This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Top 5 Games of the Last Generation

124»

Comments

• Of courses! And it just happends to be real number one game of the Last Generation.

League of Legends.
    LOL

Literally.
    Actually that would be LoL for the Literal abbreviation. :^)
    Don't ruin the joke by explaining it.
    The joke was already ruined by being bad.
  • At least you are consistent only playing relatively challenging single player games.
    From 2003-2005 I did a pretty good job keeping up with new AAA games. Then I played WoW for several years. By the time I kicked that habit, my taste in computer games had changed a lot; the games that stuck with me were the challenging single player games, the classics I missed the first time around, and tabletop games.
  • edited May 2013
    A lot of my favorite games are ones that introduce me to new ways of connecting narrative/style elements with different elements of gameplay. Morrowind, Dwarf Fortress, and Stalker fall under that category. Most others I admire for particularly good executions of systems I'm fond of, like the level design in Chaos Theory or the clean MOBAness of Dota 2. Then there's The Best Games, which include Tetris, Pac Man, QWOP, Counter Strike, Half Life 1, and all the other ones we've been playing over and over for the last few decades.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I'm amazed with all of the nitpicking others have been doing that no one's been tearing me a new one over Race 07 being my game of the generation. It's by no means the best game, just my favorite of the time period. I would argue that all of the games other than that on my list should be highly ranked but I think Red Dead would be the only one I would fight for as one of the absolute best.
  • 1. Human Revolution
    2. Dwarf Fortress
    3. Minecraft
    4. Left 4 Dead
    5. iRacing

Re: Hitman Hart .
    Race 07 was enjoyable - have you tried iRacing?
  • I'm surprised at how many people are saying Deux ex:HR.
  • 2. Dwarf Fortress
    Dwarf Fortress is like EVE, to me - it's one of those games where I absolutely LOVE the idea of it. It's wonderful, it produces great stories, the idea is excellent, the mechanics are both incredibly interesting and very tight, but I don't want to ever actually play it. I gain more enjoyment from living vicariously though other people's play sessions than I ever would playing the game itself.

• edited May 2013
    2. Dwarf Fortress
    I start it up every few weeks / months. I get the farming basics down pat again and then usually get distracted by life (which is a good thing). I have never played a society through to total death due to life and that is a solid reason for it never reaching a 'number 1' in my book.
    Rarely has a game been able to regularly generate such tantalizing narratives! I love one hit stories (Deus Ex, etc) but by and large, once you have read them the story will not change. The same cannot be said for that nigh on inscrutable ASCII world sim.

The fun is in the Challenge.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • edited May 2013
    I'm surprised at how many people are saying Deux ex:HR.
    Because it was bad, and you're surprised people like something that's bad? Or because it's good and you're surprised people like something that's good?
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • edited May 2013
    Because it was pretty okay. Didn't seem like a top game at all to me.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I think I get it. HR is a really, really tight game. It never felt overly ambitious to me but it accomplished a great deal, and exemplified a style of game that this past generation hasn't seen enough of.
  • I'm amazed I'm the only person w/ Dark Souls on the list honestly.
  • I'm amazed I'm the only person w/ Dark Souls on the list honestly.
    It was on my list, but maybe it doesn't count as my list wasn't proper numbered one.

• 1. Human Revolution
    2. Dwarf Fortress
    3. Minecraft
    4. Left 4 Dead
    5. iRacing

Re: Hitman Hart .
    Race 07 was enjoyable - have you tried iRacing?
    I tried it once and I cannot even get out of the pit lane during a practice with most of the cars. Maybe I need a proper steering wheel instead of my 360 pad, but my goodness the cars were squirrelly.
  • edited May 2013
    The only video games I play (for the last five years or so) are those highly recommended by GeekNights, the forum, or a few other friends. This means I don't think I've played any game which isn't already mentioned in top 5 lists in this thread.

I'm not sure of the boundaries of "generation", so I'll just list some of my favourite most-played games of the last 10 years.

FPS:
    Natural Selection
    CS:S and CS:GO
    Half Life 1
    Unreal Tournament (waaaay back in the day)

Platform:
    Super Mario Galaxy

Other:
    FTL

I think that's about it.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I am disappointed in you all.
    1. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    2. Dark Souls
    3. Asura's Wrath
    4. Peace Walker
    5. Vanquish
  • On further consideration, I think I should've just put Dark Souls on there five times.
  • edited May 2013
    3. Asura's Wrath
    Classifying this as a game is tenuous at best. I'd put it in my top 10 anime, probably.
    Post edited by Xefas on