This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Gravity Falls

Comments

• Watched the pilot. The kids have 4 fingers, the grownups have 5, and the book has 6. What's that all about?
    You deserve a medal for noticing that.
  • I also noticed that. Also, why you no warn us it isn't on youtube? How are we supposed to find this thing?
  • I also noticed that. Also, why you no warn us it isn't on youtube? How are we supposed to find this thing?
    Torrents trivially.

• This show is great
  • Scott, what pillow did you buy? I don't feel like rewinding.
    I bought this pillow.
    Z by Malouf 100% Natural Talalay Latex Zoned Pillow, QUEEN-HIGH LOFT-FIRM

I slept on it last night. Here is my review after one night. The pillow is wider than other pillows. Still fits in a standard pillow case mostly. It does smell a little bit, but I only noticed the smell on the open end of the pillowcase. At the other end of the pillow, the smell did not get through. I can't comment on whether the smell will go away with time. Sleeping on it feels almost like a waterbed like woosh. However, it does stay firm. Despite feeling comfortable and wooshy, my head was very much elevated. far away from the mattress. I usually need two regular pillows, but this thing might be good enough to get the job done all on its own.
    So this pillow arrived on Friday and I used it for the past 2 nights.

I'm happy I bought this. The smell is faint and while noticeable, it doesn't bother me. The pillow is springy, and like in the description on Amazon, the middle is soft and the outside is firm.

It provides tons of support for my neck on the edge and is soft for my rest of my head. I feel like it head sinks it to it a bit to where it supports the back of my head, so my neck won't get in any weird position when I sleep.

The pillow is long enough for me to hug/hold one end and have my head supported on the other for when I sleep on my sides. I like the soft cover, so I may just stick with that instead of using another pillow case.

Jeremy tried it out and wants one now. He usually uses two pillows to rest on, but he thinks just the one would suit him.

As for temperature of the pillow, I didn't notice the back of my neck getting too warm in the middle of the night or morning. That's one of my biggest pet peeves for when I sleep. If my hair against the back of my neck, it gets too warm to where I can't sleep comfortably. This pillow seems to say fairly cool to a light warm to where it doesn't bother me.

All-in-all, I recommend it if you can afford it.
  • edited October 2012
    Just catching up on back episodes and came running to the computer in the middle of this one to say YES, YES, please do the Utena episode-by-episode analysis. At the very least, definitely do a nice looooong final thoughts episode. Something, anything, as long as it gets done. I have been waiting for you guys to go full-on Utena analysis mode for years now, so any form that takes, the answer is yes.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Rym, if you liked that Brass and Blades video and accompanying article, you should reach each and every article by Ellen Etchingham on that website that is filed under "History Lessons". Fantastic writing about hockey, and I'm sure you as a Red Wings fan will particularly like the article about the Statue of Liberty goal.
  • Just catching up on back episodes and came running to the computer in the middle of this one to say YES, YES, please do the Utena episode-by-episode analysis.
    If they do this, I will rewatch Utena and actually finish it this time.
  • Watched the first episode last night. It was pretty amusing. At first I wasn't feeling Mabel, but she grew on me. She had me laughing when she was chanting to herself, "Please be vampire."

I also laughed pretty heartily as Schmebulock, the gnome. What a name.

I'll check out the other episodes as it goes.
  • Turns out as you go through the season there is some stupid teen drama. When it first appeared I thought it was just for one episode and would move to the background. Turns out it is the foreground and the supernatural mystery is the background. Definitely lowers the grade on this show.
  • That's unfortunate. I would have it the other way around.
  • Turns out as you go through the season there is some stupid teen drama. When it first appeared I thought it was just for one episode and would move to the background. Turns out it is the foreground and the supernatural mystery is the background. Definitely lowers the grade on this show.
    The episode where the teen drama ends (at least for now) easily makes up for it being in the show.

The episode where the teen drama ends (at least for now) easily makes up for it being in the show.

The video game one? Pretty sure the teen drama isn't going to disappear after that.
  • What's with this talk of teen drama? Dipper is only 12, he's technically not a teen.
  • The "teen drama" was pretty much the driving force in Double Dipper episode, which is one of my favorites. So I'm ok with it.
    Not to the level of Legend of Korra. They at least point out that Dipper is 12 and it's silly for him to have these feelings for someone who is clearly older/bigger. And Wendy has more dimension to her character than that. I felt the mix with supernatural is still quite solid.
  • edited November 2012
    Turns out as you go through the season there is some stupid teen drama. When it first appeared I thought it was just for one episode and would move to the background. Turns out it is the foreground and the supernatural mystery is the background. Definitely lowers the grade on this show.

The video game one? Pretty sure the teen drama isn't going to disappear after that.
    Yes, the one that ends with Dipper and Robbie beginning a cold war.

But to be quite honest, there was never a moment where I lamented the fact that there was any sort of "teenage drama". I thought it was handled exceptionally well and was always shown in an interesting way. "The Time Traveller's Pig" was also great.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I would hope that most of the future episodes are like Little Dipper. You have a sort of Mandark/Dexter thing going on with Gideon. Grunkle Stan shows his secret Pinkie Pie smartness in easily thwarting Gideon. Dipper actively tries to use his book of magic to find supernatural secret awesomeness in the woods.

The one thing that makes no sense in the show is why hasn't Dipper read that entire mystical book cover to cover multiple times by now?
  • I really, really don't like Gideon. If there is any part of the show that I find weak, it's him.
  • The one thing that makes no sense in the show is why hasn't Dipper read that entire mystical book cover to cover multiple times by now?
    You have never played Call of Ctulhu? Reading mystical books takes some serious time. Also Dipper has at least skimmed most of the book. Whenever there is something relevant to the episodes plot in the book Dipper is like "I think I read something about this on the book." And then there is relevant thing in the book.

• Started watching Gravity falls this weekend. That show is genuinely hilarious.
  • This song is actually pretty good:
  • edited January 2013
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Oh man season 2 is starting and the first two episodes are pretty great.
  • jmerm said:

Oh man season 2 is starting and the first two episodes are pretty great.

Was the second episode leaked? I don't think it has aired yet...
  • Yup, its not hard to find with google.
  • So when is this show airing? The last episode I saw was 2 weeks ago.
  • Pegu said:

So when is this show airing? The last episode I saw was 2 weeks ago.

The next episodes are on September 12 and 19.
  • edited September 2014
    Gravity Falls just gets humor for the internet. All the shorts are great, but these make me laugh the most.

Post edited by Nukerjsr on