This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bank of America

Comments

• Remember though, if you own a place, you lose everything you invested in it when the government comes to put you in reeducation camps. If you invest all your capital directly into precious metals, ammunition, non-perishable foods and an invisible bunker in the middle of nowhere, your money is protected for as long as you can hold a rifle.
    Along those lines, what is the best form of "currency"? As in, resistant to economic or governmental collapse, famine, zombie attack, other catastrophes?

I'm inclined to list the above, but too much and you'll end up with more trouble than it's worth defending it.
  • Along those lines, what is the best form of "currency"? As in, resistant to economic or governmental collapse, famine, zombie attack, other catastrophes?
    Food and water.
  • Bottlecaps
  • Along those lines, what is the best form of "currency"? As in, resistant to economic or governmental collapse, famine, zombie attack, other catastrophes?
    7.62x39mm
  • edited October 2011
    In order, water, food, intimidation, shelter, land, subservient people, and transportation. You'll note that medieval lords were the people who possessed these things, with wells, food stores, military training and weapons, forts/castles, farmland, serfs, and horses. Similarly, warlords in lawless places tend to control water pumps, aid shipments or farming villages, lots of guns, camps, a "safe" territory, members indebted to them (in some cases, child soldiers), and a fleet of vehicles like technicals. That's the sort of shit you should either have or have access to if you want to set yourself up as the big badass of post-civilization.

Useful medicine is another good one, but it's basically non-renewable without civilization keeping production going.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Medical education (first responder type stuff) and a plethora of trade skills, possibly?
  • Ooh, and vice! If you can control flow of drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex, whatever, that makes you pretty powerful.
  • Ooh, and vice! If you can control flow of spice, that makes you pretty powerful.
  • In order, water, food, intimidation, shelter, land, subservient people, and transportation.
    I would put "transportation" above "land," only because adequate transportation systems give you access to more of all of those things. Maneuvering is the most critical component of a war. Napoleon was a genius because his heavy use of cavalry gave his armies far more mobility.

So yeah. Transportation is way important.
  • Ok. I'm a college student and don't have any line of credit. Do you guys have any recommendations for good "starter" credit cards?
  • Ok. I'm a college student and don't have any line of credit. Do you guys have any recommendations for good "starter" credit cards?
    Get whatever that doesn't have a monthly/yearly service fee.
    To be honest, the market is so different today than when I got my first card that there's little specific advice I can give.

But yeah, avoid annual fees and look for rewards programs. Discover's cashback is great. A lot of people like the Amazon rewards card.

If you're only going with one card, get a MasterCard - not everyone takes Discover or American Express because of the higher fees charged by these cards.

I've never had a Visa card of my own - my state travel card is a Visa, but that's not something I can use freely - so I can't comment on those.
  • Visa and Mastercard are identical for all intents and purposes in the US.
  • See I've never had a Mastercard, and if I were to say I'd say get Visa and avoid Discover and Amex for the same reasons.

Definitely not Discover
  • avoid Discover and Amex for the same reasons.
    Here's the deal. The optimal loadout is to have three credit cards and two debit cards. Not everyone can get to that point right away, but it's a goal you should have.

Credit Card #1: Starter Card
    VISA or Mastercard

This can be a crap card. If possible, get one from your bank. Low limit, high interest, secured, whatever. Just avoid an an annual fee if at all possible. Use this card for all of your purchases, and pay it off every month. Keep it forever, as it will likely be your longest line of credit. Once you get another card, this becomes the backup card used sparingly if at all.

Credit Card #2: Main Card
    VISA or Mastercard

If your first card is Mastercard, get VISA (and vice versa). Get a "real" credit card. No annual fee, but a higher limit and some perks (points, cashback, air miles, whatever). Use this card for every financial transaction you can from this point forward. If the card ever sucks or you can get a better one, go ahead and do it (shutting this line of credit down).

Credit Card #3: Big Ticket Card
    AMEX or Discover

Once you have some money, you might want to get an AMEX or Discover to be used solely for emergencies or big ticket purchases (e.g., major travel, buying an ATV, etc...). YMMV, and I'm personally of the mind that this use is fading in the modern era. You may never need a third card even if you're fairly wealthy.

