This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Endless Space: The game: The thread.

13»

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Fun fact: EU3 is not turn based.
    Grand Strategy, hush. As if the peasants would know the difference. Give them their internet and computers.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • You'll wanna talk to grey on that score, dude has more time in Turn-based strategy than any of the breakfast club...
    Fact: Grey's EU3 log time makes him an honorary Holy Roman Emperor.

Bow down before your sovereign, mortals.
    Fact: The logged time is but a fraction of his actual time spent with just EU3. Now he also has Crusader Kings 2. His brains, of which he has three, are probably turn-based by now.
    Fun fact: EU3 is not turn based.

I've played EU3; I'm aware. My point is that Grey is a master strategist, a true Sun Tzu of the digital word.

• Well I wouldn't call myself a master strategist, for example, I have yet to get the Three Mountains achievement in EU3. I know a thing or two though, so if you have any questions, there's a good chance I know the answer .
  • I need to try some more races. Once I figured out the empire I've played them a couple time. Most recently tried 8 races in a very very small galaxy. Instant war. Actually was a bit more fun this way. Already wiped out two races. Working on the ones outside of my wormhole next. It makes the techs more interesting at least, each little upgrade is a big deal.

That said, I wonder if this game will get a bit boring pretty quickly with all the tech trees being 90% the same and such.
  • I need to try some more races. Once I figured out the empire I've played them a couple time. Most recently tried 8 races in a very very small galaxy. Instant war. Actually was a bit more fun this way. Already wiped out two races. Working on the ones outside of my wormhole next. It makes the techs more interesting at least, each little upgrade is a big deal.
    Try the pilgrims next, they're like a empire-sophon cross, so it's an easy transition from either direction. And their Fleet Errant move is TOTALLY SWEET, and I really under-utilized it last game.

• man, I've been attempting to play a few games of this, but I feel like I have no idea what is going on in the Science trees and production lines. I got the fleet designs and exploring and basic economy down.. (wish I had a manual to read :-p)
  • edited June 2012
    man, I've been attempting to play a few games of this, but I feel like I have no idea what is going on in the Science trees and production lines. I got the fleet designs and exploring and basic economy down.. (wish I had a manual to read :-p)
    It's not so bad - Production lines, in the order you click, shit shows up. Click and drag to move stuff up and down the line. The little number on the right side shows how many turns till it's done(and tidily, it factors in how long it will take to build things ahead of it) and the gold circle is the button to buy out the construction, and have it finished next turn at the cost of dust. Hovering over a building card will pop up the info box for that building.

Science trees, as you already know, is (going clockwise from top)Military, Science, Colonialism(or something, basically, terraforming, different ship hulls, colony types, moon exploration etc, etc) and diplomacy, which shares both extra benefits for your colonies, as well as bonuses to your heroes, fleets, and worlds, and of course, extra diplomatic options. Further up the tree, the more it costs, obviously.

With that, the green one with the pulsing circles, that's the one under current research. Hold left-shift and click on the yellow circles, and you can set up your research queue. Blue ones, you already have. Zooming right in will tell you the specific bonuses or tech you get from any particular research, and how long it will take with the amount of research points you generate per turn, which is at the top of the info box at bottom left. Research focus should vary from race to race.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • yea I get that, it's the science to what it actually does. For example, I wanted to get more then a "declare war" with an alien race, so I figured I'd have to research a tech to get more options, I couldn't figure out if there was a tech that would give me more diplomatic options easily.
  • yea I get that, it's the science to what it actually does. For example, I wanted to get more then a "declare war" with an alien race, so I figured I'd have to research a tech to get more options, I couldn't figure out if there was a tech that would give me more diplomatic options easily.
    In that case, there is a helpful tip in there - Zoom in, and it will show you what you get for each tech, and hover over the icons it shows you to get the info card.

The one you're looking for is called relativistic markets, three up the tech tree on the diplomatic side.

The best way to narrow down and search quickly by glance, zoom in, and on the right corner of each icon(the little info ones you can hover on, the techs you get from each research level) it has a little coloured corner - Red for millitary, Blue for science, gold for dust, grey for diplomacy. Some are blank, but they stand alone.

• Playing a lot of Endless space, on Normal, still working out the mix of economics to make my pilgrims work right.
  • So can anyone explain what Endless Space is? It looks intriguing, but I have no idea how it really works, or if it is worth the (seemingly) steep learning curve. Is it like Civilization, but in space?
  • edited June 2012
    It's like Master of Orion, streamlined slightly with a really great user interface.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Pretty much.

• Do we want to get a forum game of this going sometime soon?
  • Of course.
  • Not this weekend, but maybe sometime during the week anyone have good nights (eastern time) they might want to play?
  • edited June 2012
    I will play Slowers and do my race honour. We will be slow.Just kidding, I don't play Slowers, Grey does.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Dibs on Amoeba!
  • PILGRIMS! OR I WILL EAT ALL YOUR FUCKING PLANETS!
  • I still dislike how things can desynch.