This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2013 Gaming Grand Prix

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Don't worry, they'll play for a week and then disappear again.

EDIT: Also, are you planning an extension/bye week for PAX?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Scoot, I have a complaint. The complaint is that there are too many complaints. Also one of these sentences is a lie.
  • Don't worry, they'll play for a week and then disappear again.

EDIT: Also, are you planning an extension/bye week for PAX?
    I am planning on a round that will have a two-week long due date instead of one week.
  • IT'S COMING.
    I can't wait for people to argue about the selections and rules.
    what if arguing about the rules IS a game?
  • IT'S COMING.
    Will someone please make arguing about the rules a game? That would be so much fun.
  • Because ad-hoc things tend to suck, not be taken seriously, and fall apart.
    Finally! A real answer!
    All these people who don't post coming out of the woodwork. Y U NO SAY THINGS?
    Maybe we're holding out until the 11th hour to throw off your planning. That said, I'm in this shizz.
  • Just finished up some NS2. Going to take a shower. When I come out it may or m ay not be March 1st.
  • You didn't add me.
  • You're in there. Check again.
  • We should have an award for best trash talk as well. Actual place may or may not be taken into consideration.
  • Controversy! Technically your entries are past the deadline of March 1st, 2013 EST. Pray that the Scott is merciful and allows your entry. I am not optimistic about your chances!
  • Controversy! Technically your entries are past the deadline of March 1st, 2013 EST. Pray that the Scott is merciful and allows your entry. I am not optimistic about your chances!
    He said in the post in the Cannabalt thread that entry wasn't closed.
  • edited March 2013
    Controversy! Scott's name is in the list of players!
    I am not optimistic about your chances!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    I quote from the Round 1 post, "It's also not too late to sign up for the grand prix."

That being said, me too.
  • All these people who don't post coming out of the woodwork. Y U NO SAY THINGS?
    Hey, I used to post, I just stopped because I'm weird about forums.
  • IT'S COMING.
    Will someone please make arguing about the rules a game? That would be so much fun.
    You've obviously never played Mao or Nomic.
  • edited March 2013
    At one point in middle/high school I played Mao almost daily on the school bus.
  • I'll play along unofficially. Mostly because I haven't the time to play all the games.
  • I kinda dislike Mao. Mostly because my limited experience with it included far too generous explanations of rules.
  • You've obviously never played Benjuka.
  • I have a suggestion/observation regarding the scoring system.

Tournament systems where large number of players are left without any points are bad. You want the points skewed towards the top but you also want a long tail. This is both due to the nature of statistical fluctuations and due to the relative importance of differences in placing (place 1 vs 2 is much more important than place 14 vs 15).

You can see the development of the F1 scoring system over time here.

Currently the tail is such that about half of drivers get points each race. I think this should be the case in the FRCFGP as well. With sixty participants the top 30 should get points. Eg:

25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 6, 4, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

This is also basic game design; out of sixty players there will be at least ten players who take this competition seriously and thus retention of only semi committed players (good both for the atmosphere of the GP and good because it gives those players a more enjoyable game) necessitates that rewards, i.e. points, be given out to more than just the top ten.
  • I agree. When the FRCFGP was just an idea, who knew there would be so many taking part? I thought there would be about 20-25 players, so the same points as F1 races would make sense. Now only giving points to the top ten seems like bad design.
  • Timo, I was thinking of that exact same problem already. I think we will definitely have to give poitns to more than just the top 10 or so.
  • Timo, I was thinking of that exact same problem already. I think we will definitely have to give poitns to more than just the top 10 or so.
    That makes my goal of getting victory points every round way too easy. Maybe I should readjust my goal to be in top ten every round. It's basically the same thing.

• I am 100% down with this.
  • Timo is right, and fortunately changing the scoring doesn't have much strategic significance right now.
  • edited March 2013
    How about this:
    200, 150, 129, 110, 95, 82, 70, 60, 52, 44, 38, 33, 28, 24, 21, 18, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

I think floor(exp(-ax+b)) does a pretty good job, though I decided to bump up first place a bit more.

That said, this is probably too top-heavy, so perhaps more design is warranted.