This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Google's corporate culture is pretty evil in the incompetent middle management sort of way.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited September 2013
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I'm 90% done with Feedly. The iOS app is just balls. I still can't figure out how to mark as unread in the app and the link to tweet is beyond stupid. All the extra tapping to mark it as read is just too much. I believe there is a setting to change that, but it shouldn't be the default.

I'm checking out Digg now and it's already better. It works on IE9 and it looks to be almost exactly as the original Google Reader. I just need to test it out on the iOS app to fully switch and never look back at Feedly. If Digg doesn't pan out, I will have to try other apps.
  • I had an even lower tolerance level than you for Feedly, I tried it for 1 week then gave up on it. I've just transferred to getting links from social media and it's been working out fine so far.
  • I really like inoreader. Feedly was just too flashy and complicated for my tastes.
  • I remember syncing Digg Reader with my Google Reader before it ended. It SAVED MY STARRED ITEMS.

GAME FUCKING CHANGER. WINNER.
  • edited October 2013
    I really like inoreader. Feedly was just too flashy and complicated for my tastes.
    I like inoreader also, it's really not much different than google reader. I do wish they would make an IOS app for it, that would make it easier for me on my iPad. I never really checked out Digg's reader.
    Post edited by beefy on
  • l went to InoReader after The Old Reader threw their little "We're shutting down, just kidding!" tantrum-like thing, and I haven't looked back. It's quick, responsive, and integrates much better with Pocket, which is a big win for me.
  • Ok a few more things about Digg reader:

- iOS app has a cool feature that if you're in a dark room it will automatically invert the white and black colors of the background and text for easier viewing.
    - The iOS app isn't as fast as I would like it to be on LTE. It seems slower in loading up articles and images. On wi-fi, it's fine.
    - Another con is that unlike Feedly, you can't have separate custom viewing of articles for each feed or category. That would be very nice if they implemented it in the future.

Overall, I am enjoying it a lot more than Feedly.
  • I stopped using it about a year ago, so I can't say that I mourn its loss.
    Honestly, I only used it to read pony fan fiction that wasn't organized on an actual archive because of the tendency of their writers to use approval on Equestria Daily as a form of pre-reading and subsequent publication. Like, a lot of old articles there are going to fill up with dead links now.
  • Google appears to be building Rapture.

• All you kids got cranky about your Google Reader, but I never used that. I was iGoogle all the way, but now that will bite the dust on Nov 1st. Time to set up a Netvines start page.
  • Google = Locus Solus
  • Matt said:

All you kids got cranky about your Google Reader, but I never used that. I was iGoogle all the way, but now that will bite the dust on Nov 1st. Time to set up a Netvines start page.

Well excuse me princess, for following more than 1 RSS feed.
  • Looks like google just can't leave youtube alone. Now you have to have a google+ page to comment. Fuck all of this "social" media bullshit. Facebook is enough, don't need another one.
  • I can't conceive of a good rationalization for complaining about any attempt to increase the barrier to entry for commenting on YOUTUBE.
  • muppet said:

I can't conceive of a good rationalization for complaining about any attempt to increase the barrier to entry for commenting on YOUTUBE.

I am agree. YouTube comments are about to become less shit!
  • Having a google+ page doesn't clean up the comments, all they needed to do was put in a moderating system for the comments.
  • edited November 2013
    They did. You can literally ban people from your channel if you want.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • beefy said:

Having a google+ page doesn't clean up the comments, all they needed to do was put in a moderating system for the comments.

Incorrect. Because your G+ is now attached to your comments, they are no longer anonymous. G+ accounts must be attached to a true identity. People won't post stupid bullshit attached to their true identity. All of the tools that keep spam and bullshit down off of G+ now also apply to YouTube.
  • Bah! Enough about the comments on YouTube, lets speculate wildly about Google's Barge.
  • Apreche said:

beefy said:

Having a google+ page doesn't clean up the comments, all they needed to do was put in a moderating system for the comments.

