This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weed is legal! Now what?

Comments

• So, apparently the Feds decided that drug law isn't already enough of a clusterfuck. A provision in a Federal spending bill says DoJ can't use Federal funds "to prevent such States from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana." So, Congress has essentially just vindicated nullification. They say that citizens of one state can be prosecuted for violating Federal law while citizens of another state cannot, not because of anything outlines in the US Code, but because of what their state government says.

Why not just move it to another schedule? As is, you have a broken double standard where some people face years in prison for something that they could do legally one state over. Couldn't they just move it to schedule II or III and start Federally regulating it as medicine?
  • Greg said:

Why not just move it to another schedule? As is, you have a broken double standard where some people face years in prison for something that they could do legally one state over. Couldn't they just move it to schedule II or III and start Federally regulating it as medicine?

I always wondered that myself. I never understood why marijuana has such severe penalty imposed by the federal government. It should have been move down the schedule category ages ago.

• Greg said:

Couldn't they just move it to schedule II or III and start Federally regulating it as medicine?

They do, sort of. The Feds had a medical marijuana program until the 80's when Reagan ended its expansion. There are still a few people who haven't died yet that are on it; they get tins of joints every month, courtesy of the United States government.
  • I never understood why marijuana has such severe penalty imposed by the federal government.

Because the Tobacco and Alcohol lobbies exist and do not want the competition. That's the main reason this is an uphill battle. Congress isn't going to legalize marijuana until enough states have legalized it to guarantee that people from those states can still get re-elected if they support decriminalization.

• I guess that makes sense. Couldn't Tobacco companies instead of lobbying against it. Set it up were than can be the dominant market in growing and selling marijuana themselves though?
  • Greg said:

I always wondered that myself. I never understood why marijuana has such severe penalty imposed by the federal government. It should have been move down the schedule category ages ago.

Because paper barons.
  • I guess that makes sense. Couldn't Tobacco companies instead of lobbying against it. Set it up were than can be the dominant market in growing and selling marijuana themselves though?

And increase their production of blunt wraps.
  • edited November 2015
    Of course shit ass Ohio would vote down legal weed.

In other news I ended up buying a honey oil vape pen.

EDIT: Actually the monopoly thing is bullshit, but why the fuck would anyone write some nonsense like that into a bill?
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

Of course shit ass Ohio would vote down legal weed.

As Rym and others have already pointed out, the Ohio measure wasn't just about legalizing weed, it was about creating a state constitution-created monopoly of marijuana, limited to just 10 specific farms.

It's a GOOD thing that Ohio voted down this measure, not because marijuana should be illegal but because of all the shenanigans attached to it.

Legalize marijuana. Don't create bullshit monopolies basically giving exclusive growing rights to specific campaign donors.
  • You missed my edit, but I still stand by my claim of Ohio being shitty because they wrote in bullshit like that.
  • MATATAT said:

EDIT: Actually the monopoly thing is bullshit, but why the fuck would anyone write some nonsense like that into a bill?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • MATATAT said:

Is it one of those bulb shaped ones that just threads onto an ego battery? I've been curious about those.

• Oregon voted against the first initiative for legal weed because it was bad law. The second time around it passed. Ohio voters did the right thing voting down this particular version of legal weed.
  • AaronC said:

Oregon voted against the first initiative for legal weed because it was bad law. The second time around it passed. Ohio voters did the right thing voting down this particular version of legal weed.

Agreed.

This was a play by monopolistic corporate interests to piggyback on the wide support for legalization for selfish interest.
  • MATATAT said:

Is it one of those bulb shaped ones that just threads onto an ego battery? I've been curious about those.

No it's just like a tobacco vape pen but instead of buying the liquid stuff and pouring it into the holder or tip thing you just but a disposable mouthpiece and vial combination. This also comes with the atomizer on it. As a result it's a tad expensive but 1) I don't smoke very much and 2) a little goes a long way. It's also just healthier and WAAAAY more convenient.
  • Sanders is introducing legislation to end Federal regulation of marijuana. This is the legislation Congress should have passed rather than that weird amendment I posted earlier today. It's a little too extreme to actually make it through Congress (that's kinda Sanders' thing), but I could see it getting watered down into a bill that removes marijuana from schedule I and outlines how states can distribute it as medicine.
  • Greg said:

Sanders is introducing legislation to end Federal regulation of marijuana. This is the legislation Congress should have passed rather than that weird amendment I posted earlier today. It's a little too extreme to actually make it through Congress (that's kinda Sanders' thing), but I could see it getting watered down into a bill that removes marijuana from schedule I and outlines how states can distribute it as medicine.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about Sanders in general. Some of his stuff might not work as well as he hopes or might just be too "Radical" to go through but even the watered down versions of them would be a positive.
  • Hypothetical: a man in Illinois has a medical marijuana card, brings card and marijuana on vacation to Iowa. Can the Feds prosecute him for possession? Can the Feds prosecute him for transportation across state lines? Does that prevent states from implementing their medical marijuana laws? Can Iowa prosecute him? It's contraband in their state, regardless of what Illinois says. Could this man get years in Iowa prison for doing something legal in his home state of Illinois?
  • Not unless he's an idiot. Don't tell the cops anything and how can they prove the weed is from out of state? Also, unless he brings a very large amount looking like he's selling it, would probably only get ticketed, maybe arrested and probably $100 bond, vehicle impounded at the worst (and could probably safely skip back over state lines once free and avoid going to court at all).
  • Greg said:

Hypothetical: a man in Illinois has a medical marijuana card, brings card and marijuana on vacation to Iowa. Can the Feds prosecute him for possession? Can the Feds prosecute him for transportation across state lines? Does that prevent states from implementing their medical marijuana laws? Can Iowa prosecute him? It's contraband in their state, regardless of what Illinois says. Could this man get years in Iowa prison for doing something legal in his home state of Illinois?

Short I-am-not-a-lawyer answer?

Yes.

Congress needs to fix it.

• It sets a bad precedent if states can sue each other over laws.
  • Kosher marijuana

Was it ever NOT kosher?
  • edited February 2016
    Legal weed sales generated $5.4 billion.

If this doesn't turn some heads in Washington...
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Just skimmed back through the thread, and for the next three states, the top predictions were Vermont, Massachusetts, New York. Rhode Island and Maine also got a look in.

As it stands, it's legal in Four states, one district territory thing, and one indian reservation.

Which are, as of right now: D.C. (2014, Grow your own, no commercial sale yet), Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe(Summer of 2015, legal sales started in Jan 2016), Oregon(regulations governing sale issued Jan 1st, 2016), Alaska(2014), Colorado(2012), and Washington State(2012).

None of the predicted states have made weed proper legal. Massachusetts has Medical(But harder to get than california's hilariously easy medical cards), New York has decriminalized possession unless it's open to public view, and medical is non-smoking only, Vermont is Medical use with civil penalties for possession, Rhode Island is a civil offense for possession, but medical is legal, and Maine is medical use only with civil for possession, except for the areas within Portland and South Portland city limits, where possession is legal, or at least, the state law is not enforced.