This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sauna

edited February 2013 in Everything Else
Who's been? What did you think?

Here is a nice, very accurate, documentary to help you get over your longing for more Sauna.

Comments

• I used to sauna when doing acrobatics training. Now I'm much more of a hot tub kinda guy.
  • Well that documentary didn't help at all, now I really, really want to go to Sauna.
  • It's been far too long for me. It's sad that the only Sauna near us are in gyms, even then they aren't legit.
  • I know there are a lot of woo-claims about health benefits of saunas, but they are still enjoyable, so why not go to one as long as it isn't selling snake oil? The same goes for yoga. Some yogis make up all kinds of magical nonsense related to yoga, but that just means those people are scam artists and not that yoga itself is a bad or harmful exercise/sport.
  • Of course the Finn started the thread on saunas :P
  • edited February 2013
    Play to your strenths :-).

In the documentary the head of the finnish sauna association (yes there is such a thing, yes I want to be a member, yes there is a long waiting list and you have to have two sponsors with a +5year membership) briefly explains the proven health benefits which are that it can be used to treat the symptoms in some cases of asthma, the symptoms of some cardiovascular diseases, and the symptoms of some cases of rheumatism. In all these cases treatment effects are temporary. On the other hand it has not been shown to adversely affect any disease apart from acute angina and acute coronary problems. I had full clearance to go to sauna with a days old appendicitis.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I have no use for a sauna. Texas summers fill the need for that.
  • edited February 2013
    There is a sauna in the basement of the house I am renting. I have been here since April and have yet to turn it on. I'll have to correct this at some point.

Fits like 2 or 3 people. And yeah, it has a tape deck.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I can't breathe in wet saunas. Dry saunas though, those are nice. It's like a heating pad for my whole body!
  • What am tape deck? You no am play god!
  • There is a sauna in the basement of the house I am renting. I have been here since April and have yet to turn it on. I'll have to correct this at some point.

Why wouldn't you use that every single day?
  • I would basically live in that thing.
  • There is a sauna in the basement of the house I am renting. I have been here since April and have yet to turn it on. I'll have to correct this at some point.

[Picture]
    Is that a real proper sauna or just one of those warm boxes?

• I love dry saunas and wet saunas. I have never been to one that was Finnish style, but I go to the Korean jjimjilbang bathhouse all the time, and I hear it is similar. (It's like a building with Japanese-style bathhouse and Korean saunas and a pool on the roof.) I love sauna, but people in America go out too soon and keep letting the cold air in.
  • The one in my basement is an electric one that uses heating elements, so not coal and steam action there. I'll try it out soon enough.
  • That, Matt, is an abomination unto Saunadom... but it's better than nothing :-).

Funny story, friend of mine was visiting american family that had a real electric sauna in the house. Proceeded to use it and throw water onto the kiuas which promptly freaked the american family out: "you're throwing water on an electric device!?!?!". After short inspection turned out that the kiuas was manufactured in Finland and connected properly so american family had been needlessly using it wrong for years.

Other funny story, went with a friend of mine to local gym sauna in the states and took our own water buckets with us so we could do the water throwing.

Funny story number three, always check that there is a floor drain in the sauna before starting the water throwing...
  • I feel like I'd only like it if had a hottub or something in it. I'm not really fond of just sitting around being sweaty.
  • I feel like I'd only like it if had a hottub or something in it. I'm not really fond of just sitting around being sweaty.
    I think this sentiment is only common among people who have never been in a sauna or have only been in a poorly heated sauna. Referring to a properly heated (80C - 95C) sauna as "sitting around being sweaty" is like saying a marathon is "walking around a bit and getting sweaty".
  • 95C? Holy science. I think I love it but it would have to be humid as shit for me to be able to even breathe in there.
  • You live in Southern California and I've lived here long enough to know that it get well above 95 in the summer and it is DRY (at least in the valley). In short, wha'chu talkin' 'bout Dromaro?
  • 95•C in California? Really?
  • edited February 2013
    95*C*. That's ~200F. You're essentially sitting in a preheating oven.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • That doesn't sound enjoyable, just painful.
  • Phil and I may or may not be visiting many onsen with sauna and private bath. *\(^o^)/*
  • That doesn't sound enjoyable, just painful.
    After a day of running or skiing? It's delightful.

• edited February 2013
    That doesn't sound enjoyable, just painful.
    After a day of running or skiing? It's delightful.
    Funny story number four: Once we rented a cottage midway up on the slopes and during sauna we went up and down the slope (including lift) in bathrobes.

The hottest sauna I have been in was 120C (due to over enthusiastic fire management) and that was not particularly enjoyable until it got down to under 100C. A normal wood heated sauna is usually nice and moist since it draws in so much fresh air all the time. Electric saunas tend to be much drier and uncomfortable. Again you may think that dry is better but you'd be wrong. That is actually the prime reason why even wood saunas are uncomfortable at over 100C. At that temp the water in the air is no longer present as condensed droplets but turns into steam making the air feel drier. Just temperature wise 105C is not that different from 95C and your body copes just as well.

Nice trivia, in sauna your core temp doesn't actually change much at all, even your skin only gets a couple of degrees warmer than normal body temp. Just goes to show how efficient water evaporation is at cooling you down.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Sauna geek :P
  • This thread made me remember a funny(ish) happening. When I was a gym rat and went 3+ times a week, I'd sometimes drive the extra 20 minutes to go to the gym with a sauna. They had an electric sauna but it was properly built so you could throw water on it. Most of the time the other people were not cool with that concept even though I told themn it was safely fine.

So I go over one day and they are renovating the sauna. I don't think anything of it and come back a few months later to the new, nicer looking sauna. I throw water on the new kiuas and find out that it isn't waterproof. Thankfully I was alone in there at the time.

You know the old gag where Bugs whistles while he exits stage left after plant dynamite on Elmers' boot or some such? Yeah. That was me.

Yep, it's in Finland.
  • I can't say I've ever had fun in a sauna before, much prefer to sit by a fire in a open place.