This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• Allow me to point out for a moment that it's stupid easy to get a pump-action shotgun in the UK (or at least a sawed-off double-barrel), and pump-action shotguns are infinitely more psychologically terrifying to me than a Glock.
    No no its not. The laws around owning guns is completely different and the pump action can only hold 3 rounds by law any more and that it illegal. Also sawn-offs are illegal to the point where you are fucked, our gun laws a really pretty strict.

Isn't it illegal to use a gun in self defense in most of the UK anyway? Not that its the main reason you'd own one, but just going off of the intimidation part.
  • People are trying to change the laws as you have had people arrested for defending their home in legitimate circumstances. That said if anything comes from it I would be amazed, what we have is something akin to comparative force. Where by if someone comes at you with a knife in your house then you can use a knife, but this is looking to be changed though when is anyones guess.

The prime reason to own a gun in the UK legally is hunting, which you are limited by, or target shooting, which you are limited by. It is very much a sporting thing done by a few, clay pidgin for instance, rather than lets go blaze of some rounds at static targets.
  • I really want some sort of revolver carbine for some reason.
    You have played too much Borderlands.
  • No one seems to want to buy my AR on gunbroker. I'm either going to sell it at a store or turn it back into a match rifle.
  • No one seems to want to buy my AR on gunbroker. I'm either going to sell it at a store or turn it back into a match rifle.
    It's propably because everybody and their FFL-holding dog has been buying up ARs like crazy lately. Give it a little while, for the people who missed out to get real desperate.

You have played too much Borderlands.
    Actually I haven't touched Borderlands 2 yet and I haven't played 1 in like a year. I really mainly want one because A: they're just cool and B: I can shoot cheap shit without having to worry about cycling issues like a semi-auto, or having to do any other manual feeding like most rifles. Obviously reloading is a lot slower but its still neat. They make a Taurus Circuit Judge is 22lr/22wmr that I'd like to get my hands on, but there's no way I'd spend like $600 on one of those things.

• I understand why there is no .223/5.56/7.62x39 ammo to buy. They're popular assault rifle rounds, I get the demand. Though I think it's stupid given that they'd ban the guns, not the bullets.

BUT WHY IS THERE NO .22 RIMFIRE?????
  • Its like that in a lot of places. People panic buy anything gun related regardless of if its going to be banned or not.
  • edited January 2013
    I scored a 1000 rounds of premium Federal high velocity and what is a reasonable price for premium .22LR. That should do me until this ban panic dies down.

Back to more hobbiest gun activities, I found an article online for lightening the trigger on my Marlin .22LR. Apparently you can swap out the beefy main spring for the one from a clicky ball point pen. Should yield a crisp 3 lb trigger, which will be awesome if it works. And since it's completely reversible, I'm game to give it a try.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • How does a stock Marlin shoot anyway? I've been eyeing some small caliber rifles for plinking and wold like to know if you can recommend that or something ells. I had a 10/22 as a kid, but I don't mind trying something different.
  • It shoots well. I have a Marlin Glenfield Model 25. Here's my 15 yard sight in.

I was using winchester super-x 40 gr HPs from a bulk box. I'm using a cheap Chinese scope, a Centerpoint 4-16x. The cluster is the 5 shot group I started with and the rest are as I was migrating the zero down. My riflery is a work in progress, I'm pretty rubbish and holding the gun steady. I think I have the elevation right, and the shots you see bouncing left and right are just me sucking. Given my scope height, zero at 15 yards should be zero at 100 yards. I'm taking it to a long outdoor range this weekend so I'll let you know how it does there.
  • Thanks, I'll see what they're running in my area.

I'm pretty out of practice myself (kinda hesitant to try for my rifle qualification), but all the training I've received comes down to breathing, good bone support, and trigger squeeze. Still you're grouping's a damn sight better than I could do currently.
  • It's only 15 yards with a bench rest and a scope. :P
  • edited January 2013
    I guess I just have no confidence with a rifle, which is why I want to get better with a plinking gun before I make a more considerable investment.
    Post edited by spikespiguel1 on
  • As they say, practice. I'm way better than I used to be a few years ago, but now I'm really getting serious about my riflery.

So after work today I set about modding the trigger on the Marlin. By removing one spring and replacing the other with a pen spring I've got the trigger down to about a 3.5 lb pull. Now I'm ready for the 100 yard range.
  • I hope to see a pic of the results.

You ever shoot trap?

You ever shoot trap?
    Haven't in forever, might do it this weekend. I have a Browning I've been wanting to shoot for just such an outing, but haven't yet.
  • edited January 2013
    I used to shoot for Lockheed Martin's trap team in Minnesota, but that was just because my mom worked for them.

If the weather stays nice here in Virginia Beach I'm gonna try and get someone to go with me this weekend as well.

Do you do a range, or do you have a skeet launcher?

You ever shoot trap?
    Haven't in forever, might do it this weekend. I have a Browning I've been wanting to shoot for just such an outing, but haven't yet.
    I didn't know what "trap" was for a moment because everyone around here calls it "skeet".
  • Trap is different from Skeet.

In trap, birds are shot from a center tower away from the shooters while in skeet it's from two opposing towers firing perpendicular to the shooters.
  • Today I learned:
    Trap is different from Skeet.

In trap, birds are shot from a center tower away from the shooters while in skeet it's from two opposing towers firing perpendicular to the shooters.
  • edited January 2013
    I started to shoot skeet towards the end of my compeditive shooting days. It is significantly harder than trap, and I was never all that good at it.
  • Anyone know what the cheapest Kalishnakov variant would be?
  • Anyone know what the cheapest Kalishnakov variant would be?
    A WASR 10. But you can't get one right now because everyone wants any kind of AK or AR available.
  • edited January 2013
    Anyone know what the cheapest Kalishnakov variant would be?
    Shovelnakov.
    Anyone know what the cheapest Kalishnakov variant would be?
    A WASR 10. But you can't get one right now because everyone wants any kind of AK or AR available.
    Damn that obummer cummin' to tek ur gurns.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I still wanna put my money into a Saiga. Before the ban panic they were under $500 plus they a lot nicer quality. Takes a bit more cash if you want to make it look more "tactical" again but still cheaper than many other AK's of similar quality.
  • What did I just watch?

Also, I'm thinking of going to a range in Manhattan, but I've never been to an indoor range before (or gone to a range without my own guns). Anything I should know?