This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com

edited September 2012 in Everything Else
I know some of you are fans of this site or at least someone on the site. For those who don't know, it's a site of people reviewing media comically. It can vary between the more analytical approach to just plain ol' MST like riffing. They have people for film, gaming, comics, and music. They also make movies and miniseries using their characters.

My favorites on the site are Nostalgia Chick and Linkara. Nostalgia Chick reviews things with a analytical eye and a feminist stance while also putting funny skits in her reviews. Unfortunately, being a girl on the internet most of her comments for her and costars are "Derp derp boobs derp derp offesive comment."

Linkara review comics in a riffing style and also does storylines in his show. He's a super nerd with a morpher, a magic gun, a robot, pyramid head in a pokeball, a spaceship and several friends such as Snowflame, a 1940's crooner and a kid from the 90's. His storylines and reviewing style evolved a lot over time and got better. I think he's in his prime right now.

What actually got me into the site was the Team Brawl. I didn't know who anyone was in it, but I started watching due to it.
Post edited by Viga on

Comments

• edited September 2012
    You know this site used to be my jam for a significant amount of time, but a while back, probably around the time of Kickassia I could not muster up the energy for these people anymore. A couple of guys I still enjoy, Jew Wario being a consummate G even with a sort of stupid name, Rap Critic being pretty cool, and Brad Jones being the obviously best guy on the site. But either these guys stopped being funny to me or my tastes drastically changed. I suppose a lot of these guys just got too shouty for me.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • Agreed. I used to watch half the site, now I just watch NC, NChick, and Brows Held High.
  • Other than the two I mentioned, I mostly watch Brows Held High, Todd in the Shadows and Cinema Snob. I also like Music Movies and Jew Wario, but I let those episodes pile up and marathon them when I'm in the mood.
  • Brows Held High has its moments, but I seriously doubt Oancitizen's talent for film analysis.
  • At least the guy isn't yelling at you about how much the movies suck. That puts him above about a good quarter to half of the guys there. His Ghost Dog review wasn't half bad either, especially the white man rap at the end.
  • At least the guy isn't yelling at you about how much the movies suck. That puts him above about a good quarter to half of the guys there. His Ghost Dog review wasn't half bad either, especially the white man rap at the end.
    The yelling angry critic schtick grew stale with me. Linkara has that element, but he mixes it with great things to say about the comic he is reviewing and has those storylines. I think this is why it seems the NC as we know him is changing based on what we seen with his Scooby Doo review and the plot in To Boldly Flee. I think he is retiring the old schtick.

• Brows Held High has its moments, but I seriously doubt Oancitizen's talent for film analysis.
    He's validated the existence of A Serbian Film and The Idiots in the most eloquent and understanding way I've seen. That takes talent.

I grew into the website due to James Rolfe crossovers, and I'm pretty happy to have stuck with the website throughout the whole thing. I usually give anyone on that website a shot, but the people who I appreciate and rewatch the most are The Critic, Linkara, Todd, Oancitizen, and Bennett.

Even then, that's really hard to choose because I do love the talents of Brad Jones, JewWario, JesuOtaku, Paw, Angry Joe, and CR! (Who I really want to talk to, because he's also a fan of Spill.com) I even have a soft spot for Film Brain when he's reviewing the right movie like a bad action film or dreadful romantic comedy.

I think the key to being a good reviewer requires good writing, being passionate in front of the camera, and being articulate with your point of view. Some reviewers become too schitcky at times because they limit themselves to certain genres, but you can make each review watchable if you can present your point/rant in an interesting, new way. I think Nostalgia Critic can even review non-Nostalgic movies just because he gets that right amount of inspiration (Like with his Patch Adams Review)
  • edited September 2012
    Dude, his review of The Idiots is what makes me doubt him. There's a reason that was nominated for the Palm d'Or. There's a reason WR: Mysteries of the Organism is part of the Criterion Collection.

The issue I take with BHH is that people watch his reviews and think they know the fucking film, but that's bullshit. I mean, yeah, stuff like Ken Park and A Serbian Film is indescribable garbage, but a lot of what he reviews is actually some really groundbreaking experimental cinema that he mocks based on the notion that high-concept art is incomprehensible trash or purposefully obfuscated pretentious-for-pretentious's-sake art cinema. It's lazy, reductionist, crass faux-intellectualism, and you shouldn't apologize for that shit.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Crap. I forgot that I love CR as well. Sometimes you just want relaxed unabashed cartoon fanboyism.

