This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• Syrian hackers brought down the NYT website today, and possible have been targeting Twitter.
  • Why? What do they gain by doing this?
  • They just took down twitter.co.uk https://twitter.com/Official_SEA16
  • Why? What do they gain by doing this?
    It lets them think they have really big e-peens.
  • They hacked E! Online.
    They also said some lame and useless things, but this one was high quality.

I'm not convinced that these are actual Syrians. I think it's foreigners trying to bring public attention to the situation.
  • I agree with Andrew on this topic.
    Yep. I'll back him too.

• False flags require a lot more planning and organization than the rebels are capable of. It's just not plausible that this is some sort of detailed attack to get the US involved.
    Hey well here's an article from a far left Israeli paper where a retired Colonel says chemical weapons in Syria could be an Israeli false flag: http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/west-of-eden/former-bush-administration-official-israel-may-be-behind-use-of-chemical-arms-in-syria.premium-1.519172

It's some shit I could see being true, given the source (Col. Wilkenson worked in the Bush administration but opposed the war in Iraq, so dude's got some sense at least) and that Israel is generally pretty fucked up. But either way, like most Mid East situations, Americans have such filtered access to information that it's hard to ascertain what the hell is true.
  • I agree that having definitive proof is a requisite before any military action in this case.

Otherwise the US will continue to have a poor standing amongst the global population

Deputy Prime Minister of Russia Dmitry Rogozin on Twitter
    "the West behaves towards the Islamic world like a monkey with a grenade."

Although this may be exaggerated I back this comment from what I've observed over the past few years.
  • I would note that Russia and China both have their own economic interests in not having a intervention in Syria and shouldn't necessarily be trusted as reliable sources when it comes to information on Syria. It's not like either country has "good standing" amongst the global population as well.
  • The excerpt of the call sounds more like a rogue element than a government sanctioned use of a nerve agent.
  • I would note that Russia and China both have their own economic interests in not having a intervention in Syria and shouldn't necessarily be trusted as reliable sources when it comes to information on Syria. It's not like either country has "good standing" amongst the global population as well.
    I fully understand there are interests from Russia and China as noted in my prior posts, no one enters or starts a war which does not involve domestic territorial disputes without its own interests.
  • For those who say that it doesn't make sense that Assad launched chemical weapons, you should really read this article.
  • edited August 2013
    For those who say that it doesn't make sense that Assad launched chemical weapons, you should really read this article.
    "There is not a community but various nations with different interests, not all of whom are relevant actors in Syria’s brutal civil war. Of the more relevant ones, namely Russia and the United States: the former fully backs the regime, while the other lacks a strategy or appetite for the Syrian conflict, and has made this clear."

How does the US govt lack a strategy when it's been imposing economic sanctions for years? What do people think tanking an economy during the beginning of an uprising is all about? It's absurd to think the US govt is neutral towards ANYTHING in the Middle East.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • So, uh...yeah
  • Iran's threatening to attack Israel if the US govt attacks Syria http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/world/middleeast/syria-iran-israel.html
  • To be clear, it wasn't a direct threat but merely stating that people in the region would hate/target Israel (read Hezbollah and similar groups). Besides, Israel would probably welcome a reason to bomb the shit out of Iran's nuclear facilities.
  • It's also pretty common for many Arab/Islamic countries in that part of the world to automatically threaten to attack Israel if any other Arab/Islamic countries are attacked by a western country, even if Israel has nothing to do with said attacks. Iraq actually did attack Israel during the first Gulf War, remember.

The only reason why I think Iran didn't threaten to attack Israel during either Iraq war or the Afghanistan war is that the Iranian leadership had their own issues with the Iraqi leadership and the Taliban anyway (probably partly due to Iran's leadership being Shia muslims whereas Iraq's and the Taliban were Sunni, and that's also not figuring in the Iran/Iraq war), so they probably really didn't care if a couple of their enemies were duking it out with each other.
  • I really need to get all these Islamist factions straight one of these days.
  • edited August 2013
    it's all the same, they all hate America...at least if you ask the WWF in 1991.
    (for those not in the know, we have an American, Sgt. Slaughter, an Iraqi, General Adnan, and an Iranian, Iron Shiek, all united in storyline support for Iraq during the first Gulf War)
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
    (for those not in the know, we have an American, Sgt. Slaughter, an Iraqi, General Adnan, and an Iranian, Iron Shiek, all united in storyline support for Iraq during the first Gulf War)
    That was a horrible story line, see OSW review for all of the PPV "highlights" of it.
  • I've been watching OSW Review and just finished the Rumble where Slaughter got the title. That's why it was on my mind.

• I've been watching OSW Review and just finished the Rumble where Slaughter got the title. That's why it was on my mind.

Welcome to listening fellow Nogger ;)
  • Iron Sheik performed at one of the 'middle of nowhere' army bases I was stationed at. Outdoor match and all.
  • I also heard that they are going to make a documentary on the Iron Sheik how he went from the Iran national Wrestling team, escaped to America, and his whole WWE career.
  • edited August 2013
    Actually, the Iron Sheik was playing the part of an Iraqi by the name of Colonel Mustafa during that storyline (hey, all those middle easterners look alike anyway, right Vince? :P ). Old timers (like myself) recognized Mustafa as the Iron Sheik, but I guess WWF management thought no one would notice the resemblance to the Iron Sheik. Sgt. Slaughter's schtick during that storyline (and what the hell was Vince smoking when he came up with/approved it) was that American had "grown weak" and he was siding with Iraq as a result.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Russia's sending a missile cruiser and an anti-submarine ship to the Mediterranean.
  • Yes, I'm well aware that Sheik was going under another name, but casual fans would call him Iron Sheik, not Col. Mustafa, so I was going for wide appeal. It's still bizarre to see an Iranian playing a pro Iraq role so soon after those countries had been in a nasty war.
  • Yes, I'm well aware that Sheik was going under another name, but casual fans would call him Iron Sheik, not Col. Mustafa, so I was going for wide appeal. It's still bizarre to see an Iranian playing a pro Iraq role so soon after those countries had been in a nasty war.
    Well, the Iron Sheik was a former bodyguard of the Shah of Iran, so it wasn't like he was a big fan of the post-Iranian Revolution regime either. I don't know if this is exactly what I thought, but I could see him saying, "It wasn't the Iranian people Iraq was fighting, it was the Ayatollah." Alternately, it could just be because of "Money, dear boy."