This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

House Hunting

Comments

• I have a duct that runs from basement to attic in back of house. Main floor can feed from basement and upstairs from the attic.
  • We just priced out painting supplies at Lowes... $38 a gallon?
    Sounds pricey, and it's not particularly good paint either. Search for a local Benjamin Moore retailer. You'll be supporting local mom-and-pop businesses (Benjamin Moore doesn't work with big box stores) and be getting better paint at a better price. My local Benjamin Moore retailer charges around $25-$30/gallon for paint.
  • The price of paint seriously spiked around 10 years ago for who knows what reason.

I don't know if we have a Benjamin Moore around here. We have lots of Sherwin Williams, who I refuse to use mainly because their logo is repellent.
  • The price of paint seriously spiked around 10 years ago for who knows what reason.

I don't know if we have a Benjamin Moore around here. We have lots of Sherwin Williams, who I refuse to use mainly because their logo is repellent.
    You know, Benjamin Moore's website has a store locator. The locator finds authorized, independent retailers and not just company-owned stores. Maybe you should try it. :)
  • Look, I'm whining here. Can you just respect that?

;-)
  • House has been purchased. Monthly bill going forward, $850!
  • Damn. Not bad.

Mine's more than twice that if you include property taxes and insurance, and my house ain't that big.

Fucking Connecticut...
  • I hear real estate is pretty cheap in Somalia...
    But insurance is pricey, AK ammo is expensive these days.
    Thanks OBAMA...

You're buying it from the wrong place. Get yourself some Pakistani Tribal Zone knock-off AK ammo. Almost as good as the real stuff from Russia and only 1/10th the price! You are fluent in Pashtu, right?
  • Caution - if Sourced from the middle east, it may cause malfunctions by exploding like a fucking bomb. Seeding doped ammo in shipments within the region has been common practice for multiple forces for a while now.
  • I cant help but see the title of this thread as horse hunting when i glance at it quickly. Maybe i should just make a horse hunting thread.
  • First Money Pit moment: when turning water back on one pipe in basement broke a solder joint. Plumber is here and I am $300 poorer.
  • lolz, welcome to my life, I just put two 2500 dollars on paint, a gas heater, a water heater and various other stuff ^_^ FORTUNATELY none of it was labor expense it's good to have a slave labor who is a skilled worker (Dad)
  • Now I can't get the furnace to kick on. It's brand new!!! Too cold, going home.
  • This breaking in period goes on a bit longer. Good luck. :-)
  • I'm starting the house hunt for real. Applied for a mortgage at SEFCU to start. I'll shop around for the best rate later. The realator I'm working with is also is a boardgamer. He's the guy that designed Monolith and did a successful Kickstarter.
  • Furnace was not correctly installed. Now have heat but my furnace guy will be back next week to fix the bad installation.
  • I think I went to Home Depot seven times today. Picked up a $700 dishwasher on clearance for $400!
  • I think I went to Home Depot seven times today. Picked up a $700 dishwasher on clearance for $400!
    Not a bad deal at all... Was it just last year's model, a floor model, or a "scratch and dent" sale?
  • I think it was last year's model. The website said none available but there was one in the back. Also the oven and microwave that were here are some serious top of the line shit. The microwave new is about $1,000! When you cook popcorn you just hit popcorn and the sensors inside the microwave monitor it and it comes out perfect every time!

The dishwasher is super quiet. The furnace is louder than it is!
  • I think it was last year's model. The website said none available but there was one in the back. Also the oven and microwave that were here are some serious top of the line shit. The microwave new is about $1,000! When you cook popcorn you just hit popcorn and the sensors inside the microwave monitor it and it comes out perfect every time!

The dishwasher is super quiet. The furnace is louder than it is!
    Yeah, I love buying last year's model of things like dishwashers, cars, etc., where there is no significant difference year-to-year between them. Always a good way to save some cash whenever possible.
  • I mounted my TV on the wall last night. Even though the TV is 100% level the walls and floor are so out of whack that the TV looks very crooked.
  • Going to look at 3 houses in Saturday.
  • Steve, that's what you get for getting a really old house :-p
  • edited March 2013
    I call it "character" and my house has it in spades!

The bad part is that projects I can tackle require projects I can't do on my own be completed first.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I keep misreading this thread's title as "Horse Hunting" and thinking "Is that a thing people do? Huh. Can't see why they wouldn't" before realizing that there are no horses whatsoever.
  • For example I want to fix my sagging floors. This would normally involve some jacking up the floor from the basement but it is not so simple in my house. The beams are 4x4 and the joists are 2x6. So the joists hang down lower than the beams.

The beams are all great and straight, the joists not so much. Which leads to a curious thing when looking where the wall meets the floor. While the floor dips here and there the trim on the wall is perfectly straight all the way around the room.
  • While the floor dips here and there the trim on the wall is perfectly straight all the way around the room.
    Well, one outta two ain't bad, I guess?