This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• Picked up a load more of the Discworld books, Im slowly getting the whole collection. Also finally got a USB headset so I can do some recording and talk on them video games.
  • Minecraft on Xbox 360 arcade.
    Is pretty fun, if I had live I would get in with you.

I spawned right next to a village. I took the blacksmith's shop. I think it also tried to spawn a ravine under the village but that didn't pan out.
  • Picked up the most recent Brom book (Krampus: The Yule Lord), Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 and pre-ordered God of War: Ascension. My wife will not let me watch The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 without her so I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to see it.

I spawned right next to a village. I took the blacksmith's shop. I think it also tried to spawn a ravine under the village but that didn't pan out.
    I built a tower of skulls so I could see what was going on and then set everything on fire. The Villagers know to fear me.
  • Also picked up a smart dinner jacket for £19 down from £69, got a shirt for £10. So now I look like a classy hobo now.
  • A bunch of stuff for a baby... That stuff adds up! Fortunately, I think I only need a couple more things now...
  • A bunch of stuff for a baby... That stuff adds up! Fortunately, I think I only need a couple more things now...
    You can never have enough burp cloths for spit up or pee shields.
    You can never have enough burp cloths for spit up or pee shields.
    Indeed, but those are cheap, at least. We pretty much got all the big ticket items. I think all we need now is a second car seat mount, a bottle warmer, a bottle sterilizer, and a rocking chair. With luck, barring any odd change in safety codes between now and then, we will probably be able to reuse almost all the stuff we got if/when we have another kid.
  • Indeed, but those are cheap, at least. We pretty much got all the big ticket items. I think all we need now is a second car seat mount, a bottle warmer, a bottle sterilizer, and a rocking chair. With luck, barring any odd change in safety codes between now and then, we will probably be able to reuse almost all the stuff we got if/when we have another kid.
    You might not need a bottle warmer, especially if your wife is breastfeeding in the beginning. Our birth/breastfeeding classes taught us that to just warm up everything under a hot faucet. As for bottle sterilizer, some dishwashers have a sterilization cycle, or you can use something like this. Of course all the bottle stuff for us was almost a waste as our son refuses to take any bottles at all (so much for my husband helping out with feedings ;_;).
  • Two new tires. Next on the agenda is getting some more work done on my old beater.
  • edited February 2013
    Indeed, but those are cheap, at least. We pretty much got all the big ticket items. I think all we need now is a second car seat mount, a bottle warmer, a bottle sterilizer, and a rocking chair. With luck, barring any odd change in safety codes between now and then, we will probably be able to reuse almost all the stuff we got if/when we have another kid.
    You might not need a bottle warmer, especially if your wife is breastfeeding in the beginning. Our birth/breastfeeding classes taught us that to just warm up everything under a hot faucet. As for bottle sterilizer, some dishwashers have a sterilization cycle, or you can use something like this. Of course all the bottle stuff for us was almost a waste as our son refuses to take any bottles at all (so much for my husband helping out with feedings ;_;).
    I'll just leave this one here: the step-by-step guide to raising a good sleeper.

Also, if you want to read some child-raising advice that is backed by scientific study rather than the intuition of crazy people, I can definitely recommend Nurtureshock.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Considering babies put anything they can grab into their mouths, I find sterilizing their bottles to be dubiously useful. :P
  • I'll just leave this one here: the step-by-step guide to raising a good sleeper.

Did you actually try that? It's apparently somewhat controversial. Would be interested to know if it is bullshit or not, so it can be recommended for or against.
  • Why not just go to garage sales and get them cheap or craigslist, those places are lousy with baby stuff.
  • You might not need a bottle warmer, especially if your wife is breastfeeding in the beginning. Our birth/breastfeeding classes taught us that to just warm up everything under a hot faucet. As for bottle sterilizer, some dishwashers have a sterilization cycle, or you can use something like this. Of course all the bottle stuff for us was almost a waste as our son refuses to take any bottles at all (so much for my husband helping out with feedings ;_;).
    Yeah, we're waiting a bit on getting the warmer and other related paraphernalia until we know for sure how long my wife will be breastfeeding for, although we envision eventually doing a mix of breast and bottle feeding. However, the birthing class we took said that if you're breast feeding, you need to be breast-feeding exclusive for the first month and can't even use pacifiers, otherwise the baby may not breastfeed properly. When we get to the point when we need them, bottle sterilizers aren't too expensive. One that's compatible with the bottle set we purchased was about $25 on Amazon and has unlimited uses -- just put water and the bottles in it and microwave.
    Why not just go to garage sales and get them cheap or craigslist, those places are lousy with baby stuff.
    Depends on the baby stuff in question. Some of the older baby stuff no longer passes current safety codes. Cribs and car seats are among some of the most common examples I can think of off-hand.
  • edited February 2013
    I'll just leave this one here: the step-by-step guide to raising a good sleeper.
    Did you actually try that? It's apparently somewhat controversial. Would be interested to know if it is bullshit or not, so it can be recommended for or against.
    Oh I followed the 12-weeks/12-hours book to the letter and it worked perfectly. That specific plan is actually not very controversial (or at least I didn't see any controversy). There is plenty of controversy about just letting your kid cry and ignoring it in favor of sleep, that's not good, but that's not this specific plan.