Both Nuke and WUB make good points about BHH, but in the case of The Idiots he mocks it and then validates and complements it existence, so it isn't all bad or good or whatever you criteria is.
  • Dude, his review of The Idiots is what makes me doubt him. There's a reason that was nominated for the Palm d'Or. There's a reason WR: Mysteries of the Organism is part of the Criterion Collection.

The issue I take with BHH is that people watch his reviews and think they know the fucking film, but that's bullshit. I mean, yeah, stuff like Ken Park and A Serbian Film is indescribable garbage, but a lot of what he reviews is actually some really groundbreaking experimental cinema that he mocks based on the notion that high-concept art is incomprehensible trash or purposefully obfuscated pretentious-for-pretentious's-sake art cinema. It's lazy, reductionist, crass faux-intellectualism, and you shouldn't apologize for that shit.
    I think he is genuinely a fan of art cinema and not all of his videos are about mockery, it feels more like he's trying to convey to the viewers about the history and meaning of these films. That stuck out to me with his Miranda July videos, because while he criticizes the atmosphere and stylist choice of Me And You And Everyone We Know, he actually came around with a really clarified and refreshing opinion on The Future. Both of those are the definition of how we look at the modern independent movie genre, but the way he analyzes July and her evolution between both movies is fascinating.
    Crap. I forgot that I love CR as well.
    I have had real laugh-out-loud moments with some of his gags and cutaways. I think because he started purely as voice-over, he really had a knack for editing clips.
  • I'm stuck between two points, here. The man genuinely understands and appreciates film in many forms, including art cinema. He also has a persona that he uses, which requires certain things - Mockery for mockery's sake, and a certain level of layman-level interpretation of those films, playing some of it for laughs, and yeah, sometimes indulging in crass pseudo-intellectual wankery to pander to the viewer and make them feel smart, without really doing much to point them on that path.

The former, I respect. The latter, I despise.

That said, with all the series on TGWTG, I tend to ignore them for ages, then go back every six months or so and binge, picking out the ones that interest me. Then I forget about it for a while.

Other than that, I do read the webcomics(Treading ground - which finished - and Peached, which is on hiatus) that That Scifi Guy produces, but I don't think that really counts.
  • Haven't watched his Idiots review yet, but that's the sense I get of him too, Nuker. He is a true blue fan of art cinema and of most of the movies he reviews, and while he likes to point out things that are silly about them when taken out of context, it doesn't feel to me like "Ha ha I mock you, you pretentious piece of crap! Call me when you make sense!" It's usually a loving kind of mockery, and at worst, it's an actual indictment against what he views as flaws in the film, and either way, it's usually accompanied by some actual analysis and educational information to back it up. You may not agree with what he finds as flaws, but that doesn't make him wrong.

Plus, I also get the sense that lately he's been trying to infuse his reviews with more of that straight-up, honest analysis and less play-by-play "funny review" stuff anyway. So unless the Idiots review is way off-base from what he's been putting out lately, I feel like even if we agreed on his previous mockery being a bad thing, the worries about that side of things would be less justifiable as time goes on and his style evolves to incorporate more straightforward analysis.
  • Never bothered because I find The Nostalgia Critic to be painfully unfunny. Turned me off from the entire group.

Doug Walker seems like an alright guy himself, and the comunity certainly loves him. If he matured his schtick a bit, I might be willing to give it another go.
  • I am a huge fan of NC, NChick, Linkara, (Former member) Spoony, Paw, Todd, and JO. I occasionally dip into the others, but those are the big ones I think.
  • I'll admit that I never found any of them funny. (To be fair, the avgn isn't really that funny so much as informative about bad old games: the latter is why I watch his videos).
  • I'll admit that I never found any of them funny. (To be fair, the avgn isn't really that funny so much as informative about bad old games: the latter is why I watch his videos).
    I like Cinemassacre more than AVGN anyhow. That one video about that playground dinosaur thing from his childhood? Fucking beautiful.

