This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2013 Gaming Grand Prix

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Yeah, but that would definitely be against the rules (though it would be easy to get away with).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited March 2013
    I considered macros but didn't even asked because I though it's obviously cheating. Like Dromaro said, you can perform perfectly every type of jump; jumping a box near the end of the building, for example, is easier that way beacause you can make the shortest jump possible then assure you jump again on time by using a turbo function. It's not a big deal and just gives you a slightly advantage if any, but it's somewhat modifying the game.

That said, I'm playing with a controller because it's way easier to control the jump length than with the keyboard key, and I guess a keyboard is better than a touchscreen (edit: seems I guessed wrong), so equipment advantages are still there.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • The jump "seems" analog to me, but I wouldn't doubt it if it's not. The problem I often run into is with my squishy-buttoned keyboard it's pretty hard to hit the difference between "shortest" and "short" jump consistently. The difference between short and long though is easy to hit.

That said, most of my runs end because I fuck up. I can only really point at a few times where I genuinely feel like I got fucked by the algorithm.
  • edited March 2013
    I'm making these statements in the context of a competitive situation. If it's single player and no one else cares? Whatever, dude.

If there is an air of fairness to be maintained, efforts must be made keep things equal. Frankly, I was a bit surprised that Game Master Scott allowed multiple platforms for reasons touched on by Cheesey-poo.
    Something else I just realized was that if you can bottle-neck flash's speed (or any OS speed for this game) you could make it "easier".
    There is a cheat program that does precisely that. 1 minute of searching on YouTube should find it for you if you're that interested.
    First of all, are there really only three jumps? Definitely feels like an analog jump to me. Could be wrong, though.
    I have the opposite feels. In any case, macros can gradient out however you want them, even if you're correct.
    Two, you still have to press the jump at the right time. That is far more important and difficult than how much you jump.
    Granted but see below...
    Three, having to press the correct button out of three, is that really that much harder than pressing one button for the correct duration?
    Absolutely. Under speed, I cannot tell you how many times I've died because of accidentally pushing it too hard and over jumping that window or under jumping and hitting that mine and exploded into a fine mist because I was going too fast and couldn't afford a max jump because it would mean I'd land in the gap of the next building when I was going too fast.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • edited March 2013
    and I guess a keyboard is better than a touchscreen
    It's actually the other way around.
    The jump "seems" analog to me, but I wouldn't doubt it if it's not. The problem I often run into is with my squishy-buttoned keyboard it's pretty hard to hit the difference between "shortest" and "short" jump consistently.
    Just hit the key harder (i.e. rap it), or rebind a mouse button to the keyboard key so it's easier to press.
    That said, most of my runs end because I fuck up. I can only really point at a few times where I genuinely feel like I got fucked by the algorithm.
    As far as I can tell so far, every situation the game puts you in is possible to get past, though it's true that some are much harder than others.
    If there is an air of fairness to be maintained, efforts must be made keep things equal. Frankly, I was a bit surprised that Game Master Scott allowed multiple platforms for reasons touched on by Cheesey-poo.
    I think Scott didn't realise the differences between the mobile and Flash versions were of some significance.

Also, there's nothing unequal about macros if everyone can use them. Indeed, it may even be fairer with them if hardware advantages are canceled out.
  • edited March 2013
    That may be the case, but I'm not certain. I ran into one of those "windows so low and close you can't just fall through them" on one run and while that may be possible it would have required some crazy forsight.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • As far as I can tell so far, every situation the game puts you in is possible to get past, though it's true that some are much harder than others.
    I find this to be true. The two exceptions are you're going too fast and the algorithm is serving up things you can't even see because of it and if you hit two objects on the same building. The slow down seems too much and the algorithm has already served up a jump that's too bug and you're now too slow to hit it.
  • The two exceptions are you're going too fast and the algorithm is serving up things you can't even see because of it and if you hit two objects on the same building.
    True, but you're never forced to be going too fast or to hit two objects.
  • edited March 2013
    True, but you're never forced to be going too fast or to hit two objects.
    Yes you are, when objects stop appearing 15~ buildings in a row. And at that speed, jumping 2 objects usually means death, so do not jumping them.

Also buildings so small you jump them over.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • edited March 2013
    Yes you are, when objects stop appearing 15~ buildings in a row.
    Perhaps, but such things are so rare that it's not a very significant addition to the overall variance in the game.
  • edited March 2013
    Perhaps, but such things are so rare that it's not a very significant addition to the overall variance in the game.
    It happens to me all the time. Just when I'm thinking "ok, too fast, time to slow down", objects stop appearing, haha.

Anyway, the difference between virtually impossible and humanly (or almost) impossible is not so important if you are not devoting your life to the game.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • So if anyone cares to fill me in:

Do the spaceships do anything besides shake the screen?

Is there anything in the background I should be paying attention to for relevant information?
  • The noise is your tell.
  • The noise is your tell.
    For the rocket ships? It seems like it's simultaneous.
  • http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AdamSaltsman/20100929/6096/Tuning_Canabalt.php
    Ah, so the jumps are analog, but there are some sharp cutoffs that make them nearly digital.
  • edited March 2013
    Broke my record with 10957. Is cut off Friday or Thursday?

Edit: Friday. So will the next game be announced same day or Saturday?
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Jesus christ people. Imagine what your scores would be if you played Cababalt instead of writing the last 50 posts.
  • What if I write a Canabot that plays perfectly, a la

?
  • Jesus christ people. Imagine what your scores would be if you played Cababalt instead of writing the last 50 posts.
    Also, jesus christ people. If you are going to go to such lengths to dissect a game like this, it will be almost impossible for me to find a game that we can play fairly that is also accessible to all players.
  • People dissect topics/conversations on this forum to the point where we lose sight of the original goal at hand?

That's unheard of! (¯ ω ¯ ;)
  • Wait... A competition filled with gamers, geeks and gamers who are geeks isn't going to devolve into nothing but hair splitting? =D

Seriously, just play and have fun. Best gamer wins!
  • Question: is everyone capable of streaming video via twitch.tv/google hangout/skype/etc.?
  • Technically, yes. You don't need a camera, and you should be able to screen share pretty easily. At the very worst, you can record with something like FRAPS, and then put it on youtube as a private video and share the link.
  • My system combined with my upload speed would not likely make it feasible for me. Why do you ask?
  • My system combined with my upload speed would not likely make it feasible for me. Why do you ask?
    I am considering changing another round to a "ONE CHANCE" mode. I personally schedule and watch everyone play the game exactly once, and that's their score. There will be time for practice, but only the play I watch will count.
  • Grand Prix: Hardmode. I mean, the logistics behind that would be immense. I'd do my best to accommodate, as I'm sure others would. Mad props if you decide to do that.
  • edited March 2013
    My system combined with my upload speed would not likely make it feasible for me. Why do you ask?
    I am considering changing another round to a "ONE CHANCE" mode. I personally schedule and watch everyone play the game exactly once, and that's their score. There will be time for practice, but only the play I watch will count.
    U cray cray. :)

Sounds more like a PAX type event. In person.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Yeah, that sounds insane, but also awesome.
  • soooo, im in