This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

East coast earthquake?

Comments

• There are reports that it could be felt in southern to mid-Ohio, several hundred miles away. The geological survey guy I talked with says there's no way we would have felt it farther north.
    I kinda wonder about this too. Perhaps there was another earthquake farther north that northerners felt?
  • Yeah, 3 or 4 is tiny. Nearly 6 is pretty abnormally large. 9 is just crazy, I mean that was 1000 times more than what I just experienced.
  • I kinda wonder about this too. Perhaps there was another earthquake farther north that northerners felt?
    USGS isn't reporting anything in the neighborhood. I'm going to go with the structure I'm in, as well as the ones that people even further north, is quite susceptible to such vibrations. Taller structures and such.
  • I kinda wonder about this too. Perhaps there was another earthquake farther north that northerners felt?
    The geography of the east coast is such that our small quakes can be felt quite far away. You felt the small quake that nearly almost knocked over a TV in our conference room and scared the shit out of us.
  • edited August 2011
    Catching up on Twitter and Facebook comments from folk I know. A mixture of WTF and hilarity. I have to admit, i was a little scared bitch this while time. Ran down the stairs putting on a tee shirt and tweeting my fear. Us DC folk are NOT used to this!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Catching up on Twitter and Facebook comments from folk I know. A mixture of WTF and hilarity. I have to admit, i was a little scared bitch this while time. Ran down the stairs putting on a tee shirt and tweeting my fear. Us DC folk are NOT used to this!
    Yeah, this is not normal.
  • Yeah, 3 or 4 is tiny. Nearly 6 is pretty abnormally large.
    Not really. It's just that any earthquake seems big when you're right on top of it.
  • Yeah, as I've pointed out to some of my west coast friends, east coast structures where not made with earthquakes in mind. The local bridge in and out of the city has been shut down due to cracks in the bridge. Now, looking up the bridge it seems it should have been closed to begin with:

Penn Street Bridge
    Inspection (as of 03/2007)
    Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
    Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
    Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
    Appraisal: Structurally deficient
    Sufficiency rating: 8.4 (out of 100) (are you kidding me?)
  • Not really. It's just that any earthquake seems big when you're right on top of it.
    No, 6.0 is strong. California has lots of of little earthquakes all the time. This was the very beginning of the "oh shit" end of the spectrum.
  • Yeah, 3 or 4 is tiny. Nearly 6 is pretty abnormally large.
    Not really. It's just that any earthquake seems big when you're right on top of it.
    Well, it's abnormally large for the East coast. We don't get these things. My earth stays pretty motionless almost all the time.

I don't know how you West coasters live with this.
  • edited August 2011
    Apparently, they shut down the nuclear reactor near DC.

edit:
    I don't know how you West coasters live with this.
    This may just be my New England-er pride but, CMON! You are East Coast people! You brave blizzards, hurricanes, floods... Fer christs sake the ground just went a bit wobbly! KEEP IT TOGETHER!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • so there have been quakes in the southwest today as well right? Probably not as news worthy since they are on major faults out there that don't like to sit still.
  • so there have been quakes in the southwest today as well right? Probably not as news worthy since they are on major faults out there that don't like to sit still.
    Ours was big, the south west was not.
  • dsfdsf
    edited August 2011
    :)

Say it again, oh Brother Maynard!
    Post edited by dsf on
  • I was working at the lab in MD and it felt more like a tremor than anything. Though I feel bad for the people in VA.
  • edited August 2011
    No, 6.0 is strong. California has lots of of little earthquakes all the time. This was the very beginning of the "oh shit" end of the spectrum.
    I guess it's just because I'm more used to them, but magnitude 6 is about where I switch over from "wheee that was fun" to "dammit, now I have to pick up all the stuff that just fell off my desk."
    Post edited by Sail on
  • "There was just a 5.9 earthquake in Washington. Obama wanted it to be a 3.4, but the Republicans wanted 5.9, so he compromised."
  • "There was just a 5.9 earthquake in Washington. Obama wanted it to be a 3.4, but the Republicans wanted 5.9, so he compromised."
    Oooh, burn.
  • While things felt really serious on the 7th floor of my office building, down in my basement apartment pretty much nothing fell over.
  • edited August 2011
    I felt it at work and when I asked people in my office if they just felt the building move, they all said "no." I thought I was crazy or ill until Adam called me to ask if I felt the earthquake. Apparently I am not crazy and everyone else in my office is unobservant.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • While things felt really serious on the 7th floor of my office building, down in my basement apartment pretty much nothing fell over.
    Yeah, same with me. It looks like basements are pretty safe, most of my Gundam figures and my bookshelfs are still up. :D
  • it's weird to me that it happened on my birthday.... maybe I'm the anti-christ
  • Had my screw driver fall off the bench in Akron. What a tragic event.
  • It broke a coffee shop window here in NC.
    Win. Someone shoop some more tears on that eagle.
  • Had my screw driver fall off the bench in Akron. What a tragic event.
    My poop sign fell off in my bathroom.