This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SOPA / Protect IP

Comments

• No, it's because you listen to mostly metal, and a few months ago a bunch of metal labels all decided to make a "stand" and take their music off of Spotify because they're opposed to the whole concept of it.
  • No, it's because you listen to mostly metal, and a few months ago a bunch of metal labels all decided to make a "stand" and take their music off of Spotify because they're opposed to the whole concept of it.
    Shits, I didn't hear about this. When I used Spotify right at the beginning there was plenty of metal, but I've been listening to more electronica lately. The metal was removed when I wasn't paying attention.

• edited January 2012
    Huh. Didn't bother looking for all those guys since I already have their discographies. So, almost no Amon Amarth, but they've got Absu and The Atlas Moth?

EDIT: Ah, didn't know about the "stand" thing.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2012
    Century Media pulled, then Prosthetic, and finally Metal Blade. Check those artist rosters, a fuckton of notable bands on there.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The thing is, it's so stupid for these guys to take themselves off Spotify. Sure, they pay you next to nothing. But guess what if you aren't on there? I pirate and you get literally nothing.

Not only that, but because Spotify is what I have open at work all day, I'm not going to be listening to them. If I'm not listening to them, they aren't getting in my head and being on my mind on a frequent basis. So I'm not following them, and my interest and fandom in them is not growing. Instead I'm discovering music I never knew about like Skrillex, Pendulum, Wolfgang Gartner, AWOLNATION, and Infected Mushroom. I found all of them organically on Spotify.

They all have a lot to learn from Machinae Supremacy. They're from Sweden, they love Pirate Bay and shit.
  • edited January 2012
    That was basically Spotify's response, that they're "risking obscurity" for their artists by not having them on there.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited January 2012
    That was basically Spotify's response, that they're "risking obscurity."
    That's a pretty fucking stupid thing to think about Metal goddamn Blade and Century fucking Media.

I think they'll come around eventually.

EDIT: Apparently Earache is all about the Spotify, though.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • That was basically Spotify's response, that they're "risking obscurity."
    That's a pretty fucking stupid thing to think about Metal goddamn Blade and Century fucking Media.

I think they'll come around eventually.

EDIT: Apparently Earache is all about the Spotify, though.
    This Earache?
    http://open.spotify.com/artist/3MJULv0JuLgp06RJXhch6D

• edited January 2012
    Nuclear Blast is still there too.

Related: This infographic from Information is Beautiful on how much music artists earn online.

Edit- That infographic is kind of old - from April of 2010 - but, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think very much has changed since then.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Am I one of the few people that simply goes and buys the digital album from the artist (9/10 from their bandcamp page) and then after filling in missing tags uploads it to the Amazon Cloud Player for listenable use later?
  • You mean this infographic
    I fucked up my link, but I chose not to embed it for a (very good) reason.
  • edited January 2012
    I fucked up my link, but I chose not to embed it for a (very good) reason.
    Yeah, I was trying to just fix the link, when I noticed it was an image, so I added the image tag and then didn't double check my post again. Now the edit timer has expired, so I can't fix it anymore. It's the last post on the page, so I don't think it's a big deal. Besides, it's completely your fault anyway for messing up the link.

On a RELated note, you forgot the rel attribute in that block quote tag.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • That looks bad, but it ignores a host of other factors: The idea that music isn't "pick one format," the fact that artists always make the lion's share of their income touring, the fact that as piracy spreads it's pointless to not stream, etc.

The model has changed, and artists only stand to lose if they refuse to change their models in response.
  • The comparison is between the number of free streams to the purchasing of physical/digital products. Its a rather meaningless comparison.
  • If you think piracy is actually a widespread and powerful force in America with a significant impact on domestic profits, then you're being swayed by RIAA bs.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view.action?id=7020409067
  • @johndis, I don't think anyone here thinks that.

Also, besides the silly download / stream comparison, they also compare relative numbers of tracks / albums sold, which is like comparing apples to bushels (of apples). "You only need to sell three bushels to make even, but you need 270 apples!"
  • edited January 2012
    Well I've just read a bunch of comments like "piracy can't be stopped" , "the model needs to be
    updated" or "piracy is spreading" and I've just been trying to point out that digital distribution and streaming methods have become extremely popular and piracy rates are dwindling down into a sort of niche sector. US piracy is pretty much moot now. The RIAA literally claims the US piracy rate is something like 95% and they keep pushing a ridiculous propaganda campaign in the states that I feel like might be the root cause behind a lot of the anti-anti-piracy campaign. SOPA protests are a different sort of thing, as the bill's hella messed up in a bunch of ways, but the fight against anti-piracy existed well before that.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • edited January 2012
    US piracy is pretty much moot now.
    I would contend that point (if I had accurate metrics), but I agree that the RIAA claims are most likely hilariously overblown. A few piracy advocates fall into the "information wants to be free" camp, but it seems that the vast majority are in the "I want to give creators money, but the opportunity cost (DRM, terrible distribution schemes) and the lack of content really hamper this. Also, the MPAA/RIAA are being dicks to everyone (including their own customers), so fuck those guys" camp.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Yeah, that's true too. I agree with the MPAA/RIAA hate because I don't get how amyone could support them... including artists, but the cries against DRM and distribution are just so out of touch with what the market's grown into the past few years. It feels like a weird war of rhetoric from both ends, honestly.
  • Also if you think piracy is a powerful force in America, go research Russian music culture. Russians have never paid for music. If you're a musician, you have to also be working a real job, and there is basically no Russian copyright protection.
  • Album sales don't have to be the primary source of revenue. Take, for example, Anamanaguchi. As far as I can gather, the vast majority of their money comes from live shows and merch. I've heard stories about the band members telling fans at concerts to pirate their music from The Pirate Bay. They're not exactly rolling in money, but they're certainly making a living for themselves.
  • They also aren't supporting families. It's much more difficult to have to tour all the time when you have a spouse and children, and a lot of older musicians may have come to rely on album sales for this reason.
  • edited January 2012
    MPAA "not comfortable" with Internet" and "fighting an opponent who controls the internet" (ie: Google).

Fear is the mind killer. However if you are rich enough it can be the killer of whatever your afraid of.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited January 2012
    MPAA "not comfortable" with Internet" and "fighting an opponent who controls the internet" (ie: Google).
    Fixed the link for you. Missed your second double quote. Happens to the best of us.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • DANG it. Why's a busted link gotta look like a working link?
  • I'm glad SOPA didn't get anywhere but I believe people on the Internet are naive when it comes to companies like Google. The media companies will come up with a deal that splits large tech companies like Google, which need their media, from the rest of us. Once they do, the rest of us will look like uncompromising hold-outs that can be ignored.
  • DANG it. Why's a busted link gotta look like a working link?
    It's still an <a> tag, so the CSS rule that makes it blue applies, but the browser's HTML renderer doesn't parse it properly because it wasn't well-formed, so it doesn't actually work. I don't know if that was a rhetorical question or not, but there's your answer.

Maybe I should investigate the feasibility of writing a Vanilla extension that warns you if your HTML does not validate. Maybe someone's already done it? A quick Google search yielded nothing.
  • edited February 2012
    We pretty much all know that the one band who makes by far the best use of the Internet for their own promotion and marketing is OK Go. However, thanks to the GEMA, it is not possible for me to watch the band's video for White Knuckles at work, despite said video being hosted from the bands own YouTube account. The same for Here It Goes Again, the marching band version of This Too Shall Pass, etc. though they are hosted by the bands label.

The same is true for anybody in germany. Thank you GEMA, you really saved the day here...
    Post edited by chaosof99 on