This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

American National Debt Crisis

Comments

• Obvious koala is obvious.
    If it was that obvious why isn't the people and/or government out there asking for the Banks to bail them out?

Being facetious here, but you would think that bailouts work both ways...
  • If Beohner cannot even get the House to pass his plan today, he's more than likely done as speaker of the House.
  • If it was that obvious why isn't the people and/or government out there asking for the Banks to bail them out?

Being facetious here, but you would think that bailouts work both ways...
    They do. The bailout was a loan that was paid back to the Federal gov't. The banks would loan us more money, but we're refusing to borrow more.
  • http://boingboing.net/2011/07/29/apple-has-more-cash-than-the-us-govt.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm;_medium=feed&utm;_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29

The second comment nails it.
    Clearly we need more tax cuts for corporations so that they'll have more money to hire people with.
  • edited July 2011
    So Boehner finally gets his bill passed in the house, it dies in the Senate.
    Now McConnell tells Reid that GOP is filibustering Reid's bill, he will not negotiate with Reid and will only negotiate with the President.
    Apparently Reid was shocked that he did this. Why? Why is he surprised? Why didn't he require a two-way 'let's not filibuster' deal?

My guess is that McConnell thinks the President will give in more than the Democrats in the Senate. I think he's right to believe that.
    Post edited by 2bfree on
  • My guess is that McConnell thinks the President will give in more than the Democrats in the Senate. I think he's right to believe that.
    What more is there to give in?
  • My guess is that McConnell thinks the President will give in more than the Democrats in the Senate. I think he's right to believe that.
    Balanced budget amendment >.
  • edited July 2011
    My guess is that McConnell thinks the President will give in more than the Democrats in the Senate. I think he's right to believe that.
    Bigger cuts, cuts in Medicare (they really want to neutralize their earlier vote this year to end Medicare and replace with vouchers), only a short term raise in debt ceiling, lock in the Bush tax cuts for the rich,... There's still so much they can get if they stick to their guns and Obama continues his kumbaya approach to negotiations.
    Post edited by 2bfree on
  • edited July 2011
    The Senate will act like they will not budge and go through all of the motions but when it is all said and done the will compromise more and the end result will be closer to what the GOP wants.

I am not saying that is what I want but as far as the way things have gone in the past the Democrats compromise more and the Republicans stand their ground more. It would please me greatly for me to be wrong here but that is just what I predict.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Except if there actually is a default, the polls are reporting that most Americans will blame the Republicans for taking such an uncompromising stance of "eliminate medicare, the department of ed, benefits for veterans, the EPA, and all government oversight of everything, and keep those taxes for the wealthiest people as low as possible."
    If the Dems hold their position of the original compromise, and keep pointing out how foolishly obstinate the Repubs are being, I think they can get what they want.
    If not, eat the default, place blame squarely on the Tea Baggers where it belongs, and then Mad Max.
  • then Mad Max.
    Thunderdome!
  • then Mad Max.
    Thunderdome!
    Should we invest in pleather now before it's all taken up?
  • Oh ho! That whole "WAH! OBAMA ISN'T FIXING THINGS INSTANTANEOUSLY! LETS GET THE OTHER GUYS BACK!" thing is really biting you in the arse, ain' it?
  • I think they should run Congress Mad Max style.

"Two party enter! One party leaves!"
  • I have heard that us dollar will devalue a lot, which is similar to what happened to my country, Peru, back when in the 80s when it defaulted on its debt. Back then most people changed their current currency to dollars and they where able to live a decent live but many didn't do that. I was wondering if I should change my savings into another stronger currency such as the euro or the swiss franc. It might be crazy enough to work :O
  • I had a bunch of savings bonds that matured. I just cashed them all in. If the government shuts down, who knows when I would be able to? If shit hits the fan, I expect interest rates to go up, and I plan to buy some bonds. I'm selling high, and if the chance comes, I'll buy low. I've go an account at http://www.treasurydirect.gov/, I might as well use it.
  • Oh snap, US dollar on a historic low against the Singaporean dollar, i should start purchasing those anime DVDs i always wanted.

Bad for me in the long run, since i do actually want to work over in the US, on a permanent basis if possible. Lets hope whatever is decided does not damn the american dream, which i have, too much.
  • edited July 2011
    Oh snap, US dollar on a historic low against the Singaporean dollar, i should start purchasing those anime DVDs i always wanted.

Bad for me in the long run, since i do actually want to work over in the US, on a permanent basis if possible. Lets hope whatever is decided does not damn the american dream, which i have, too much.
    Pretty good for me - the more the US government fucks about, the more spending money I get in the US. As it is, I'm getting just over an extra thousand to play with.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I think they should run Congress Mad Max style.

"Two party enter! One party leaves!"
    I think the party that supports strong gun control is more likely to lose that fight.
  • edited July 2011
    No guns. Just tire irons and chairs.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • No guns. Just tire irons and chairs.
    Republicans got Arnold, so if they had a smart tiny person, they got Master Blaster.
  • Hey, hey, US. US, hey! Hey, US. Are you bankrupt yet?
    NOPE.jpg
    NOPE.jpg
    ;_;

Would you please hurry up? I can't stand this exciting wait for nothing.
  • I have heard that us dollar will devalue a lot, which is similar to what happened to my country, Peru, back when in the 80s when it defaulted on its debt. Back then most people changed their current currency to dollars and they where able to live a decent live but many didn't do that. I was wondering if I should change my savings into another stronger currency such as the euro or the swiss franc. It might be crazy enough to work :O
    Nah, you don't want the euro. That continent is more fucked than America! Look at Greece, that country is just hemorrhaging money.
  • I get paid in dollars and live in Euroland. It's not a great combination.
  • Nah, you don't want the euro. That continent is more fucked than America! Look at Greece, that country is just hemorrhaging money.
    What are you smoking? Greece is a piece of shit yes, doesn't impact the Euro at all though. The most important part (i.e. Western Europe) is in amazing shape compared to the US and Greece.
  • edited July 2011
    Really? The PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Spain) countries would disagree. *whisper* "I think most of those countries are in Western Europe"

Now you can almost add France to the mix, what do you get?

F'ed PIIGS.

How long do you think Germany can play banker to the EU?

I think a lot more people should be smoking what I'm smoking!

@Andrew: Come on! So just keep paying interest but not the principle debt is a good idea? And for the record the reason you have low interest rates is because Alan Greenspan kept them low. Once you loss your AAA rating, watch your interest rate skyrocket!

If the US is not careful it could end up like Japan, with two decades and counting of stagnation.
    Post edited by Codger on
  • The pound keeps climbing. I'm migrating a ton of liquid assets into Forex soon. Also, I'm considering moving to the UK.