Incorrect. Because your G+ is now attached to your comments, they are no longer anonymous. G+ accounts must be attached to a true identity. People won't post stupid bullshit attached to their true identity. All of the tools that keep spam and bullshit down off of G+ now also apply to YouTube.
    Actually I'm pretty sure that there is way too large number of people willing to be idiots with their own name attached for it to make the comments considerably better.

• Apsup said:

Apreche said:

beefy said:

Actually I'm pretty sure that there is way too large number of people willing to be idiots with their own name attached for it to make the comments considerably better.

They're also changing the sorting and such so the shit comments will be at the bottom where you never see them. Also, Google will be able to figure out who the shit people are and effectively downvote them across the web. You know they will do this.
  • Apreche said:

beefy said:

Really, my G+ page isn't attached to a true identity. People will always post stupid bullshit to the internet, unless they completely lock the internet down. Plus let's be honest, this is about push G+, I really don't think they really care that much about the comments being mostly shit on youtube.
  • edited November 2013
    beefy said:

Apreche said:

beefy said:

Really, my G+ page isn't attached to a true identity. People will always post stupid bullshit to the internet, unless they completely lock the internet down. Plus let's be honest, this is about push G+, I really don't think they really care that much about the comments being mostly shit on youtube.
    How much do you want to bet that the quality of the first page of YouTube comments increases significantly due to this change? They specifically said they are going to fix it.
    Comments you care about move to the top: Posts from the videos creator will appear at the top (as they do now), along with popular personalities, “engaged” discussions about the video, and of course, people from your Google+ Circles.

Join the conversation publicly or privately: Just like on Google+ you can start a public conversation that is seen by everyone on YouTube and Google+, or keep things viewable to only people in your Circles. Replies will be threaded, making conversations easy to follow.

Better ways to moderate comments: YouTube creators will have new tools to review comments before they’re posted, block key words, or save time by whitelisting comments from specific users.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • beefy said:

Looks like google just can't leave youtube alone. Now you have to have a google+ page to comment. Fuck all of this "social" media bullshit. Facebook is enough, don't need another one.

Facebook is absolute trash social media. The only reason that people persist using it is because the majority of people use it.

G+ is a way better platform in my opinion.

Twitter is good for the quick concise commentary or messaging. As a result it is much more up to date with what is happening of importance in the moment.

Using G+ comments are a plus, as others have noted, it provides that extra anti asshole barrier. Sure, you will have fake names but people that you know in real life who you may have in circles will be able to see the messages you are posting.

The problem will be the YouTube creators who think this is a backwards step due to less comments initially.
  • Man, Reddit is FREAKING OUT about this change.

I must admit, though, it's pretty fucking funny how people are going "Hurr, nobody uses G+" - yeah, actually the second biggest social networking site on the planet, guys. It's bigger than twitter, and the population of the continental united states.
  • Churba said:

Man, Reddit is FREAKING OUT about this change.

I must admit, though, it's pretty fucking funny how people are going "Hurr, nobody uses G+" - yeah, actually the second biggest social networking site on the planet, guys. It's bigger than twitter, and the population of the continental united states.

Sure but are they including people who just have a G+ incidentally because they use a gmail or gmail for domains account? I'm not sure it's really legitimate to count all those (if they are.)

I have a G+ account but only because I got an early invitation and was curious. I almost don't use it except to back up my Android camera gallery.
  • muppet said:

Sure but are they including people who just have a G+ incidentally because they use a gmail or gmail for domains account? I'm not sure it's really legitimate to count all those (if they are.)

Don't see why not. Facebook is the biggest in the world, but they arrive at that number by counting all active(as in, non-suspended or pending deletion) accounts, not just accounts people post in. Why shouldn't we do the same for G+? Because it's not the one that is socially encouraged to use?
    muppet said:

I have a G+ account but only because I got an early invitation and was curious. I almost don't use it except to back up my Android camera gallery.

Then that means you're an active user, because you're actively using a feature or features of G+. You don't have to produce public-facing content to be an active user.
  • It's just disingenuous. And no, obviously I don't think Facebook should be using that metric either, but I'll concede that a more true-to-life metric would be non-trivial to develop and wouldn't benefit either Facebook or Google to come up with.