This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So, who here wears the kilt?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I would like to clear something up: both of the people pictured are men.
    Oh, Okay. I honestly didn't know, I'm not familiar with Princess Jellyfish, in fact, never heard of it. Sorry, my mistake.
    Bring me one.
    Get your own! They're fun and friendly. Also, I'm too far away from any Scotsman, and I don't think you speak Indonesian.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2011
    Globalisation is eating nasi goreng while wearing a kilt.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • Wearing a kilt is a queer thing.
    And a purse isn't? And not just any purse, but a purse based off a character from cartoon targeted at little girls?
  • edited September 2011
    Bring me one.
    Get your own! They're fun and friendly. Also, I'm too far away from any Scotsman, and I don't think you speak Indonesian.
    I'd be wary of telling the kilt-wearers I've met that they're "closet queers," though. Friendly or not, they'd probably kick the shit out of you before popping off for a few pints.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Wearing a kilt is a queer thing.
    And a purse isn't? And not just any purse, but a purse based off a character from cartoon targeted at little girls?
    A character who is a fashion designer no less.
    I make no attempt to hide anything about my gender identification.
  • edited September 2011
    I make no attempt to hide anything about my gender identification.
    You're implying that any of us do.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Did you not read the rest of my posts? This entire thread has been me saying that you are all closeted transvestites, and the rest of you arguing back.
  • This entire thread has been me saying that you are all closeted transvestites
    And supporting that assertion amazingly poorly.

I flatly disagree that any article of clothing is inherently masculine or feminine, and you've yet to support the notion. Modern society identifies the kilt as a masculine garment. Is it a skirt? Fuck yes it's a skirt. Is it a feminine skirt? No.
  • any article of clothing is inherently masculine or feminine,
  • edited September 2011
    Did you not read the rest of my posts? This entire thread has been me saying that you are all closeted transvestites, and the rest of you arguing back.
    Well, your fundamental error is that they aren't closeted about it at all. Also, kilts are men's clothes, so its not transvestism. Pant legs do not a gender-specific garment make.

So, anyone here wear the powdered wig?
    Post edited by Special A on
  • Did you not read the rest of my posts? This entire thread has been me saying that you are all closeted transvestites, and the rest of you arguing back.
    I'm sorry if you feel fucking lonely or alone, or whatever the fuck you've got going on, but quit projecting your bullshit on everyone else. Go join a fuckin' support group or some shit, I don't know. Most people are not running from the femininity of it, they just want to wear a kilt, or a skirt, or a sarong, or what ever the bloody fuck they like. I'm sorry this doesn't mean we get to run around giggling or clucking our tongues about how in the closet everyone who chooses one bit of cloth over another is, but frankly, that's not really a habit I want to get into to begin with, because it's extraordinarily cuntish.
    Fuck off on out of here, then. You're wrong, and no one gives a shit about your opinion.
  • any article of clothing is inherently masculine or feminine,
    Simon would like to have a word with you.
  • In the 1700s and early 1800s it wasn't uncommon for boys to wear corsets in their youth, and some men continued to. George Motherfucking Washington wore one.
  • In the 1700s and early 1800s it wasn't uncommon for boys to wear corsets in their youth, and some men continued to. George Motherfucking Washington wore one.
    He had to wear one. Can you imagine the carnage that would have ensued if he didn't have one of those things restraining him?
  • edited September 2011

So, anyone here wear the powdered wig?
    Yes.

I might not mind wearing one of those leather construction kilts with the toolbelts and all, but they're hugely expensive, aren't they?

Here's my question: Why would any guy who regularly wears shorts mind wearing a kilt.

My other reason I don't wear a kilt is that I live in Baltimore. One of the rules in Baltimore is to not stand out too much, as in wearing a kilt may get you "kilt". That's not even so much because the criminal who kills you has a think against kilts. The kilt just made you a little more noticeable than the rest of the crowd and so you were easy to follow and mug/kill at the first opportunity.

Also, "Hey Tom, let's mug that guy in the Pea coat, watch cap, and jeans."

"Which one? There are about a hundred of those guys."

"Well, let's rob this guy who's wearing a kilt."

"Yeah. He sticks out like a sire thumb and can be picked out of a crowd from anywhere."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Shit yeah powdered wig.
  • Defiantly its the what I grab when I leave the house. That and my frock coat, can't leave with out my frock coat. I'd look like a right plonker if I turned up to court with out one.
  • I would have a black corset covered in spikes. Totally fucking manly.
  • Shit yeah powdered wig.
    This need to be a thing. NOW.
    I would have a black corset covered in spikes. Totally fucking manly.
    You'll remind me of those mad max looking black Christan anti white guys that yell in Chinatown here.
  • I wear a kilt and it looks cool as milk. It's a McKenzie tartan (I'm closer to Macleod but that yellow and black pattern is nasty and my Gran always preferred the McKenzie)

Any Scotland game will see me in Nevada Smiths wearing it along with a host of others. At the Tartan Parade you will see me and my son in them marching down 5th avenue to the sound of bagpipes.
  • Any good Kilt manufacturers to be recommended? Reasonably priced
  • Dazzle369 said:

Any good Kilt manufacturers to be recommended? Reasonably priced

Just go to a fabric store and buy cloth. It's not that different than a toga.
  • I'm waiting for the Utilitoga
  • I whole heartedly recommend J. Higgens Ltd out of Kansas City. The website sucks, but the kilts are awesome and stand up to years and years and years of wear.

The prices are really reasonable and you get high quality.

http://www.jhiggins.net/
  • Kilts have nothing to do with homosexuality or gender ambiguity. The end.

It's a classic mistake to impose modern norms/trends/lenses on historical information.

There are plenty of examples of transexuality/homosexuality in history without trying to be especially edgy.
  • @muppet why are you bringing sexuality into a discussion of kilts?
  • Oh was it me that did that? Silly me.
  • Either it was you or some comment from five years ago that you were responding too :)
  • I always forget that when you click on a thread for the first time it shows you the first page.
  • AaronC said:

I whole heartedly recommend J. Higgens Ltd out of Kansas City. The website sucks, but the kilts are awesome and stand up to years and years and years of wear.

The prices are really reasonable and you get high quality.

http://www.jhiggins.net/

OOOooooohhh... These look mighty fine.