This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• I had a double barreled shotgun. That hurt like a mofo to shot cause the gun was so light.
    Yeah I've got a single shot 12ga and the recoil is a bitch. I just shove some gloves under my coat for a makeshift recoil pad. I'm thinking of getting a cheap bubba'd sawed off as a project, if my dad's friend still has it, but I'm just afraid of how light it will be.
  • I had a double barreled shotgun. That hurt like a mofo to shot cause the gun was so light.
    Yeah I've got a single shot 12ga and the recoil is a bitch. I just shove some gloves under my coat for a makeshift recoil pad. I'm thinking of getting a cheap bubba'd sawed off as a project, if my dad's friend still has it, but I'm just afraid of how light it will be.
    I don't want to be all manly but I never really noticed the kick when ever I was shooting. There was a definite kick but nothing to write home about.
    One of the main guns I shot was a double barreled shot gun. Do you prefer over under or side by side?
    Mine was a side by side, with a different choke on each barrel. I like that design, it feels a little more classic to me.
  • I enjoy the "classical" feel from the engraving. I prefer the over under as no mater what I always felt my aim was slightly off with the side by side.
  • Well with an over and under you're gonna have a parallax problem with the lower barrel.
  • I guess it boils down to personal preference and what you are more comfortable with.
  • It boils down it "it's a shotgun, it gonna hit it no matter how the barrels are configured." :P
  • Well with an over and under you're gonna have a parallax problem with the lower barrel.
    That's kinda why I don't entirely understand the idea of "Upside down" revolvers, with the barrel on the bottom rather than the top. Other than point-shooting, how do you aim the damned thing, if the sights are on the top? Some black magics at work, there.
  • It boils down it "it's a shotgun, it gonna hit it no matter how the barrels are configured." :P
    Hush these are weapons of finesse and poise.....ok you have a point.
    That's kinda why I don't entirely understand the idea of "Upside down" revolvers, with the barrel on the bottom rather than the top. Other than point-shooting, how do you aim the damned thing, if the sights are on the top? Some black magics at work, there.
    But I want a Trigun revolver :(

• I think instead of buying a daily-carry firearm, I might just pick up a Mossberg 500.
  • I think instead of buying a daily-carry firearm, I might just pick up a Mossberg 500.
    The mossberg 500 is a more versatile gun. My roommate has a Remington 870, but I'd have the cheaper and no less reliable Mossberg if it were me.
  • If you don't care about not having a wood stock, you could pick up a Maverick Model 88. They're basically the same thing as the 500 but cheaper and they're made by Mossberg anyway.
    Such a weapon feels like a perfect candidate for some kind of periscope reflex sight.
  • edited December 2012
    Just Googled my dad and found an article in a 1977 issue of American Handgunner that drops his name in argument about changing the rules in police revolver competitions.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I really wanna go to the range again, my revolver is just so much fun to shoot. But I have no time to get there until after MAGfest. :'(
    Well it's just like the raised sights on an AR-15. You can hit things fine, it's just a bitch to sight in and you can only sight it in for one range. Sighting my AR when I had a scope on top of the carry handle was a pain because it was about 3" (7.5cm) over the barrel height. I could zero it at 50m and then have to do it all over when I got to a 100m range.
  • edited December 2012
    "H.R.6680: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes"
    Wow, way to be vague assholes. This could either be a resonable law that could try to save lives, or just another dumb one that doesn't do anything real but inconvenience people and label certain guns as evil.

Source
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • "H.R.6680: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes"
    Wow, way to be vague assholes. This could either be a resonable law that could try to save lives, or just another dumb one that doesn't do anything real but inconvenience people and label certain guns as evil.

Source
    Hopefully that's just the mission statement and the actual bill is more clear when it is put to a vote.
  • Yeah, when bills get proposed all you know is whether or not to keep tabs on them. It won't be until it gets past committee (if it gets past committee) that you get the full text.

