This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Military service - when is it valuable?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2012
    long term veterans health benefits.
    Aren't most people arguing for free health care for everyone, wouldn't that make this moot.
    Yes, with better healthcare that was more easily obtainable this would cease to be an invaluable benefit of the military. However, we don't have easily obtainable and affordable healthcare now so it is.

That's why I'm curious as to how it's viewed in other countries. Particularly in places like France or England where healthcare is viewed more like a basic right rather than a benefit or privilege.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • I really don't have a whole lot to add that hasn't already been said, except that certain military occupational specialties can allow the servicemember access to government security clearences. In the private sector, getting a clearence can take a substantial amount of time and many thousands of dollars. When you leave the military, that clearence can be used to make you more competetive for government jobs and contractor careers that may require them.

This alone would not be reason enough to join in my opinion, but it does add to it.

On the same note, pretty much any specialty in the intelligence field can be solid gold after you get out.
  • On the same note, pretty much any specialty in the intelligence field can be solid gold after you get out.
    Unfortunately, there are some caveats to that as well -- when your intelligence contractor's firm has to renegotiate its contracts with the DoD, your job could be in a precarious position if new contracts aren't accepted.
  • That is a consideration, especially given the budget woes we have been facing. Job security in the private sector will always be an issue, though. This just affords a few more opportunities, some of which may have some very lucrative potentiality.
  • The thing is, most of the intelligence jobs tend to be in the private sector, albeit with government contractors. Now, if you can get an intelligence job with the DoD itself, for example, then you at least avoid dealing with contract renewals.