This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Once a Geek always a Geek?

2»

Comments

• YOU SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE A SECRET!
    I knew soon after the ultra-sound. :smugface:
    That's just because you guys are secretly lovers.
  • That's just because you guys are secretly lovers.
    1:41 p.m.: JHawk0109: "you're pretty proud to be my hetero lifemate, huh?"

1:41 p.m.: Grapenutsrobot18: "sure, you're ballin"
  • And the older you get, ideally, the less you define yourself by those geekeries.
    I'm mulling this over. I think this is another thing which might generalize well beyond what would generally be thought of as geekeries. Maybe as we grow older, we're less likely to define ourselves by any one interest (or even set of interests).

Plus yeah, some aspects of otaku culture can get tiring as you age. And similar can be said of other youth-oriented cultures.
  • Gomi said it very well. I'm going to amend my early statement to be more in line with hers: It's not that certain geekeries are childish, but the cultures surrounding them and the ways in which we participate in them can be very childish.
    Ah I think you and Emily have put it in the perfect context here by taking the discussion to music. Growing up attending late 90's ska shows, I can tell you I still listen to this music to this very day, but I just can't picture myself going to see one of these bands again.
  • And similar can be said of other youth-oriented cultures.
    Yea, I'm not sure how many "a spunky 12 year old Pilots a Mech" I can watch when I'm in my 80's :-p
  • Once someone knocked a girl up
    When I first read this, I thought it said "Once someone knocked a girl out". Seemed like it was going to lead to a story about a fight club or something.
    I need a nap.
  • It all boils down to making choices and engaging in activities that make you happy. Sometimes people stop pursuing certain geekeries/hobbies/leisure activities because they actually enjoy some of the responsibilities they gain as they get older (children, career, partners, more diverse group of friends) or they develop different tastes.

Being a geek or not is much less important than being happy or not.
  • edited June 2011
    Re: fatherhood

I used to game it up all the time before my son arrived (hes 2.5 now) and guess what.. I still do :)

But.. You have to be smart about it. If you used to play mostly console games all the time (like me) then you just need to balance it a bit. Its going to be really hard (early on especially) to get a good block of time to play any console games. Your up and down all the time, tired, exhausted.

This is when I switched over more to portable gaming, specifically, DS + ipod touch. Crash out on the couch and play some DS. Need to get up in a hurry? Snap that puppy shut and get on it. As soon as you are free again, DS is ready to go.
    That's the nature of portable gaming. Not JUST portable, but quick play + easily resumed.

The DS was an absolute god-send for me, it actually became my primary games machine for about 2 years. (and pretty much still is, I just got so used to the convenience)

So if you are smart, you can still play games. And when they get into a good sleeping pattern, you can get back to the console or PC more.

This message brought to you by Nintendo DS. :P
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I think the problem lies when people feel outside pressure to stop enjoying something and give it up due to that.
    Example: Wife says "You are not a kid anymore, stop watching cartoons. It's embarrassing." Then, they have to hide their animation love.

However, if it is something like: "I used to spend a lot of my time and money on costume making, but I've found that I enjoy volunteering and teaching a sewing circle more! Also, I've been spending more time with my boyfriend! It saves money. I still make one fancy cosplay outfit a year, though."
    That's good! That's a maturation, someone changing and branching out in their life.
  • It'd be hard to argue that things like cartoons, Legos, wrestling, etc. aren't primarily enjoyed by minors. There's nothing in that label that says it has deeper appeal to adult audience, yet that is why it is a lazy label that caused a social stigma.
    I'd like to argue with the wrestling point. Despite the fact that WWE is now PG and in theory appealing to kids, it still has a mostly older fan base. The ratings among kids have, if anything, dropped from when wrestling was at its very raunchiest(the late 90s "Attitude era" boom). In St. Louis, people would dress up to go to Wrestling At the Chase during that territory's height. Wrestling is traditionally enjoyed by all ages.
  • edited June 2011
    Gomi said it very well. I'm going to amend my early statement to be more in line with hers: It's not that certain geekeries are childish, but the cultures surrounding them and the ways in which we participate in them can be very childish. And the older you get, ideally, the less you define yourself by those geekeries. I might not give up video games cold turkey when Rylin Hawk is born, but I will be Jason Hawk, Certified Father instead of Jason Hawk, Certified Gamer.
    I've found an interesting book that you and little Rylin might enjoy.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited June 2011
    My father constantly criticizes me for being a geek. If he sees me reading a comic or manga, he tells me I should read real books. Once he tried to throw away some of my anime, which my mother caught him doing. They had a fight all day about it. When I came home that day, my mother told me about it. He hasn't tried again since, fortunately. Then he complains every time I try to watch Doctor Who, which is ironic because when I was a kid, he watched reruns of Star Trek and Stargate constantly. Part of the reason I and my brothers were given TVs when we were younger was because he would hog the TV when he was home. (He works in two week shifts offshore). He's turning into one of those "get off my lawn" oldsters.

If I ever meet a guy who does the same thing to me, I will not pursue a relationship with him. My interests are mine alone, and none of anyones business.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • Your father epitomizes that SMBC comic on this thread.
  • Gomi said it very well. I'm going to amend my early statement to be more in line with hers: It's not that certain geekeries are childish, but the cultures surrounding them and the ways in which we participate in them can be very childish. And the older you get, ideally, the less you define yourself by those geekeries. I might not give up video games cold turkey when Rylin Hawk is born, but I will be Jason Hawk, Certified Father instead of Jason Hawk, Certified Gamer.
    I've found an interesting book that you and little Rylin might enjoy.
    I dunno, a newborn might be a little too young to start with dangerous things. I prefer trying to brainwash the child from a young age to do useful things