/govtrack.com addict
  • Man this paranoia/gun control worry sure has driven prices up. My dad's gunsmith friend has been selling stripped AR lowers for over $400 on gunbroker. Its not even price gouging since they're just auctions. Shit's crazy, man.
  • Man this paranoia/gun control worry sure has driven prices up. My dad's gunsmith friend has been selling stripped AR lowers for over $400 on gunbroker. Its not even price gouging since they're just auctions. Shit's crazy, man.
    I saw a picture on /r/guns just the other day of the line outside a gun show - no joke, shit was around the building, well into the parking lot. People are getting super grabby about guns, and it's just stupid. The government is not going to come and take your guns away, and even if they do, it would be just as easy for them to take ten guns as it would be to take one.

Unless you're looking to cripple the evil gubmint obummer comin' to tek ur gurns with a deadly combination of shipping fees and a hernia, buying more guns isn't going to help shit. Oh, you think the government that you somehow think can manage to hide all these conspiracies and secret sites is suddenly so stupid that they're not going to be able to find the cache you've buried in your yard, that you told everybody on the internet about? Twats.
  • Pretty much. I mean its one thing if you were picking up something you'd had your eye on just to be safe but you're not gonna see me doing that at those prices. And you might be able to get away with burying them but posting on the internet about it probably isn't the best idea. It reminds me of that doomsday preppers show. They have all of these "Secret" food stores and bunkers and they emphasize how important it is for their neighbors not to know except for the fact that THEY'RE ON FUCKING TV USING THEIR REAL NAMES. Besides that, if all you have is lowers then good luck finding the rest of the parts if there really is such a restrictive ban.
  • Now I'll just wait for the market to peak and sell my AR for mad moneys.

In more personal gun news, I got a nice Hogue rubber grip for my revolver. Now my hand has a much nicer purchase on the gun. Can't wait to go shooting again.
    Man this paranoia/gun control worry sure has driven prices up. My dad's gunsmith friend has been selling stripped AR lowers for over $400 on gunbroker. Its not even price gouging since they're just auctions. Shit's crazy, man.
    I saw a picture on /r/guns just the other day of the line outside a gun show - no joke, shit was around the building, well into the parking lot. People are getting super grabby about guns, and it's just stupid. The government is not going to come and take your guns away, and even if they do, it would be just as easy for them to take ten guns as it would be to take one.

Unless you're looking to cripple the evil gubmint obummer comin' to tek ur gurns with a deadly combination of shipping fees and a hernia, buying more guns isn't going to help shit. Oh, you think the government that you somehow think can manage to hide all these conspiracies and secret sites is suddenly so stupid that they're not going to be able to find the cache you've buried in your yard, that you told everybody on the internet about? Twats.
    Traditionally firearms owned before a gun regulation is passed get grandfathered in under it, like large capacity mags manufactured before 1994 in NY. If Someone were worried that AR15s will be made illegal to sell or purchase, which isn't an unreasonable worry, then they would want to buy one now while you still can.

It is possible to want to purchase a firearm in a time of uncertainty without being some sort of nutcase, and $400 isn't really a huge amount of money as firearms go. I sell $1500 ARs all the time.
  • See, nobody thought to actually say anything like that on /r/guns, I was just downvoted out of visibility. It does make a lot more sense, though.

I should add, they're not ALL nutcases lining up, most certainly - but I'd say a greater turnout than usual are people who don't understand the situation.
    I sell $1500 ARs all the time.
    Can't say I'm suprised. They're the fuckin' barbie doll of firearms, it's no surprise that at plenty of people are going to be opting for the one that comes with a Beach house, so to speak. Not my style, but I understand the people who do, to a point.

• It is possible to want to purchase a firearm in a time of uncertainty without being some sort of nutcase, and $400 isn't really a huge amount of money as firearms go. I sell $1500 ARs all the time.
    Well yeah but just for a stripped lower is crazy. I mean if I had the money and it was before prices has risen I'd probably have picked up that Saiga I had my eye on but buying like 10 stripped lowers at $400 a pop seems pretty extreme to me. I mean Christ, the cost of just one of them would get you more than half way to a decent AR build 6 months ago.
    Now I'll just wait for the market to peak and sell my AR for mad moneys.
    You could probably make a bunch of money and just build another in a year or so and still have quite a bit left if you really wanted.
  • I'm not a Constitutional historian so I don't know how accurate this theory is, but it makes for an interesting read:

The Second Amendment was Ratified to Preserve Slavery