This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How You Found Your Cutie Mark (What You want to do and stuff)

124»

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited July 2012
    I guess I always wanted to be a filmmaker on the inside my entire life, but never realized it until I was 16 or 17 (I don't remember). As a kid I was movie obsessed and I watched them all the time, but the thought of me making them never seemed like a possibility to me. I always thought you had to be born into the business or born in Hollywood to make movies, or something dopey like that.

My entire life changed one day when I was watching some movie and I saw yet another reference to the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. The references to this movie were everywhere and I always wondered what the deal with the movie was. I decided one day to ask my mom to rent 2001: A Space Odyssey for me (she works at a library and always brought me movies home when I asked for them); which she did. When I first watched it, I was transfixed by it and something inside my brain clicked. I'd never seen any kind of movie like it before and the idea that somebody could make a movie that wasn't standard fare was a foreign concept to me. Everything about it awed me and it was equivalent to me having a religious experience.

By the end of the movie, as I stared at the blank screen after the credits, I pointed at it and I said "That's what I want to do with my life". From then on, I was on a lifelong mission. I got & read as many books about filmmaking as I could as well as discovered many more movies I never would have watched had I not seen 2001. I was always particularly fond of movies by directors such as Stanley Kubrick, Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, Joel & Ethan Coen, Darren Aronofsky, Peter Bogdanovich, Akira Kurosawa, Yasujiro Ozu, Isao Takahata, Milos Forman, Satyajit Ray, Francis Ford Coppola, and more. I also started to pay attention to the names of directors to find things I might like and listened to director's commentaries for insight and wisdom directly from the directors I liked.

Other than the rather huge decision to not go to film school after years of shooting for that, my goals have not changed one bit.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited July 2012
    Talking about pooling ourmad skillz for a movie.
    He's a Hasidic jewish librarian whose wife was murdered by the mob. She's a blind Buddhist monk with anger issues, a pet cyborg tiger-samurai, and a job as a profesional wrestler. They fight moon vampires that eat dreams, on the moon.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • There was an Apple //e in the Kindergarten classroom.
  • Talking about pooling ourmad skillz for a movie.
    He's a Hasidic jewish librarian whose wife was murdered by the mob. She's a blind Buddhist monk with anger issues, a pet cyborg tiger-samurai, and a job as a profesional wrestler. They fight moon vampires that eat dreams, on the moon.
    And PROM IS TOMORROW~!