• Their Ghostbusters shoot locations video was really good too.
  • Oh hey a topic I know about this. :D

Knowing what I know about the powers that. Be the site is nothing more then an amalgamation of people who produce content that frequently help each other for promotional purposes. I do have a spinoff marketing panel based on my experience there but I need a full keyboard to share it.

So watch the people that you like and be happy.
    I think you would like Jew Wario then. Just info and occassional joke about Japanese import games. It's called You Can Play This.
  • edited September 2012
    I'll admit that I never found any of them funny. (To be fair, the avgn isn't really that funny so much as informative about bad old games: the latter is why I watch his videos).
    If you're interested in the informative stuff, I think you should give Brows Held High a shot if you haven't already. All his videos contain interesting facts and analysis about various art films and their creators, and he has a comfortably mild brand of funny overall. At the very least, even if you don't find him funny, you'll be exposed to a bunch of really interesting and/or bizarre movies you might not have sought out or known about otherwise.

Check out the aforementioned video about The Future and see if it gels with you.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • At first, I only went to the site to watch Nostalgia Critic. Then I found out about Nostalgia Chick. I love this gal and I really wanna buy her a beer for how awesome she is.
  • She has really grown this year as a reviewer, at analyzing and being comedic. I consider from late 2011 to now her renaissance.
  • I may have seen a few videos from these people, but it wasn't enough to hook me in.

Nostalgia Chick seems interesting, due to the fact that she gives a feminist view. I may give it a go, but again it seems like more of a chore to consume this sort of media on reviews of media than actually consuming the media itself. Pretty much, I'd rather play video games or watch movies and come up with my own opinion and thoughts on it.
  • Oh man I know, right? I liked her decently when she started, then got progressively more frustrated that her videos were getting less focused (in topic and structure), and then dropped her entirely around the time of that whole Dark Nella crap. I assumed she now sucked until I went back a long while later on a whim and was like "Holy shit girl when did you get smart and funny and find your pacing skills again?" Now she's probably the producer I most look forward to seeing new videos from week to week. Loved her Charlie's Angels video recently.
  • edited September 2012
    EDIT: Oops, sorry for the double post.
    I may have seen a few videos from these people, but it wasn't enough to hook me in.

Nostalgia Chick seems interesting, due to the fact that she gives a feminist view. I may give it a go, but again it seems like more of a chore to consume this sort of media on reviews of media than actually consuming the media itself. Pretty much, I'd rather play video games or watch movies and come up with my own opinion and thoughts on it.
    Fair enough. I find it helpful for me to consume this type of media mainly because it helps me get the gist of a bunch of other media really quickly and pick out the things I want to experience in full from their recommendations. I have to watch a bunch of movies as a film major as it is, plus keep up with any new releases I find interesting, comics, anime, RP, Pokemon video games, and school work.

I simply don't have time to consume all the media I want, so I rely on these video producers to basically give me a more well-rounded media knowledge base than I would otherwise have time to build. The more entertainingly they do that for me, the easier that becomes.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • At first, I only went to the site to watch Nostalgia Critic. Then I found out about Nostalgia Chick. I love this gal and I really wanna buy her a beer for how awesome she is.
    She is open for any beer offerings, I know her crew will be at MAGfest if you wish to pass one her way.
  • Fair enough. I find it helpful for me to consume this type of media mainly because it helps me get the gist of a bunch of other media really quickly and pick out the things I want to experience in full from their recommendations. I have to watch a bunch of movies as a film major as it is, plus keep up with any new releases I find interesting, comics, anime, RP, Pokemon video games, and school work.

I simply don't have time to consume all the media I want, so I rely on these video producers to basically give me a more well-rounded media knowledge base than I would otherwise have time to build. The more entertainingly they do that for me, the easier that becomes.
    That's what this forum is to me. I get recommendations from various people here along with other friends.

• edited September 2012
    And if it works out for you, then all the better! Everyone's got their own ways of doing things; the forum and GeekNights itself help serve the same purpose for me a lot of the time too, so I get that. If you've tried them out and you've found you just don't like or need these kinds of review videos, you don't need 'em, so it's all good. :)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Critic/Chick/Todd/Paw/etc. have been my work soundtrack for months. They brighten every project for me.

Rym's just jealous, cuz that used to be Geeknights' job. ;]
  • When I get out of work I can do the idiot's guide to channel awesome and what each person does.