This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2012: Bobcats To The Front Of The Line

Comments

• I think we should all ban together and try to help each other get tickets. I would be willing to try to buy extra (if I'm one of the lucky ones) and then get paid back (at normal price) by the unlucky ones.
    I was barely trying this year b/c I am almost definitely not going anyway. I am not crying because I didn't care enough to make it a priority. But when East comes around? You bet your ass I'll be putting 5 in my cart.

• Actually, I sometimes wonder if the Scott approach to not beating around the bush is the right way to go. I'm sure, like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but Jeff Atwood might be on Scott's side.
    I consider myself 100% honest. I never lie. But at the same time I do hold my tongue on occasion. I do not always say every single thing that I am thinking, though I often do.

There are people that are way more crazy than me. This guy in particular fascinates me.

http://www.esquire.com/features/honesty0707
  • Sure, it's fine to be candid and direct with people, but you still have to be tactful about it. The message isn't necessarily the issue, it's the delivery.
  • Scott knows all that stuff already. He just doesn't care. He has no time for your petty "feelings."
    If someone does not heed a repeated and serious warning, perhaps they deserve to have their feelings, or other things, hurt. Maybe it will help them. They didn't learn a lesson the easy way, so maybe they are only good at learning lessons the hard way.
    Scott, I meant more of your general demeanor. You are very blunt and straightforward. It is the reason Rym constantly has to tell people you don't hate them at cons. It's just how you communicate.

It was actually hilarious and refreshing to see you and my Mom going at it on the supernatural belief thing... most people just tiptoe around it, but you were like "How you see this Mormon stuff is how I see YOUR beliefs!" Not everybody responds well to that kind of blunt and open communication.
    Sometimes people need to be raked over some coals. Someone's gotta be the rake.

Also, that reminds me, your mom still never paid me for those tickets.
    I just imagined Scott as a Rake, and it was pretty funny.
  • Actually, I sometimes wonder if the Scott approach to not beating around the bush is the right way to go. I'm sure, like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but Jeff Atwood might be on Scott's side.
    Yes. Most people should be more honest and forthcoming than they are. Last time I was hired for a FT job, my new boss told me they "appreciated my candor" in the interview. People can tell when you have an ulterior motive or are being vague! Sometimes people just need to hear the truth, and it makes communication a lot easier when you just come out and say what needs to be said.

There are also some times where being bluntly honest is needlessly hurtful. I have done it a few times myself, mostly when I am overwhelmed or fed up.
  • Scott knows all that stuff already. He just doesn't care. He has no time for your petty "feelings."
    If someone does not heed a repeated and serious warning, perhaps they deserve to have their feelings, or other things, hurt. Maybe it will help them. They didn't learn a lesson the easy way, so maybe they are only good at learning lessons the hard way.
    Scott, I meant more of your general demeanor. You are very blunt and straightforward. It is the reason Rym constantly has to tell people you don't hate them at cons. It's just how you communicate.

It was actually hilarious and refreshing to see you and my Mom going at it on the supernatural belief thing... most people just tiptoe around it, but you were like "How you see this Mormon stuff is how I see YOUR beliefs!" Not everybody responds well to that kind of blunt and open communication.
    Sometimes people need to be raked over some coals. Someone's gotta be the rake.

Also, that reminds me, your mom still never paid me for those tickets.
    I just imagined Scott as a Rake, and it was pretty funny.
    Yes Ted, that was the joke.
  • I suggest we all stop holding in farts as well. If you've got to toot, let it loose.
  • I suggest we all stop holding in farts as well. If you've got to toot, let it loose.
    Wait, people do that? Seems unhealthy.

• I didn't realize how disturbing this was until I made it

• I think the Scott way is right 80% of the time. I honestly wish I had the confidence to act more like Scott when its needed, rather than being needlessly passive and wishy-washy.
    its the other 20% of the time when it blows up hilariously.

• I think we should all ban together and try to help each other get tickets. I would be willing to try to buy extra (if I'm one of the lucky ones) and then get paid back (at normal price) by the unlucky ones.
    We did that every year for Otakon's Artist Alley (which sells out basically instantaneously). One year, it got us eleven tables, which we allocated to people who needed/deserved them. ;^)
  • I think the Scott way is right 80% of the time. I honestly wish I had the confidence to act more like Scott when its needed, rather than being needlessly passive and wishy-washy.
    Of that "20%" of the time that shit blows up because of it, "80%" of that shit was going to blow up anyway, and often it is the case that you may as well have shit blow up early if it's going to blow up at all. I think what's important is having some integrity and tact about it at all times, and knowing when and when not to hammer on something. The problem here has had nothing to do with the premises of Scott's perspective (he's right, oh noes!), just with the way he chooses to hammer on something.

