This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Iran

RymRym
edited September 2006 in Politics
What do you guys think of the long-brewing situation in Iran? We've been avoiding so-called "real" news on the show for a number of reasons, but I'm curious as to what you all think. Also, how interested are you in hearing our political commentary? In a pinch, we could do volumes upon volumes in that vein.

Comments

• Hmm... not so sure if I would like that. No offense to you guys, but I listen to geeknights because I want to hear about new tech, video games, etc. Not for "real" news and/or politics. That's not to say you can't ever talk about it if it's a real big news item, but I think keeping the show on the main subject would be better.

Also Rym, is there anything you two couldn't do volumes upon in a pinch?
  • Iran + A-bomb = WWIII.

I'm with Starfox, I hate political shows. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, just don't call it Geeknights. Start a new podcast on politics (because you don't do enough podcasting). :)
  • edited September 2006
    While I would prefer that political issues in general not be mentioned on Geeknights, I believe that a seperate,round table discussion would be a good idea. If you do that please be sure to include Mike Pfeffer. We as geeks may care a great deal about our interests but we also do care about our world. Maybe a once a month roundtable would be a good addition to FrontRowCrew.com You could call it WorldNight, or hell, LeekNight.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • Keep the politics off of GeekNights.

You can talk about the Tech behind the issue, but not the issue itself.
  • Well, I would assume that we'd talk about these sorts of things on Thursdays. ^_~
  • Iran + A-bomb = WWIII.

I'm with Starfox, I hate political shows. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, just don't call it Geeknights. Start a new podcast on politics (because you don't do enough podcasting). :)
    Wiiii!!!111
    /Obligatory?
    //Maybe
    ///Uncalled for?
    ////Probably.
  • I'm game for political talks on Thursdays, every now and again. I really enjoyed your early episode where Peter Olsen was a guest. I think it would be nice to have a lawyer friend on and discuss some of the ins and outs of current and pertinent topics with a professional. Though, the unfortunate complex nature of law makes it difficult for lawyers to discuss anything technial outside of their specility. I guess topics would revolve around who you know. Do you know any poly-sci majors or professionals?
  • Interestingly, we have close friends in a wide variety of expert positions. Beyond them, we have access to experts in just about any field we'd care to talk about. Not big names or particularly famous ones, mind you, but people who know enough to provide insight.

Is there anything in particular you're interested in here?
  • 1- I would indeed like to hear the history of why the middle east hates us so much. I know some basic things but I don't know any details.

2- How about a show about Scientology and it influence in our country. I know there was a massive thread on it already but hey....could be fun. (honestly I can't remember if you did this already).

3- The political firestorm that is stem cell research.
  • edited September 2006
    Well politics are on my mind. Yesterday, in observance of Constitution Day I attended the Federally mandated discussion panel on the Constitution (required for institutions of higher learning who receive federal funding). The panelists (historians and political scientists) discussed the constitutional based for the Executive branch to declare war. It was a fascinating talk to say the least. So, I guess on the subject of politics, if you have any friends who teach or lobby it'd be great for them to come on and throw around some practice or theory. Hell, even a Thursday on the current role lobbying plays in the US would be a great topic. I know you guys have hit on it before when discussing the tech industry vs. the music industry and their lobbying practices.

As for other professionals, any scientists or engineers are good in my book. In light of Emily's recent appearance (and popularity ;-) ) I think it would be great for her to do a show on film making. I can't remember if you guys already suggested this. . . . But anyway, I find the technical process of the creation of my material geekeries as interesting as the final product itself.

Edit: Not to look overtly nerdy but do you guys know any nuclear engineers, you could do an episode on the power gird and power distribution systems. For that matter a phone system episode would be a good idea--how the Internet has changed the telecommunications from centralized and "smart" systems to decentralized and "dumb" systems, for the better I might add.
    Post edited by HeavyCruiserLost on
  • edited September 2006
    Politics Yes! (I'm a Political Junkie). Only problem is usually there isn't much to argue about. I mean, there is the pragmatic approach and the wrong one!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006
    Rym/Scott,

I'm pretty happy for you to talk about that.

I think you'll have to keep personal opinions to a minimum - I've come to this website to learn about stuff, not whether one thing is better than the other.

Also if you talk politics, please talk internationally. I'm from Australia, and domestic American politics don't interest me. I want to hear about other countries and what's happening there.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I might like to hear about politics, but like Cremlian, I'm a political junkie.
  • edited September 2006
    I might like to hear about politics, but like Cremlian, I'm a political junkie.
    So am I. Politics is not the devil, its not going to ruin in the show. In fact it might add an interesting aspect to it.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Politics is one of the few areas I actually know/care enough about to debate rationally, rather than just throwing in stupid comments. Bring it on!
  • I would also like to hear some politics, and also support the move for international content. I try and keep up with politics in Australia (home), America (you guys have so much effect on the world you can't really avoid it), the mid-east and also Thailand, which is currently undergoing a coup.
  • If you were going to talk about "why the Middle East hates the west" as opposed to "why the Middle East hates GWB" I would give it a listen. Just be careful how you frame the discussion, you lose a lot of credibility fast if you use a loaded question as the basis for your arguments.

Also, if you do cover the above issue you can not leave out the way Lawrence of Arabia was treated after the war. He was given the authority to promise many things to the Arabs to garner their support... Promises that were then ignored once the war came to an end. I'm sure a good portion of the "mistrust of the west" has some roots there.
  • If you talk politics, please thoroughly research opposing viewpoints and try to keep an open mind before talking about issues on the air. Most, as I've learned in the news business, are much more in-depth and convoluted than the average American has taken the time to learn. Also, try not to characterize all liberals by Ted Kennedy or all conservatives by commander kookoo bananas. There really are very intelligent people on both sides of the fence with many valid points. Republican does not equal criminal. Democrat does not equal hippy.
  • Republican does not equal criminal. Democrat does not equal hippy.
    I consider both to mean either criminal or incompetent, and I generally despise both of the US's major political parties.

