This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How You Found Your Cutie Mark (What You want to do and stuff)

Comments

• If you work for That Guy With the Glasses, then yes.
    Technically not but I rather not start an argument about my online peeps.
    But...*sniff* I like TGWTG. Wah! *runs away and slams door*
    Technically not but I rather not start an argument about my online peeps.
    You're THAT Coldguy? Why didn't I put two and two together!
  • We have a link to TGWTG? Bitchin'. Is Linkara cool?
  • edited July 2011
    If you work for That Guy With the Glasses, then yes.
    I don't. Can I still be a critic?
    You missed every post he made on these forums saying he was doing stuff for that website maybe? He's said it at least twice.
    Post edited by Not nine on
    I don't. Can I still be a critic?

You missed every post he made on these forums saying he was doing stuff for that website maybe? He's said it at least twice.Dude, like I remember EVERY post everyone's made. Besides, I mostly go for the Inked Reality part and NC and that chick. Well, and Spoony.
  • There's a lot of good stuff on that website. The people you listed, yes, but I've found a few funny random people hiding in the corner.
  • There's a lot of good stuff on that website. The people you listed, yes, but I've found a few funny random people hiding in the corner.
    CR! He's in my tops.
  • Dude, like I remember EVERY post everyone's made.
    Neither do I. I do remember the cool or interesting stuff though. And I don't even care for anything on that site.
    Yes you do and I have 2 lines back in the first anniversary video :D. To answer your question yes Linkara is very cool and very nice, in his intro he displays a Sega Genesis I gave him at that particular event.

If you want me to talk about my pals I could do that, but there are a LOT of them to talk about. ;)
    Yes you do and I have 2 lines back in the first anniversary video :D. To answer your question yes Linkara is very cool and very nice, in his intro he displays a Sega Genesis I gave him at that particular event.

If you want me to talk about my pals I could do that, but there are a LOT of them to talk about. ;)
    I'm gonna check out some of your stuff on TA. I never listened to it before. Everyone seems real cool. I wish I got to meet everyone at MAGfest. Sigh...
  • Took you guys long enough to figure out Coldguy is, well, Coldguy. :P ...But now that everyone's bringing it up, I have always wanted to ask about what making that first anniversary video was like, as well as why you haven't shown up in any of the others...
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks Viga however if you want my recent stuff check out Spine Breakers, its a podcast about books! (Seriously the book club is on the site right now)
    Took you guys long enough to figure out Coldguy is, well, Coldguy. :P ...But now that everyone's bringing it up, I have always wanted to ask about what making that first anniversary video was like, as well as why you haven't shown up in any of the others...
    Well even though I REALLY would like to be there, I understand why I was not. Channel Awesome (the company behind TGWTG and Blistered Thumbs) pays for people to go out to do crossovers and film a larger project. I do an audio podcast about books on a site that mainly features people doing videos. I joke when I mention that no one listens to my show on the site, and I do have enough numbers to warrant a trip to work. I be happy to do crossovers, but in college I did not study video editing and focused on getting an IT job because I like to pay bills on time. Go figure.

As for the first year anniversary I had a blast, I tend to be the guy who likes to film the behinds the scenes stuff, I was out there as a "TA BOYZ" member and due to me not investing in a camera I did not get involved much, but I had a blast watching the controlled chaos that it took to film it (20 minute shoot took roughly 10 hours on the dot to complete) I would not trade that for anything. I wish I could be apart in more of these web tomfooleries but alas I chose a path in a career that is not dependent on blip ad revenue. Seriously Linkara makes about $80,000/year off of it and others do really well to either match or make more doing this then their full time job. If I wanted to go that route I would need a crew to help since I can write scripts better then film....and act...and edit.

