social stigmas.

But the "growing up" thing as expressed by SMBC above covers pretty broad ground, and I think plenty of people (geeks and otherwise) give up too much joy in the name of "responsibility." But as a person ages it can also be harder to keep up with the hobbies, keep in touch with friends, etc. So I think what I'm trying to say is I think it's a cop-out for a person to say they grew out of something when really they can't face that they're too tired after a long day at work, or that their tastes just changed over time, but also oversimplifying to say people never change.

Plus, when you're in your teens and 20s, I think it can be hard to tell the difference between "growing up" and "tastes changing over time," because there is such a thing as a healthy, good type of "growing up" and a lot of it happens during that decade of one's life.

(Said the middle-aged lady sitting in a coffee shop before work, reading Scott Pilgrim, and typing a waaay too long forum thread response on a tiny phone keyboard.)
  • All I'm saying is that when I meet old people, and I mean really old people 80+, the happy ones that are a joy to be around are the ones who are still active and have geekeries. I got one grandma who is always out and about doing activities and another one who sits around watching TV all day. Guess who is more of a pleasure to be around? Guess who I would rather be?

There are lots of people who literally spend 100% of their time on work or home related responsibilities. They don't have anything else. Those are the saddest people.
  • This is a very good topic, and my thoughts are all over the place on it.

- Some people where never really geeks to begin with. In the early stages of life, where who you live close to and who you sit with in your classes is a major factor in who you can possibly interact with, some people just adapt to suit their crowd. They take an interest in geeky things but as soon as the social aspect is gone, they are done with that geekery.
    - Spousal pressures can be more than just "stop playing with that childish thing" and more of an attention aspect. If you don't find a mate that shares in your geekery, they will grow to resent it due to the time you spend on it. It's almost unavoidable unless your mate is equally passionate about some other thing, and you both maintain a good balance of alone time and together time. If they have no hobby, their needs will clash with almost any geekery. This is why for a lot of adults, they have no hobbies. Their hobbies are working on their lawn and other things that can be construed as productive in life such as car and house maintenance, so the spouse has a harder time becoming resentful of such effort towards the betterment of the family.
    - Overindulgence in a geekery doesn't need to push someone completely away from it. I think this causes more of the rotating "seasons" that have been often spoken about on these forums. You go full throttle for a while, switch gears, repeat.
  • All I'm saying is that when I meet old people, and I mean really old people 80+, the happy ones that are a joy to be around are the ones who are still active and have geekeries. I got one grandma who is always out and about doing activities and another one who sits around watching TV all day. Guess who is more of a pleasure to be around? Guess who I would rather be?

There are lots of people who literally spend 100% of their time on work or home related responsibilities. They don't have anything else. Those are the saddest people.
    Agreed, with one expansion: Some of these happy older people have hobbies we might not think of as geekeries. Maybe they're into gardening, or art, or learning new languages. Or mecha or manga or whatever.

(Again, hobbled by lack of "geek" definition. Maybe somebody's grandma is a gardening geek.)
  • @Matt so true! I'm with you on all that. Especially re spousal pressures.

(How is it that I seem to be the first in this thread to now reference JoCo's Shopvac?)
  • Some of these happy older people have hobbies we might not think of as geekeries. Maybe they're into gardening, or art, or learning new languages
    Those are definitely geekeries, and I've never thought of them as anything but.
  • Spousal pressures can be more than just "stop playing with that childish thing" and more of an attention aspect. If you don't find a mate that shares in your geekery, they will grow to resent it due to the time you spend on it. It's almost unavoidable unless your mate is equally passionate about some other thing, and you both maintain a good balance of alone time and together time. If they have no hobby, their needs will clash with almost any geekery. This is why for a lot of adults, they have no hobbies.
    I see this constantly. I had a co-worker long ago who loved videogames and scifi, but avoided them due to his wife's disapproval. It's all too common.
  • I'm about to have a daughter, and I expect to all but give up video games. And not mind too much.

And yes, some geekiness is childish.
    I'm about to have a daughter as well (3 1/2 weeks away), but I don't plan on wholesale giving up on any aspect of my life. Yeah, I'm prepared to make some drastic changes, and the responsibilities of fatherhood will always come first, but I've seen too many happy geek families to start slicing pieces of myself off just yet. Besides, all of those childish geekeries are awesome now because you can enjoy them through the eyes of a child! The only challenge is in not being the pushy parent who forces their kid into things, but rather the one who cultivates an environment where they will discover these interests on their own.
  • What makes one geekery "childish" over another? How is sport fandom any different from pro wrestling fandom or sport anime fandom?

How is gardening any different from home automation in any fundamental way? How are videogames and different from a bridge circle?
  • I think it also depends on why you're into a hobby. Some people have a whole lot of interest in college football while they're in college, especially when they know people on the teams. Some of those people are life-long college football fans, others see that interest dwindle over time. Do you find an activity intrinsically rewarding, or is it rewarding by proxy? And also, will that reward still be there when the circumstances have changed?

Saying something is more or less "grown up" seems like a petty difference without taking the time to acknowledge the actual differences. I've genuinely lost interest in some hobbies, but I can go into detail as to why without trying to make someone else the lesser.
  • What makes one geekery "childish" over another? How is sport fandom any different from pro wrestling fandom or sport anime fandom?