That said, all we have to go on are their respective track records. The last several republican presidencies have ranged from mediocre to disastrous. The democrats, while I dislike them just as much, at least tend to make more reasonable policy.
  • I think that Iran's insanity and the overreaction to the Pope's quoting a 14th century Emporer would make an intersting topic.
  • I think the major problem with most of the religously convervative/radical/loony Arab states is that their reaction to just about anything is random acts of violence against anyone.

Cartoons of Mohhammud? Burn, kill, maim.

Pope says you cause violence? Burn, kill, maim.

Fart upwind of your neighbor? Burn, kill, maim.

I have to doubt that any radical Muslim in any country anywhere in the world has a got-damn clue about how the rest of the world views their reactions. We (refering to everyone who is not a radical Muslim) are faced with cultures that get a sick orgasmic delight in blood and violence in the name of a god. What's worse is the leaders of our country (refering to the US) are so moronically incapable of dealing with this other violent culture that they are rapidly directing us to war. Even WORSE is that it is likely intentional as it is spelled out in "The Project for a New American Century", the document that laid out the objectives written by a neo-con think-tank that spells out a 1984-esque future if you read between the lines.

Iran's unfathomably stupid remarks and Muslim extremist websites declaring war on teh rest of the world untill "it is under Muslim rule" are merely playing into the hands of those who would drive us to war for their benefits.
  • edited September 2006
    What's worse is the leaders of our country (refering to the US) are so moronically incapable of dealing with this other violent culture that they are rapidly directing us to war.
    How do you deal with people who are irrational? No matter who was in power in the U.S. they would be upset. No matter how you fight them, how you argue against them, how you try to act diplomatically, at the end of the day they're still crazy and violent, and we're just exhausted.

So what do you do? Ignore them? Engage in war with them? Negotiate with them? Bow to their demands?

Just about every option I can envision has been tested in the Middle East, and that region is still barbaric, backward, undereducated, and dangerous.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • You inundate them with the luxuries of civilized society as much as possible. You help the rest of the Arab world (like Dubai et al) attain greatness. You let them see what they could have if only they'd turn on the religious nuts who lead them into ruin and poverty. Eventually, enough people will want those things that they will rise up against the extremist minority on their own.

Invading gives everyone there a reason to hate us. Leaving them alone while quietly allowing our economic prosperity to uplift them gives them a reason to hate their own leaders instead. The hate against the US is just a distraction, and we're playing right into it.

Now, if instead of invading Iraq and basically destroying one of the few stable and anti-extremist powers in the region, suppose we'd stayed with a massive presence in Afghanistan. Suppose we'd spent all the money we dumped into occupying Iraq into rebuilding Afghanistan and making it a better place to live. The poor and destitute in neighboring countries would have seen that the US actually has good intentions, and that they could benefit from our aid.

The extremists in Iran would have had little argument to make if we'd transformed Afghanistan into a prosperous, or even simply safe land, not even with their own people.
  • edited September 2006
    We didn't have much choice with Iraq.

If you keep saying, "cross this line and you'll be in trouble," and they keep crossing the line, how many times can you do this before being seen as irrelevant and a fool?

PS: I'm talking about the UN resolutions.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • We did our best to inundate them with Culture and Luxuries. Read Persepolis: Iranians had most of the modern American luxuries in the eighties. Then extremists overthrew the corrupt but sensible government and initiated religious law. Everything has been tried. As barbaric as it is, sometimes you just have to shoot the irrational mofo. Some people are beyond redemption.
  • edited September 2006
    I consider both to mean either criminal or incompetent, and I generally despise both of the US's major political parties.
    That's why I wouldn't care to hear you guys talk about politics. Frankly, I can't imagine you guys being neutral. You're way too stuck in your viewpoint. No offense, but it just doesn't make for great discussion. There are plenty of other places to hear a one-sided lecture.

The major parties have their faults, no doubt. Your language is too heavy handed, though, for my tastes. There are plenty of other places to go for that type of discussion. Why copy them?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited September 2006
    Yes. For youngsters, they are quite stuck in their views.

Rym clearly has the ability to view an issue from many angles but Scott... The man does not listen to reason, even when Scott is providing the reason!

You two have not lived (or travelled) enough to talk politics in a way that will make you sound like anything other than kids. That is not meant as an insult, just an observation.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • You inundate them with the luxuries of civilized society as much as possible.
    Do you think Israel is uncivilized? There's a shit-ton of trouble there. Pound for pound, Saudi Arabi is the richest country in the world because the oil fields are owned as a co-op -- every citizen there gets a kickback in the form of a paycheck. Germany was among the more civilized nations of Europe before it decided to try to establish a global empire and commit genocide. And you can't say that China doesn't have the trappings of modern society and then scream about the imbalance of U.S. foreign trade without looking foolish.

But there are still car bombings every day in Israel; Saudi Arabia's civil policies toward women, minorities, and any non-Muslim religion are intolerant; The Berlin Wall just fell in 1991(?) after East Germany stayed under communist rule for 50 years; and China may have some basic free trade emerging, but there's no sign the oppression, censorship, and human rights violations will stop any time soon.

So I'm not convinced that shoving money and western culture on them is going to reform troubled hot-spots. In fact, that exact line of thought seems to be why they hate us so badly.
  • You two have not lived (or travelled) enough to talk politics in a way that will make you sound like anything other then kids. That is not meant as an insult, just an observation.
    I was beating around the bush... but this is 100% accurate. It's no offense, but it's true.