This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Military service - when is it valuable?

edited January 2012 in Flamewars
Putting this in flamewars since it is likely to get fairly heated.

When is military service actually valuable? At this point, I'm of the opinion that the military is good in two main scenarios:

1. You want to be in the military, meaning that you desire an incredibly structured life and love the idea of being in the military.
2. You have no other options, meaning that your grades/attitude/aptitude won't let you get into a college or into a decent trade any other way.

Aside from that, it falls into the realm of being a Terrible Life Decision since (after you strip away all the romantic notions and get down to practicality) you're risking your life for a pretty lousy paycheck and some mediocre training that may not be applicable to anything outside military service.

Convince me otherwise, though. I'd be happy to revise my opinion.

Comments

• This question is extremely broad. Are we talking enlisted service? Officer? Even if the latter, are you talking about paying for student loans or are you going career? Do you want be allowed to fly jets or drive tanks on a daily basis? You should probably think about your question some more.

Also
  • This question is extremely broad. Are we talking enlisted service? Officer? Even if the latter, are you talking about paying for student loans or are you going career? Do you want be allowed to fly jets or drive tanks on a daily basis? You should probably think about your question some more.

Also
    Alright, I'll narrow it down a bit more. When would enlisted military service in one of the major branches be useful? Is it useful for an average, middle-class kid? Are there real values that being in military service has outside of the ones mentioned above?

I've thought about military service a lot, probably far more than an average person, since I deal with a lot of ex-military and current military people on a semi-daily basis. As well, when I was growing up the military was always an option I was looking into, even when I was in college. So I'm probably just not defining the question properly or explaining my view succinctly.

Basically I'm hoping to get a discussion going about when military service is valuable. Right now it's looking like the main times people go into it are when they have no other option or when they are really "gung-ho" about being in the Military (ie. driving tanks and shooting M-16s).

Funny you should mention flying jets, as that is one of the few professions I know where military service is incredibly valuable. If you can manage to make the cut and get into the seat of any military aircraft as a pilot, you gain huge amounts of experience that will easily land you a good job outside of the military world. As well, with pilots being officers they tend to draw decent pay, housing allowance, benefits, and are usually held to a different standard of conduct.

The reason I made the post stems from something on Facebook that someone said, that he wanted everyone to have to go into the Marines. Does anyone here think that's a good idea? If so, why?

What about places like Israel that do have mandatory military service? Does anyone have any information about how that has impacted people's lives?

As well, we have a pretty diverse (geographically) group of people. Churbs, what do people around you think about military service?
  • Let's see:

Exposure to people outside of your own socio-economic background.
    Physical fitness.
    Personal responsibility.
    Learn a trade/skill.
    See the world on the cheap.

Like most things military life will amplify who you already are. If you are a dumbass military life can make you more of a dumbass. However, if you are a good person in a bad situation the military can set you free.
  • Let's see:

Exposure to people outside of your own socio-economic background.
    Physical fitness.
    Personal responsibility.
    Learn a trade/skill
    See the world on the cheap.

Like most things military life will amplify who you already are. If you are a dumbass military life can make you more of a dumbass. However, if you are a good person in a bad situation the military can set you free.
    What skills/trades do you learn as an enlisted person that are applicable outside of the military? From what I understand, if you work on repairing tank engines you're not really learning a lot of concepts of engine design or mechanics, but mostly you're trained to do your specific job. That doesn't mean you can come out and become a mechanic without further training.

Personal responsibility is iffy, as you said it will simply amplify who you already are (much like anything else you do in life that is a growing experience..). If you're personally irresponsible you'll come out just as irresponsible.

Physical fitness is something I think the Marines would do, and probably the Army, however I have seen my share of overweight Air Force and Navy dudes.

Do you really get to see the world on the cheap? Or do you get to see the same sort of military town replicated throughout various ecosystems? You get to see a shitty military town in a desert, or a shitty military town in a temperate ecosystem.

I will absolutely agree that you will be exposed to people outside your socio-economic group. That is a definite bonus, but I can think of other ways to get that too without having to risk your life (as much). Like the Peace Corps, volunteering for some sort of foreign aid mission, or even some religious missions.
  • Well, one thing that military service does provide is access to the GI Bill, which can help you pay for college if you got no other way to do so.

As far as a skill you learn in the military that's applicable outside the military, there is learning to fly an airplane (though this is isolated only to officers and not enlisted people) if you meet the qualifications. For enlisted people, you can learn to be an airplane mechanic. The basics of jet engines are the same whether or not it's in a fighter jet or an airliner.

