This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Impact of diet on attitude

2»

Comments

• *Puts on a stereotypical German doctor accent* I am proscribing you a strict diet. Corn flakes in ze morning, dry, maybe a sliced banana, Graham Cracks as water for lunch, and a light supper with NO meat, NO dairy, and be sure to get plenty of exercise and fresh air. We will reduce these sexual urges you haff been having.
  • I can't offer you any science, but as a manic-depressive I've experimented on myself quite a bit. It mostly comes down to balance; when I get all my food groups in over the course of the day I'm happy. Some things unbalance it more than others. Too much fried food makes me pissy and anxious, but too much fruit just gives me a sugar high and makes my poop loose. I've had a noticeable effects using some dietary supplements as well. Niacin and fish oil seem to lube the brain up quite nicely. Also, drink coffee. Coffee will make you happy. You know that already.
  • A huge amount of basic metabolism and placebo effect works wonders.
  • I like eating happiness and plant products from my garden. Trying to cut down sodium from easy-prepare food bc too much definitely detriments my mental and physical state. That and drink more water.
  • Are magic brownies a dietary suppliment?
  • Over the years, I've realized that I'm basically always hungry.

I choose not to eat all the time, but the reality is that I always want to. I'm starting to thing this is a big part of why I'm able to avoid jet lag so easily. Even if my rhythms are disrupted, I'm still hungry all the time, so I eat at the correct times no matter what.
  • It helps to be running, my downfall is always that at some point I stop running for a few month and my diet doesn't scale down the extra 600 to 800 calories I burn doing a hour run. So then I start gaining weight. But runners are always hungry :-p
  • I estimate that I burned a bit over 4000 Calories this past weekend just from two runs alone, not counting the biking and bouldering.
  • Rym said:

I estimate that I burned a bit over 4000 Calories this past weekend just from two runs alone, not counting the biking and bouldering.

Can't imagine why Rym is always hungry.
  • Rym said:

Over the years, I've realized that I'm basically always hungry.

I choose not to eat all the time, but the reality is that I always want to. I'm starting to thing this is a big part of why I'm able to avoid jet lag so easily. Even if my rhythms are disrupted, I'm still hungry all the time, so I eat at the correct times no matter what.

I didn't even think of this being the reason that I'm not affected by jet lag. When I moved to the UK everyone thought I needed days to get over the jet lag and I wasn't really affected.

I wouldn't say I'm hungry all the time but I could eat all the time if I wanted to. If I get to that tipping point of not having enough to eat and mistaking lack of glucose for being tired I will end up waking up with a headache as my brain demands glucose and hydration.
  • My diet consists of coke zero and... that's just about it actually.

It explains some things.
  • Rym said:
    But we knew that already.
  • Rym said:
    Right, the gluten complex may not be causing the issues. There is abundant evidence about digestive difficulty related to FODMAPS, which are typically found alongside gluten in foods.

So gluten is not actually the issue - it's the stuff associated with gluten that some people have trouble digesting.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/are_you_really_gluten-sensitive.html

Which makes sense, really. Those fermentable oligos that are not pre-digested have to be broken down in the large intestine. Variations in gut flora mean that different people digest these with varying efficiency.
  • Apreche said:

We didn't know that until we studied it. We had biased conjecture at best.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

How come every time my personal thing I "knew" turns out to be right. And don't tell me it's confirmation bias. When was the last time it turned out that I was wrong?
  • "Crab People Gaming" already exists, and has the best logo.
    https://secure.esl.eu/ee/team/7285617/

We can just be "Crab People."
  • Rym said:

"Crab People Gaming" already exists, and has the best logo.
    https://secure.esl.eu/ee/team/7285617/

We can just be "Crab People."

Let's just be [FRC] as expected.
  • edited August 2015
    Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

don't tell me it's confirmation bias
    It's confirmation bias.

It's also the same kind of way that psychics make predictions. If you make a sufficiently general statement - "That gluten thing is probably bullshit" - about a field that is literally in active study, you'll probably be "right" for some value of "right."

Basically, saying "we don't know enough about this to draw a definitive conclusion" is a safe statement when applied to areas of scientific research. We almost never know anything "definitively."

No, we didn't know about NCGS. And actually, as I said, the research points to a FODMAPS sensitivity - there's still a digestive trouble, but rather than being a protein-induced response, it's a difficulty in processing unprocessed carbohydrates.

To the consumer, there's no difference. Most people don't actually know what gluten is or what it does - but it's associated with wheat and other cereals, and people who have difficulty processing cereals probably don't care if they're reacting to glutenin or gliadin or some random oligosaccharide.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

How come every time my personal thing I "knew" turns out to be right. And don't tell me it's confirmation bias. When was the last time it turned out that I was wrong?
    When you said that the Romans got the idea for swords and armor from the knights of the middle ages.

When you tried to explain to me how pegs are required (or even used at all) to hop a curb on a bike.

When you taught me the wrong rules to Lost Cities.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

When you said that the Romans got the idea for swords and armor from the knights of the middle ages.

When you tried to explain to me how pegs are required (or even used at all) to hop a curb on a bike.

When you taught me the wrong rules to Lost Cities.
    Those aren't FoRKs.
  • I had to look up FODMAPS on Wikipedia, which sent me down a hole. Then I found out there is a monosaccharide sugar named Galactose. Now I just want to make Galactus jokes for the rest of the day that nobody will understand.
  • Matt said:

I had to look up FODMAPS on Wikipedia, which sent me down a hole. Then I found out there is a monosaccharide sugar named Galactose. Now I just want to make Galactus jokes for the rest of the day that nobody will understand.

Galactus eats the planet Gluton and promptly spends the next week on the shitter.

I dunno, that's about the level of clever I got today.
  • Diet soda is pretty bullshit, and you probably shouldn't be drinking it.
    http://www.vox.com/2015/9/11/9311253/diet-soda-weight

This isn't new information, but it's a good summary of the current state of research.
  • This makes much more sense to me than the "diet soda is actually *worse* than regular soda" arguments. They are both awful for you! One just slightly less so. However, the type of person most prone to drinking diet soda is most prone to fuck it all up and overcompensate with half of a pizza.

The same study was done related to moderate exercise a year or two back. You overestimate your accomplishment and completely reverse all benefit.
  • Diabetes seems to be equally correlated with regular soda and diet soda...
  • Rym said:
    Thank you, now I can get people to stop talking to me about this.