This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steam Mobile App

edited January 2012 in Video Games
Don't think this fits into any thread we already have. There is now an official Steam app available for iOS and Android.

Comments

• Do steam games work on iOS or is this just a sign of things to come?
  • Just tried to use it. Apparently you need to be invited to some beta.
  • And what the fuck would I do with such a thing?
  • Coming this summer, Team Fortress 2: iPad Edition.
  • Puzzle games. I have much interest.
  • Guys, I don't think it lets you play games. I think it just lets you steam chat, see what your friends are playing, check your hats, and buy games to play when you get home.
  • Probably steam forums, access to your profile, maybe purchasing of games as in app purchases.

However, I am willing to bet $2 that there will never be a third party app that lets you install fourth party games onto an iPhone.

The only way around the app store is to have games that work in mobile Safari.
  • Probably steam forums, access to your profile, maybe purchasing of games as in app purchases.

However, I am willing to bet $2 that there will never be a third party app that lets you install fourth party games onto an iPhone.

They already have those. They just use the in-app purchases which give Apple a huge cut.
  • It's chat, browse, and shop for your main PC/Mac, from what I gather. Not actually a game store, which makes sense as it would be incredibly redundant.
  • Still it's an interesting idea. I'm not sure why it would be so much better than simply browsing to steampowered.biz or whatever, but it might turn out to be something neat.
  • edited January 2012
    Those of you that thought you were going to be able to play games on your phone with this app need to slow down for just one second and read this page:

http://store.steampowered.com/mobile
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Yeah, I read it. But there are the possibilities. Also good for signing in to make sure people aren't fucking with your account.
  • Find out what your friends are playing all the time.
  • edited January 2012

They already have those. They just use the in-app purchases which give Apple a huge cut.
    That is not "getting around the app store". Also, all such "installs" have to go through the app store approval process, meaning that they are not really fourth party* games.

*Where by fourth party I am trying to differentiate between third parties working within Apple's rules and some possible fourth party app developer who never has to talk to Apple and who's code Apple will never see.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Those of you that thought you were going to be able to play games on your phone with this app need to slow down for just one second and read this page:

http://store.steampowered.com/mobile
    Because programs never get repurposed and given additional functions after release, right?

• However, I am willing to bet $2 that there will never be a third party app that lets you install fourth party games onto an iPhone.
    AHA but what about fourth party apps that allow you to install fifth party games. Hmmmmmm?!?!?!?!?

• edited January 2012
    Find out what your friends are playing all the time.
    Thank goodness, now I can game stalk my friends while I'm on the metro. Wait, I can't do that cause I drive a damn car to work like the rest of the country. >_>

This is seriously a pretty worthless thing.
    Post edited by George Patches on

Technically the OnLive player for iOS will allow this, I say technically cause it's a game streaming service so there's no actual installation. And afaik, because of their strict 30% IAP profit policy, you won't actually be able to purchase the games from the iOS device; you'll need to do that from a computer.
  • The ridiculous incompatibility messages I get from android market on my Galaxy Tab P1000M are really pissing me off. It runs 2.3.3 and all the apps it says it's incompatible with if I manage to get the apk elsewhere.
  • Oh, just what I needed - the ability to buy Steam games at any time.

Fuck you, Valve.
  • I can almost garuntee that you won't be able to do that. Apple will want 30% of all in-app purchase.

For example, you used to be able to buy Audible audiobooks from the Audible iPhone app, but they removed that feature, and now you have to purchase via Safari, and then refresh your audible library from inside that app.
  • Oh, just what I needed - the ability to buy Steam games at any time.

Fuck you, Valve.
    Hey, I missed the sale on Metro 2033 because of that! I had to pay €7,50 more!
  • edited January 2012
    I can almost guarantee that you won't be able to do that. Apple will want 30% of all in-app purchase.
    The website does only mention only browsing, and does not mention purchasing at all.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • Because I totally can't log on to their website on my phone and buy games that way :P
  • Yeah, that's exactly what the audible app tells you to do too. It even has a link to the website where you can do it, AND offers to put a bookmark on your home screen so you can do it easily.

• Because I totally can't log on to their website on my phone and buy games that way :P
    The website doesn't have a mobile version, making it a pain in the ass to use. I hope they fix this soon.
  • edited January 2012
    Because I totally can't log on to their website on my phone and buy games that way :P
    The website doesn't have a mobile version, making it a pain in the ass to use. I hope they fix this soon.
    Yeah. The autoplaying trailers aren't good on a capped mobile data connection.

Post edited by Pegu on
  • Steam Chat (which is how I get in touch with a couple of people) is not supported by Trillian, so this is slightly useful to me.
  • I've actually not had any problems buying steam games through the full website on the iPhone. Am I just that numb to the inconvenience? Or do I have really tiny fingers?

BTW saw some tweets by Chris Grant that said you can check a beta box in the actual Steam client, and in a few hours, your account will be allowed to log in via the app.
  • I've actually not had any problems buying steam games through the full website on the iPhone. Am I just that numb to the inconvenience? Or do I have really tiny fingers?
    It's totally possible, it's just a lot less than ideal. I've done it too.