How is gardening any different from home automation in any fundamental way? How are videogames and different from a bridge circle?
    It's just a broad label used to describe the geekery according to those who most often partake in it. It'd be hard to argue that things like cartoons, Legos, wrestling, etc. aren't primarily enjoyed by minors. There's nothing in that label that says it has deeper appeal to adult audience, yet that is why it is a lazy label that caused a social stigma.
  • yet that is why it is a lazy label that caused a social stigma.
    I don't believe it caused the stigma. I am quite convinced that almost everyone I've ever met who expects someone to give up their hobbies in order to "grow up" or "be responsible" is actually bitter about their own unhappiness which has resulted from the decisions they have made, and resent the fact that other people have made different decisions.

It's all too clear.

• edited June 2011
    yet that is why it is a lazy label that caused a social stigma.
    I don't believe it caused the stigma. I am quite convinced that almost everyone I've ever met who expects someone to give up their hobbies in order to "grow up" or "be responsible" is actually bitter about their own unhappiness which has resulted from the decisions they have made, and resent the fact that other people have made different decisions.

It's all too clear.
    Hmmmm.. I could buy into this theory. So what this boils down to is that even if a child develops an interest in some patently adult hobby, they are always expected to shed their interests as part of "coming of age."
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited June 2011
    Not always, my dad always says that to me, and then he goes on a week long Motorcycle ride (and to those cool biker convention things) and then goes to the shore every weekend fishing and tooling around. Sometimes they just think what you are doing is childish and still have their own fulfilling life.

Or they don't understand the thing you like.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Some of these happy older people have hobbies we might not think of as geekeries. Maybe they're into gardening, or art, or learning new languages
    Those are definitely geekeries, and I've never thought of them as anything but.
    Agreed. But if we're working with this broad definition of "geek," shouldn't the title of the thread be more like "Once a person who engages with life, always a person who engages with life?"

And I think part of Josh's question really played into the question of "geeky" hobbies being stigmatized, where many other hobbies aren't. Oftentimes people are expected to "grow out" of comics, Legos, animation, etc. Not so much for gardening or art. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "Oh yeah, art museums, I was totally into that when I was a teenager but then I grew up."
    I hear ya. I only have one grandparent alive right now, my maternal grandpa. He's always great to be around, but he's still very active despite being 80+. He doesn't go out and do any particular activities, but he writes a weekly column for a Portuguese-speaking immigrant community newspaper. He actually learned how to use a word processor, scanner, computer, and email client in order to file his column electronically to the paper -- which was even trickier for him since he speaks Portuguese, not English, and was using mostly English-language software (though I've installed Portuguese-language equivalents for him whenever possible). Right now he's even looking into publishing a book on the Kindle store and creating a blog to post his columns online. Yeah, my grandpa is pretty cool.
  • edited June 2011
    All I'm saying is that when I meet old people, and I mean really old people 80+, the happy ones that are a joy to be around are the ones who are still active and have geekeries. I got one grandma who is always out and about doing activities and another one who sits around watching TV all day. Guess who is more of a pleasure to be around? Guess who I would rather be?
    See, I think that this kinda brings me to the center of the shrubbery maze. Your definition of Geek basically coincides with everyone's definition of "Person with hobbies".

Not that I'm faulting your definition of Geek, which I think is right, but more with society's definition of "Geek" as a whole, which I think the Geek Pride movement will take a big bite out of.
    Post edited by Neito on
    See, I think that this kinda brings me to the center of the shrubbery maze. Your definition of Geek basically coincides with everyone's definition of "Person with hobbies".

Not that I'm faulting your definition of Geek, which I think is right, but more with society's definition of "Geek" as a whole, which I think the Geek Pride movement will take a big bite out of.
    And, um, Scott . . . don't you kinda host a podcast for which the very scope relies on some narrower definition of the word "geek?" Yes there is a broadness to Indiscriminate Thursdays, but even then there seems to be an assumption (in the meta moment, in the opening rants, in the geek bytes) that your listenership self-identifies as a geek in some particular way.
  • edited June 2011
    I think people do grow out of stuff. For example, I was a lot more into JPOP boy bands and JROCK stars during high school, merely because they were pretty. Once I got older and my hormones settled down I started following them less and branching out my musical tastes for Japanese bands. I think your tastes mature with time and knowledge. I also used to watch any anime I could get my hands on (except super violent ones, like Ninja Scroll, but I ended up having to watch it because I lost a bet.) Now my tastes are broader and I watch a whole lot less anime than I used to. I didn't give it up, but if you check out my reading pile is has more in common with your average mid twenties woman than a crazy maniac Otaku. (I still read good otaku fare like Lucky Star and Genshiken, though.) I don't buy figures, and I very rarely attend conventions that are only anime focused. I didn't grow out of animation, but I grew out of the otaku culture to a large degree. I still like tasteful Otaku-ish things, though, the occasional nod to the subculture.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Gomi said it very well. I'm going to amend my early statement to be more in line with hers: It's not that certain geekeries are childish, but the cultures surrounding them and the ways in which we participate in them can be very childish. And the older you get, ideally, the less you define yourself by those geekeries. I might not give up video games cold turkey when Rylin Hawk is born, but I will be Jason Hawk, Certified Father instead of Jason Hawk, Certified Gamer.
  • Rylin Hawk
    YOU SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE A SECRET!
  • Rylin Hawk
    Yeah, but I've been dying to tell somebody. If you let Lisa know the name is out there, I'll have you butchered and your eyeballs served to weird, possessed Indian cultists.
  • edited June 2011
    I knew soon after the ultra-sound. :smugface:
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That's a pretty badass name.