As for MAGfest I hope we can do it again, however I have yet received word from them if they would invite us or anyone else. I can only hope because it was an awesome time.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • @Colbyblogger I am very aware that they re-opened their hand drawn animation studio, but as I said, I do not have the patience for animation.
  • @Colbyblogger I am very aware that they re-opened their hand drawn animation studio, but as I said, I do not have the patience for animation.
    They also did Princess & The Frog.
    They also did Princess & The Frog.
    I am very aware of that as I saw it 5 times in theatres. I am just not cut out to be an animator and am much happier dreaming about being an Imagineer.
  • GODDAMMIT RYAN JUST SAY YOU'LL BE AN ANIMATOR.
  • GODDAMMIT RYAN JUST SAY YOU'LL BE AN ANIMATOR.
    But it's sooooooo frustratiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggggg.
  • After a year of making and webcomic and working on something for print and debuting at SPX, my cutie mark is making comics. I found it and never been happier.

Yeah, I had a drunken late night thought-fest in front of the computer. YAY!
  • edited July 2012
    I originally wanted to be a concept artist but then I realized that I would not like being forced to draw stuff that I didn't want to draw so I thought of what else I was into and that happened to be computers (and I had this idea that computer science would correlate heavily to game development). At my last job I was part UI designer part developer which was a pretty good gig.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Being an artist for your job means drawing 90% stuff you would not think to draw on your own. Not that that is bad, but for every awesome steampunk girl there are many chairs and rocky crags to be designed.
  • I want to disagree with you because I find well designed chairs really interesting, but you're the professional, so I cede the point.
  • My parents took me to the Museum of Natural History when I was - I believe - 4 years old. I have two images forever burned into my mind from the perspective of a 4-year-old: the blue whale model, and the T-Rex mount.

And that's the first time I remember thinking, "I want to know more about this."

Fuck yeah science!
  • I haven't really discovered what I want to do with my life yet. A 22 year blank flank.
  • edited July 2012
    Being an artist for your job means drawing 90% stuff you would not think to draw on your own. Not that that is bad, but for every awesome steampunk girl there are many chairs and rocky crags to be designed.
    That's the thing. I would only have been interested in drawing characters. Art is more of a hobby for me, albeit a very passionate hobby.

If I didn't do computers I would have either been a doctor or a chemist most likely. I really like science and engineering as a profession.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I'm 31 and I still don't really know. I've been doing academic science for almost a decade. It's a better fit than the MD I almost committed myself to, but I've realized I don't have the deep passion for the details of biology that the great scientists do. It's a struggle to read papers at night and on weekends when I'd rather read business and tech stuff.

Easily the most fun I've had in the last few years has been writing scripts to solve data processing problems and improve on various analysis techniques. I don't feel like anything else I've done has added much value compared to what another cog in the machine could accomplish. However, none of that work seems to get rewarded. The 60 year olds who review my papers (and are my bosses) don't understand programming and often don't understand statistics more complicated than a t-test. At best that stuff gets ignored, at worst I get punished for doing something they're not completely familiar with.
  • edited July 2012
    Being an artist for your job means drawing 90% stuff you would not think to draw on your own. Not that that is bad, but for every awesome steampunk girl there are many chairs and rocky crags to be designed.
    This is probably my favourite part about finally starting to draw shit professionally. I am absolutely terrible at drawing for drawing's sake; I can't seem to enjoy drawing anything without some larger project in mind, which makes it very hard to move outside my comfort zone. This sucks because I really enjoy art when it challenges and frustrates me and makes me erase and start over and scream at the tablet a little bit, but I'm terrible at making myself do that sort of stuff. Finally getting commissions that make me do that every day is such a godsend.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • To clarify, I don't dislike drawing furniture and props, but it is not something I would think to do for fun. It isn't like I wake up in the morning and go, "I really want to draw a lamp today!" but I enjoy it while I am doing it.
  • edited July 2012
    To clarify, I don't dislike drawing furniture and props, but it is not something I would think to do for fun. It isn't like I wake up in the morning and go, "I really want to draw a lamp today!" but I enjoy it while I am doing it.
    I just imagined an artist-y looking person suddenly sitting bolt-upright in bed an exclaiming "HOLY SHIT LAMPS!"

Post edited by Churba on
  • And then his beret falls off and the sheep wearing sunglasses lying in bed next to him wakes up.
  • And then his beret falls off and the sheep wearing sunglasses lying in bed next to him wakes up.
    That's just ludicrous. Clearly the sheep would be wearing the Beret, and probably some Prince-nez.