From my perspective, you should always ask "Why I do thing" and "Why you do thing" about anything. So the question here is "Why does Scott keep harping on thing? Why do we keep baiting him again?"

And don't fret being indifferent or ambivalent if you are not genuinely convinced of a thing. That's a totally valid perspective. Just know how to communicate where you're at and why you're there. Shit's complicated, and often the most zealous are simplifying the moving parts so they can rationalize the situation. And sometimes that's also a damn fine thing to do. But you have to recognize there are applications for either perspective.
  • edited May 2012
    From my perspective, you should always ask "Why I do thing" and "Why you do thing" about anything. So the question here is "Why does Scott keep harping on thing? Why do we keep baiting him again?"
    I'm guessing 50% amusement, 25% because if he was wrong the first time, it's not any more correct when he repeated it, and you might succeed in convincing him to change his opinion(unlikely), and 25% because most people here don't mind a silly argument for laughs.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm guessing 50% amusement, 25% because if he was wrong the first time, it's not any more correct when he repeated it, and you might succeed in convincing him to change his opinion, and 25% because most people here don't mind a silly argument for laughs.
    Sounds approximately right for all things on the internet.

• Also, I'm not gloating at all. If you think I'm saying "I have a badge, and you don't, nya nya nya!" then you are wrong. I would never say something like that.
    From where I'm sitting, it seems like you're saying something like that. If you say you're not, that's cool. Just over here, on this side of the screen, you're coming off like a total dick.

There's a quote that goes like this: “Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”

In life, we see someone like Scott, who is almost completely socially inept when it comes to interactions on the internet, and is continually abrasive, and repeatedly insensitive to the feelings of other people. Which is his right.

But when someone needs to be raked over the coals, the person to do it most effectively isn't the person who lacks tact, it's the person who is usually seen to be the most engaging and approachable person around. When that person rakes you over the coals, it really means something, rather than the guy who is usually "misunderstood" and being an asshole crossing the line to intentionally be an asshole.

The person whom that quote is usually attributed to is, of course, Dalai Lama.
    Try getting laid.
  • My track record on that is probably worse than Scott's, if you can believe that.
  • edited May 2012
    @Rym it occurs to me that last year you said you were willing to enforce for a badge. Is that not true this year, supposing you don't get to present? Or do you only want to enforce for east?
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • My track record on that is probably worse than Scott's, if you can believe that.
    No, I'm pretty sure on that track "as bad as Scott" is as far down as you can go.
  • Love Gabe's post and tweet about PAX selling out:

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/05/04/pax15

cwgabriel ‏ @cwgabriel

my post about PAX selling out so fast. http://penny-arcade.com/2012/05/04/pax15 TLDR: I am very sorry.
  • A nice summary. And somewhat more tactful than "We told you so for all eternity! Why u no listen?!"

So prior to someone mentioning it (I think Rym?) I was unaware there is a 5-badge max on purchases. That seems like a good way of preventing large-scale scalping, so I am down with it.

I think it eventually all comes down to PAX is a desirable experience. There is more demand than supply. Instead of scaling up shittily, they will wait til they are ready and simply limit attendance until then.
    No, I'm pretty sure on that track "as bad as Scott" is as far down as you can go.
    Scott has fangirls. I do not.
    Well obviously you need to get out there and do some creative, entertaining shit on the internet.

Never has that helped.
  • You've had to actively scare them off Scott....
    Never has that helped.
    I could set you up with several girls if you moved to Massachusetts and became a lesbian.
  • Brotip: It's called moving to North Hampton.
  • What's the likelihood that PAX Prime could move to a larger venue (eg., LACC), especially given this year's super-fast sellout? I think I remember some rumor it might move, but I dunno if that's now a pertinent conversation.
  • The probability of them moving away from Seattle is, for all intents and purposes, nill. They're based in Seattle, most of the Enforcers are based in Seattle, and the con has really grown up in Seattle. It's a possibility, but far from a likelihood.
  • Gabe: 'Well we’re working on that. Could we make a third PAX? Possibly. Have we talked about moving the show? Yes. Have we talked about extending it out into monday? Absolutely. Does any of that help you this year? Sadly no and I’m really sorry. Trust me when I tell you that our goal is to make it so that everyone who wants to go to a PAX can go to a PAX."