This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fox considering an all-Simpsons channel.

edited September 2011 in Everything Else
Fox's newest business move:
Ready for a channel devoted to nothing but "The Simpsons?"

Don't laugh, it is one idea News Corp. Chief Operating Officer Chase Carey threw out when speaking Tuesday at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media Communications & Entertainment Conference in Beverly Hills.
I find it funny how the article specifically tells us not to laugh, because in the following paragraph:
Carey said the company is starting to have internal discussions about how to create additional revenue streams for the animated hit that goes beyond reruns on TV stations and DVD sales.
Um... Yeah, additional revenue streams beyond TV and DVDs. I think there's a medium for that, but I can't think of what it is...

Comments

• We get a 24 hour Simpsons channel, new inferior Futurama, but still no Life In Hell cartoon? Fuck Fox.
  • In the words of James Rolfe, WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!
  • I want a show that features Apu's Kwik-E-Mart and all you do is watch via the security cameras citizens of Springfield buy, shoplift and rob the store.
  • This means that they could run the entire series, including the movies, shorts and specials, in roughly eleven days(ten and a bit if they only showed regular episodes), and they would add another entire day to that every 48 episodes, or just under two seasons.
  • At least it's not as dumb an idea as the all Jimmy Buffet station on XM radio.
  • At least it's not as dumb an idea as the all Jimmy Buffet station on XM radio.
    You know, for the brief time that I had XM, I listened to that station a lot.
    When I was a kid, I used to confuse Warren Buffet and Jimmy Buffet all the goddamn time.
  • I never knew who Jimmy Buffet was until recently. It never hit where I lived as kid.
  • No true Toonami channel, no Simpsons Channel.
  • new inferior Futurama
    Is it really a matter of being that much worse than the original series as far as minute-to-minute jokes, though? I just think that like Simpsons several years before, we've seen many years of it and it's run out of new, relevant things to say.
  • In before that clip of Bart telling Homer that if he ever had a hit show he'd run it into the ground, to which Homer responds, "That's my boy."
  • What would be a good idea is a general FOX animation channel. Show all their animated programs, and also a few new ones just for that channel. Buy up some old ones that nobody else is showing to fill in the gaps.
  • I have a great deal of affection for the Simpsons, and I would watch an all-Simpsons channel.
  • I have a great deal of affection for the Simpsons, and I would watch an all-Simpsons channel.
    For how long, though? Long enough for it to be commercially viable on a long timeline?
  • edited September 2011
    It could be viable. Sure, not many people would watch it for long periods of time straight, but it's the kind of channel people would switch on casually relatively often, or perhaps have constantly on in a public place.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • How quaint. The idea of a "channel."
  • How quaint. The idea of a "channel."
    You mean that thing I put my YouTube videos in, right?

:P
  • The Simpsons only has 6.75 days of material, and they aren't generating new material fast enough to satisfy the demands of a dedicated network. You'd have reruns before a week was up.
  • The Simpsons only has 6.75 days of material, and they aren't generating new material fast enough to satisfy the demands of a dedicated network. You'd have reruns before a week was up.
    If they only showed regular episodes - doubtless, they'd include ads, of course - they've got about Ten days of materiel at the moment, and they generate a full day of materiel every two and a bit seasons.
  • What would be a good idea is a general FOX animation channel. Show all their animated programs, and also a few new ones just for that channel. Buy up some old ones that nobody else is showing to fill in the gaps.
    That's what I was thinking, considering King of the Hill and Family Guy are still on syndication and airing on tons of cable networks. But at this point, The Simpsons has a real lack of it's following audience/fandom to really get into the nichey, expensive networks. As sad as it is to say it, it's turning into an Everybody Loves Raymond or Two and a Half Men where it's popular, but no one talks about it at all or does it have such a large, devoted fanbase or critical praise.

Maybe around the time of The Simpsons Movie, this could have happened.
  • As sad as it is to say it, it's turning into an Everybody Loves Raymond or Two and a Half Men where it's popular, but no one talks about it at all or does it have such a large, devoted fanbase or critical praise.
    I can't understand why either of these shows is popular. They're like cardboard cutouts of a sitcom.
  • As sad as it is to say it, it's turning into an Everybody Loves Raymond or Two and a Half Men where it's popular, but no one talks about it at all or does it have such a large, devoted fanbase or critical praise.
    I can't understand why either of these shows is popular. They're like cardboard cutouts of a sitcom.
    Old People who don't know any better, who don't like the internet or listening to critics in any sense. I think generally if you don't go on the internet or look at any kind of research/critique/opinions on the show, they'll just take whatever is given to them. I know people at my own age who even think those shows are funny.
    My mom fucking loves Raymond. My main issue is that the basic formula of the show is "Debra is a ball-breaking bitch, and Ray is pussy-whipped into doing whatever she says. Then, he lies to her to do something he wants, rather than doing the smart thing, and hilarity ensues."

At least TaaHM had the whole "Charlie Sheen playing Charlie Sheen" meta-funny to it.
  • On one hand, a Fox animation channel for more adult oriented fare would be nice, because it would cause the production of more animation for grown ups. The downside is you now have made the animation ghetto, and cordoned it off from the rest of the shows. Part of the popularity of the Simpsons is that it ran on regular TV just like a live action sitcom would have done. I think that if we specialize in animation, only the people who care about cartoons are going to watch, and the public at large will stick to their regular fare.
  • Part of the popularity of the Simpsons is that it ran on regular TV just like a live action sitcom would have done. I think that if we specialize in animation, only the people who care about cartoons are going to watch, and the public at large will stick to their regular fare.
    This is a very important point. Put Cowboy Bebop on prime time TV and I suspect it would be a smash hit.
  • I can't understand why either of these shows is popular. They're like cardboard cutouts of a sitcom.
    Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens are both difficult for me to understand, but then I didn't really understand watching shows like Friends either and some people with decent taste also enjoyed that at the time. They're obviously very unchallenging and predictable to watch, which some people like, they have inertia and popularity going for them, and they're sadly probably some of the better broadcast live-action sitcoms in this day in age (not that I would know).
  • shows like Friends
    some people with decent taste also enjoyed
    Error. Does not compute.
  • Yeah, I can't tell you how many people in my high school liked shows like Simpsons and Seinfeld but also liked Friends. That was really the other big show. We'd be talking TV and I'd be amazed that all of these people had good taste in shows and were making good points about them and then I'd suddenly get really quiet when it turned to Friends and everyone started talking about smelly cat, or the monkey episode, or the museum episode or whatever. I've probably implicitly lied about thinking Friends was kinda sorta ok more than anything else in my life. I'm at least sympathetic to the idea that as high school kids lots of us dreamed of making it in the big city.
  • Different strokes for different blokes.
  • Different strokes for different blokes.