The 12-weeks one in a nutshell is a strict feeding schedule that leads to the child gaining weight (as they are supposed to) and then weaning them off of that once they are big enough to sleep through the night without feeding. It can actually be a little bit more work those first few weeks, but it pays off. Babies are supposed to sleep 11-12 hours, it's not all horror stories like in the movies. That routine just makes sure it'll happen.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I think the controversy Scott mentioned is that babies are generally supposed to be fed on demand to thrive. Yes, every baby is different and some will take to scheduled feeds. In all the classes I took we were told to watch for feeding cues and feed accordingly, whether we did formula or breastfeeding. The reasons for this are infants stomachs are tiny and can only hold so much, and they may not be able to hold enough for a 12 hour stretch. And that's not even taking into account if the mother makes more foremilk than hindmilk or how calorie-rich her milk is to begin with.

Anyway, our best purchases for Max were the Swaddleme wraps. He'd hulk out of any blankets we'd swaddle him with and they'd make sure he didn't scratch himself awake at night. Tiny mittens for the first month or two were also awesome since cutting baby nails is a nightmare. I also really liked the diapers that had a line that changed color when he peed. It was much easier to just look at him napping and see he was clean rather than risk waking him up by touching him to check.
  • I think the controversy Scott mentioned is that babies are generally supposed to be fed on demand to thrive. Yes, every baby is different and some will take to scheduled feeds. In all the classes I took we were told to watch for feeding cues and feed accordingly, whether we did formula or breastfeeding. The reasons for this are infants stomachs are tiny and can only hold so much, and they may not be able to hold enough for a 12 hour stretch. And that's not even taking into account if the mother makes more foremilk than hindmilk or how calorie-rich her milk is to begin with.
    The advice I got for helping the baby get on a regular schedule came from the nurse who taught our birthing class. Not only did she have 28 years as a maternity nurse, she also was a mother herself, so it's pretty safe to assume she knew her stuff based on her experience. Essentially, the whole trick is you keep feeding the baby on the regular schedule (every 2 hours or so) for the first couple months (afterwhich they've outgrown the need for the 24 hour feeding schedule), but what you do is limit playtime and interaction to the daylight hours, thereby starting to teach the baby that nighttime is for rest. Eventually, the baby will get with the program.
    Anyway, our best purchases for Max were the Swaddleme wraps. He'd hulk out of any blankets we'd swaddle him with and they'd make sure he didn't scratch himself awake at night. Tiny mittens for the first month or two were also awesome since cutting baby nails is a nightmare. I also really liked the diapers that had a line that changed color when he peed. It was much easier to just look at him napping and see he was clean rather than risk waking him up by touching him to check.
    My mom is an excellent sewer and has some leftover blanket material from stuff she made for my niece that she volunteered to sew into anything we want for my kid. We're going to ask her to make swaddling blankets out of them. My mom is also a great knitter and made mittens for the baby for the same exact reasons you mentioned. Oh, and yeah, the diapers we got (Huggies brand in this case) also included the "pee indicator line," although I don't know offhand if any other brands also have that feature.
  • Just for the record, the word is seamstress. Calling your mom a "sewer", excellent or otherwise, is generally regarded as not being very nice.
  • Seamstress implies garment modification, it's the female version of "tailor." The proper word would be something more general to refer to one who sews, but I don't know what it is.
  • I prefer Seamatrix.
  • Seamster?
  • I though he was calling her a sewer as in sanitation.
  • Merrian-Webster's Dictionary defines seamstress as "a woman whose occupation is sewing". It is distinct from "tailor" whose definition is "a person whose occupation is making or altering outer garments".

Also, a-herp-de-derp, he actually used the word sewer correctly. It's the second or third definition.
  • edited February 2013
    Ordered a shirt and some records from Andrew Jackson Jihad. First shipment came today.
    The things at the bottom are stickers they threw in at no extra charge (and not mentioned when I placed the order). Southwork did the same thing. I like this trend. They're insentivizing me to advertise for them by giving me free things.
    These are the stickers. They left a note on the back of one of them because they're awesome at customer relations.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Just for the record, the word is seamstress. Calling your mom a "sewer", excellent or otherwise, is generally regarded as not being very nice.
    Ah... good point... and bad brain fart on my part... Doh...

• Ordered the new original graphic novel Anomoly.
    Anomoly

Anomoly

It's huge and gorgeous (370 pages and is 15 x 1.5 x 15 inches!).

I'm really interested in seeing the integration of iOS devices into the story, which this comic is somewhat pioneering. "Anomaly is not just a book, but an interactive experience (although it reads just fine as a standalone book). Readers are invited to enhance their experiences with Ultimate Augmented Reality, an app that can be downloaded for free. Pages in the book that are "live" can then be scanned by the reader's mobile device, which makes objects on the page not only 3D, but also interactive...meaning readers can play along and take on some pretty cool monsters and machines on the pages."

• edited February 2013
    You might not need a bottle warmer, especially if your wife is breastfeeding in the beginning.
    Au Contraire, old chap.Just for the record, the word is seamstress. Calling your mom a "sewer", excellent or otherwise, is generally regarded as not being very nice.Not necessarily. My ma would wipe you out if you called her a Seamstress, she's a Dressmaker(or was, she's now an Embroiderer) and damned if you forget it. Conversely, people who make garments en masse are generally called Sewers, and the people who make one-off garments are known as either tailors or dressmakers, depending on which gender they specialize in, though both might provide tailoring services. I'm technically a digitizer and designer, but I'm hardly the best around, I'm competent at best. A Seamstress is what you call someone when they don't have a specialty career, or if they're not professional, generally, it's the catch-all - so while it wasn't incorrect, per se, it was also not the most correct.
    Post edited by Churba on