Finally, if you get accepted to the military academies, which are all top-notch universities, you get free tuition, room, board, and even a small cash stipend, though you have to also spend a certain amount of time serving after graduation. However, you would be serving as an officer, which is a nicer role than that of your average grunt.
  • You also get Veterans Benefits. There are some really good things Veterans can get along with the GI Bill, health benefits, disability benefits, VA Home Loans, dependent benefits, preference on certain government jobs, etc...
  • As far as a skill you learn in the military that's applicable outside the military, there is learning to fly an airplane (though this is isolated only to officers and not enlisted people) if you meet the qualifications. For enlisted people, you can learn to be an airplane mechanic. The basics of jet engines are the same whether or not it's in a fighter jet or an airliner.
    That makes a lot of sense, I've also heard that the signal corps is a good unit to be in nowadays since it's mostly computer networking stuff, and that definitely transfers.

• Well, one thing that military service does provide is access to the GI Bill, which can help you pay for college if you got no other way to do so.
    You also need to remember that the military will pay your student loans if you enlist after you have gone to college.
    You also need to remember that the military will pay your student loans if you enlist after you have gone to college.
    They will? In full?

So what I'm understanding is that if you go in as a douchebag you'll come as a douchebag but possibly with job skills. Otherwise, as a calculated career choice it may not be a Terrible Life Decision as there are a lot of bonuses that are hard to match outside military service (vet benefits, GI bill, the ability to kill another human being).

• I'm not sure vets would consider "the ability to kill another human being" a bonus. I'm fairly sure most wouldn't, in fact, but don't quote me on it.

It's a necessary part of their job, but not one that is looked upon as some gift. The Army takes careful steps to ensure it's not recruiting people who actively enjoy killing.
  • I'm not sure vets would consider "the ability to kill another human being" a bonus. I'm fairly sure most wouldn't, in fact, but don't quote me on it.

It's a necessary part of their job, but not one that is looked upon as some gift. The Army takes careful steps to ensure it's not recruiting people who actively enjoy killing.
    Yes but it is hard to get in the private sector. I haven't seen a contract with it (I was kidding, I doubt we really have many people who really enjoy killing in the military).
  • edited January 2012
    I'm not sure vets would consider "the ability to kill another human being" a bonus. I'm fairly sure most wouldn't, in fact, but don't quote me on it.

Yes but it is hard to get in the private sector. I haven't seen a contract with it (I was kidding, I doubt we really have many people who really enjoy killing in the military).
    Oh, I'm sure you can find a job with the ability to kill another human as a bonus in the private sector... Just not the legal private sector. :)
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • edited January 2012
    Sure it's in the legal private sector. It's the legal private sector of contractors and mercenaries sent to foreign countries where it's legal. Alternatively, private body guards, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to spend more time in Afghanistan.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Ah, forgot those, although most of those positions tend to be ex-military.
  • Wow.

I guess I'll try not to take a lot of this personally considering I'm former active duty and working on my application for a commission in the reserves as an Information Warfare officer.

First of all, KNOW WHAT THE FUCK you are getting into. UNDERSTAND that no one must live with the decisions you make for yourself for the rest of your life but you. RESEARCH the best fitting options for you and what you want to accomplish in your life. DON'T DO IT solely for the benefits or if you are trying to finish a bachelor's degree while enlisted and active duty.

That being said, being in the military can be a very rewarding experience. There is a certain mindset that lends itself to success in the military. You must understand that every good leader is also a good follower. Understand that you must strike a balance between conformity and authenticity to be successful. You need to be able to take direction and give it.

Personally my military experience has been very useful to me. I have a ton of "Domain" knowledge regarding Intel systems and DoD policy that makes me very competitive as a software engineer for a major defense contractor. There are a ton of other personality modifications that most people end up absorbing that can very positive for their careers. Not all do though...

Either way its what you make it. If you make it the worst decision in your life then it will be that.

and yeah... we don't want psychopaths so get take hike if want to kill people.
  • Wow.

I guess I'll try not to take a lot of this personally considering I'm former active duty and working on my application for a commission in the reserves as an Information Warfare officer.

First of all, KNOW WHAT THE FUCK you are getting into. UNDERSTAND that no one must live with the decisions you make for yourself for the rest of your life but you. RESEARCH the best fitting options for you and what you want to accomplish in your life. DON'T DO IT solely for the benefits or if you are trying to finish a bachelor's degree while enlisted and active duty.

That being said, being in the military can be a very rewarding experience. There is a certain mindset that lends itself to success in the military. You must understand that every good leader is also a good follower. Understand that you must strike a balance between conformity and authenticity to be successful. You need to be able to take direction and give it.

Personally my military experience has been very useful to me. I have a ton of "Domain" knowledge regarding Intel systems and DoD policy that makes me very competitive as a software engineer for a major defense contractor. There are a ton of other personality modifications that most people end up absorbing that can very positive for their careers. Not all do though...

Either way its what you make it. If you make it the worst decision in your life then it will be that.

and yeah... we don't want psychopaths so get take hike if want to kill people.
    Excellently said. I'm glad you didn't take it personally, as your experience speaks volumes and I'm glad to have it. The discussion has definitely given me stuff to think about, although I am pretty sure that nothing that has been said is incredibly surprising - mostly it seems like any other major life event it can go several directions based on what you put into it and how much careful thought goes into it beforehand.

