This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Book Club - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

124»

Comments

• But a book can foreshadow some things and red-herring other things, so it's a spoiler to say which is which.

Then again, the Name of the Wind is super heavy handed in its foreshadowing, to a fault. If I'm not as clever as Kvothe, how come I can see everything that happens to him coming from a mile off, and he's always ignorant and surprised?
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    If I'm not as clever as Kvothe, how come I can see everything that happens to him coming from a mile off, and he's always ignorant and surprised?

Summary of the Kingkiller Chronicles:

A perpetually ignorant and surprised nice-guy wunderkind gypsy street urchin kung-fu wizard has sex with everyone except the hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold he likes...

...IN WIZARD SCHOOL.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It's not a spoiler if the work itself foreshadows it.
    Yeah, but I'm just saying. If I tell you Arnold dies in T2, you're going to be going crazy the whole movie wondering how liquid metal man is going to kill him.

Apparently a line from the third book, currently titled Doors of Stone. and not a short story.
  • As an aside, I was shouting at my iPod at the end of the episode for getting Born on the Forth of July wrong. That movie was the one where Tom Cruise goes to Vietnam and gets paralyzed from the chest down and has to deal with postwar life in a wheelchair.

The movie where the guy loses all of his limbs and face - the one that Metallica used for the song One, is called Johnny Got His Gun, based on the book by Dalton Trumbo. Likely another book club-worthy book.
  • I know it's practically a non sequitur, but I just feel compelled to share that I can't enjoy Tom Cruise movies anymore ever since I found out he's a whacked out Scientologist.

The only reason it didn't totally ruin Laura Prepon for me is that she's so hot... but then she went blonde and I got over it.
  • I know it's practically a non sequitur, but I just feel compelled to share that I can't enjoy Tom Cruise movies anymore ever since I found out he's a whacked out Scientologist.
    I read a book called Inside Scientology and it talked about Tom Cruise. Getting him into Scientology was a total con job, they custom tailored his entire experience with the religion. Tom Cruise became a target for the religion and they did everything they could to assure he joined it. It is actually super interesting the way they went about it too. If you are at all interested in why the religion is the way it is. Why people don't quit. And why it attracts movie stars like John Travolta then I think that would be a good book for you to read. The author tries very hard to not say "the religion is bad", she just gives the facts and lets the reader decide. I really enjoyed the book.

• I almost want to read the third book to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

Almost.

I'll find some spoilers and just make fun of those.