Debit Card #1
    This is for your primary bank account. Only use it to get cash from ATMs.

Debit Card #2
    Have a checking or savings accounts with some money in it at another bank. Only use this account for emergency cash if your primary card/bank has a problem and you need said cash RIGHT NOW.
  • I've always gone with the Discover card and a visa/debit card with a checking account with a decent balance.

I use Discover card for everything that i can, if not I fall back on my Visa/Debit card.
  • Just to add to the conversation about cards,
    Make sure to ask for higher limits on your cards because it gives you a better credit ratio. Its like saying "I have all of this money to spend, but I'm not going to" then they see you as responsible and you get a better score. So if you still have that crappy starter card that you almost never use, see if you can get a higher limit, because you aren't using it anyways. Although I would suggest using the card every now and then (I use mine solely for gas) so they don't drop you for not using it.

Another suggestion is to get a credit card through your bank. My main credit card is with mine, and its super awesome because I can easily transfer money from my checking into my card balance. Its pretty much like having a debit card, except with the extra step of the transfer. And of course you have the option of spending too much and not paying off the balance that month, which I totally never do... >__>

In reference to what this thread is actually about, Wells Fargo/Wachovia is also doing a debit card fee ($3) and said so quite awhile back, but nobody complained. Maybe people just really hate BOA. But yeah, even though I can easily afford $3 a month, I'm just going to use my credit card from now on, you know, to prove a point. :-P
  • And of course you have the option of spending too much and not paying off the balance that month, which I totally never do... >__>
    Yeah...I never do that either <__
  • Considering all of your advice (which I greatly appreciate, by the way), I'm may just apply for an Amazon Visa card.

Before I go through with that decision, though, do you guys have any last-minute (specific) credit card recommendations? Should I attempt to go with Amazon? Best Buy? Sony? Wal-Mart?
  • edited October 2011
    Amazon is what I'm going to apply for when I get back to the states, but there is a big chance of being rejected if you haven't held another card for a while, as I understand it. The requirements for Rewards Cards are pretty strict.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Before I go through with that decision, though, do you guys have any last-minute (specific) credit card recommendations? Should I attempt to go with Amazon? Best Buy? Sony? Wal-Mart?
    Where do you buy most of your shit?

Also, stop going to Wal-Mart.
  • I have one from my bank for simplicity's sake.
  • edited October 2011
    Haha. I know about Wal-Mart's shittiness, and I only go there if I'm in a hurry to get something.

Honestly, I buy most of my shit on Amazon, but since I have absolutely no credit, I doubt my application will be approved there.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Honestly, I buy most of my shit on Amazon, but since I have absolutely no credit, I doubt my application will be approved there.
    Doesn't cost anything to apply. I've never had a rejection. You would be surprised.
  • Honestly, I buy most of my shit on Amazon, but since I have absolutely no credit, I doubt my application will be approved there.
    Go ahead and apply. As long as the information is secure, what's the worst that could happen? They reject you but send you offers for cards you would be approved for?
  • Considering all of your advice (which I greatly appreciate, by the way), I'm may just apply for an Amazon Visa card.

Before I go through with that decision, though, do you guys have any last-minute (specific) credit card recommendations? Should I attempt to go with Amazon? Best Buy? Sony? Wal-Mart?
    Be careful, too many inquiries will hurt your credit score, thus making it even harder for you. Although I'm not sure what that means for a person with no credit. In my experience store cards are more strict about having previous credit history (no idea about Amazon though). It took me forever to get that Victoria's Secret card I lusted over for so long. Now I have their highest version ^-^ (When it comes to cute panties and bras, yes, I am a consumer whore)
  • (When it comes to cute panties and bras, yes, I am a consumer whore)
    I see.
  • Things I was not expecting to hear today. :P
  • if you have a relative that has USAA, see if you can get into USAA.
  • if you have a relative that has USAA, see if you can get into USAA.
    USAA is hax. My coworker has an account and he gets his direct deposit for DFAS payroll a day before me. It's not like I need the money, but that's pretty cool.