I think generally what has given me a bad opinion is that many of the people I know who went into it didn't put any thought into it (or very little) and thus didn't get a whole lot out.
  • edited January 2012
    What skills/trades do you learn as an enlisted person that are applicable outside of the military? From what I understand, if you work on repairing tank engines you're not really learning a lot of concepts of engine design or mechanics, but mostly you're trained to do your specific job. That doesn't mean you can come out and become a mechanic without further training.
    Sure, there are specific jobs, but they're few and far between - even the tank mechanic role you mentioned, you learn about electronic and mechanical systems, use of test equipment, schematics, on-the-job skills like fabrication and tool use, welding, so on - all of which can translate into quite a few civilian jobs, if you're got the smarts to get what you know down on paper, or take the short leaps to get certified.

Think - for every pair of boots marching into combat, the US army has seven soldiers who are strictly support soldiers. Everything from cooks, to clerks, to cleaners, armorers, mechanics of every stripe, doctors, nurses, mental health professionals, all sorts of shit, and a hell of a lot of it translates into civilian life, nowdays - the Military has put a lot of consideration over the years into what happens to people after they finish their service.

Join the navy as a cook? You'll come out a well-trained, disciplined, and if you'll pardon the pun, seasoned chef, able to take your choice of gigs. Motor pool Mechanic? Once again, highly sought after in the trade. Armorer? You'll have gun-shops kicking down your doors. To employ you, not just for the fun of it. And so on, so fourth, with most trades within the army. If your trade is a purely combat role, that is when you have to stop and consider your future prospects - they're a lot thinner on the ground than if you step out with a Trade cert or a degree.

I'm not talking up the forces, mind. I'm just giving you the best information I can, so you can make the best decision you can, for you.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You people are hard to start a flamewar with. I put forth a curiosity of mine an end up with a more rounded and better opinion.
  • My father was in Army Airborne (not sure what he did exactly, can't tell me etc.) for 16 years, and retired when Clinton was in office. When he got out the Army (directly) helped him get a job with SBC (now AT&T) which has turned into a career (he's pretty far up the ladder in Michigan AFAIK). He has had no college education, so I'd say his service is probably valuable to him.
  • edited January 2012
    Your dad's military service mirrors mine.

Wouldn't it be funny if I served with him?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Join the navy as a cook? You'll come out a well-trained, disciplined, and if you'll pardon the pun, seasoned chef, able to take your choice of gigs. Motor pool Mechanic? Once again, highly sought after in the trade. Armorer? You'll have gun-shops kicking down your doors. To employ you, not just for the fun of it. And so on, so fourth, with most trades within the army. If your trade is a purely combat role, that is when you have to stop and consider your future prospects - they're a lot thinner on the ground than if you step out with a Trade cert or a degree.

I'm not talking up the forces, mind. I'm just giving you the best information I can, so you can make the best decision you can, for you.
    By the way, that really lays it out well. Thanks for the information. I'm not remotely considering the military as a career option this late in the game, but it's good to be able to give good solid advice to anyone who might ask me for my opinion.
  • If you want a flame war, we might try talking about whether military servicemen and servicewomen really "serve their country" in any beneficial way, or whether they simply serve political agendas.

• By the way, that really lays it out well. Thanks for the information. I'm not remotely considering the military as a career option this late in the game, but it's good to be able to give good solid advice to anyone who might ask me for my opinion.
    That's good, at least. I forgot to mention my cousin, also - I can't remember his precise job role, but it was something to do with systems engineering and remote control - now, he earns more money than croseus, because he stepped right out of the navy, and into a job on the oil rigs piloting and working on ROVs - even with the more esoteric service roles, you can often find jobs using those skills in the civilian sector.

• If your trade is a purely combat role, that is when you have to stop and consider your future prospects - they're a lot thinner on the ground than if you step out with a Trade cert or a degree.
    Chances are that this kind of experience would be looked upon favorably if someone was considering a career in law enforcement.
  • If you become a drone controller you are essentially playing a video game with real world consequences.
  • If you become a drone controller you are essentially playing a video game with real world consequences.
    I actually saw a really fascinating documentary a while ago about drone controllers, and the psychology behind them. It was really very interesting, and IIRC, wasn't biased one way or another. I wish I could find it..

So you could say that it is like...Half Life Full Life Consequences...YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
  • Don't forget the pension and long term veterans health benefits.
  • I hear the veterans' health benefits aren't that great from my in-laws (my father-in-law is a retired Air Force Major). They like having them as a safety net in case they lose their other health benefits, but they still prefer the options they've gotten from other employers.
  • edited January 2012
    long term veterans health benefits.
    Aren't some people arguing for free health care for everyone, wouldn't that make this moot.
    Post edited by highdefinition on