This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steam OS

edited September 2013 in Video Games
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

So I guess we all suspected this from the start, any comments? Looks interesting all in all, I wonder if they can push for more linux AAA titles from now on, and up to date official drivers for ATI and NVIDIA.
Post edited by MrRoboto on

Comments

• Will be nice when someday I have a TV that uses Wi-Fi. Makes Big Picture mode useful to someone like me. People who don't want an HTPC can use this to the same effect. Sounds helpful.
  • Should I put this on my HTPC instead of Windows... Probably not.
  • edited September 2013
    Also, two more announces after this. Wonder what they'll be. SteamOS is an interesting idea, though.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Also, two more announces after this. Wonder what they'll be. SteamOS is an interesting idea, though.
    1) Hardware that runs SteamOS including set-top box and controller.

2) Half-Life 3 /trollface
  • Why would I want SteamOS on my TV connected PC? There's a bazillion options, all of which are decent. What's SteamOS going to do for me that other choices don't have?

I honestly don't see what Steam is trying to do here.
  • I think the big talk is the streaming options. You can stream game from PC to TV over Wi-Fi, which is pretty rad.
  • 2) Half-Life 3 /trollface
    Three icons, Third icon has three symbols, announce is occurring over three days, Three plus three plus three is nine which divided by three equals three. Half Life 3 Confirmed.

• Realistic guess: Something for mobile steam.

Streaming games from PC to steam app like the NVidia thing? Steam mobile game store? Steam phone?
  • Steam phone is unlikely, I don't think they have the juice to pull enough people away from iOS and Android to make a steam phone viable. Maybe a mobile game store, but there's already a Mobile game store that works well enough, it's called the Apple App store and Google Play.

Streaming games from PC, though, that could be interesting. Especially combined with - rather than mobile steam - Steam OS. Say you want to play a game that's hardware intensive enough that it won't run on your HTPC - I don't know, say you suffered a Phineas Gage and wanted to play Crysis 2 on your tv or some shit - you could stream from your machine that does have the horsepower, to the Steam OS PC. I mean, I doubt it would be that, but fuck, I dunno. It's Valve, who knows what crazy shit they're doing.
  • I mean, they already announced streaming to TV's on their page. I think the streaming thing will definitely work in a variety of ways.
  • Well, steam OS would probably mean a optimized OS for gaming, thus minimum requirements could be lower for games to run at high settings, start-up and shutdown speeds could also be lower.

That, and the fact that you wouldn't be tied to the whims of Microsoft if they decide they no longer want to have backwards compatibility with their new OS's, if it runs on linux, you can probably get it running one way or another.

Also, gaming has been one of the reasons people still buy Windows or maintain a windows box, free OS for gaming and streaming stuff would be enough for lots of people to ditch windows.
  • They should have called it GLaDOS or POTaTOS
  • They should have called it GLaDOS or POTaTOS
    They need normal people to buy it.
  • I honestly think the streaming thing is gonna be butts. I'm just picturing OnLive with less lag and potentially better quality. But even still input lags need to be calibrated for each game and even then you're dependent on what your home network connection is like. Wired is probably okay, but anything semi far away on wifi is probably gonna be butts and if its close enough I feel like you might as well just use the PC.
  • I feel like a lot of features that people are developing are only useful to people who have big houses. I can imagine being in my parents house. My powerful computers is upstairs. The HTPC on the TV downstairs is small, and only powerful enough for video and such. I bought a game on Steam that is fancy 3D, but is better to play with a gamepad. I stream it from the PC upstairs over the LAN. Almost no lag, because LAN. Not bad.

In my tiny apartment, most of these things are completely useless. I sometimes use the iTunes remote app on my iPhone to control the HTPC iTunes app when I'm cooking something. But really, it's like five steps away to go over to the TV. If I had a house, oh it would be amazing.
  • edited September 2013
    I feel like a lot of features that people are developing are only useful to people who have big houses. I can imagine being in my parents house. My powerful computers is upstairs. The HTPC on the TV downstairs is small, and only powerful enough for video and such. I bought a game on Steam that is fancy 3D, but is better to play with a gamepad. I stream it from the PC upstairs over the LAN. Almost no lag, because LAN. Not bad.
    True, but most houses, at least in my hometown, do not have ethernet running through the house. Maybe newer houses are better off but I dunno the demographics at all. I guess my parent's old house is a bit extreme since we had internet in the basement and the only time I would have used this was on the second story in my bedroom where the wifi connection to the basement was the worst. Maybe a single or double level house would be alright but even then my 1 bedroom apartment has a wall setup that makes the wifi in the bedroom horrible. It kinda depends on how your house is set up with the wifi.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I feel like a lot of features that people are developing are only useful to people who have big houses. I can imagine being in my parents house. My powerful computers is upstairs. The HTPC on the TV downstairs is small, and only powerful enough for video and such. I bought a game on Steam that is fancy 3D, but is better to play with a gamepad. I stream it from the PC upstairs over the LAN. Almost no lag, because LAN. Not bad.
    True, but most houses, at least in my hometown, do not have ethernet running through the house. Maybe newer houses are better off but I dunno the demographics at all. I guess my parent's old house is a bit extreme since we had internet in the basement and the only time I would have used this was on the second story in my bedroom where the wifi connection to the basement was the worst. Maybe a single or double level house would be alright but even then my 1 bedroom apartment has a wall setup that makes the wifi in the bedroom horrible. It kinda depends on how your house is set up with the wifi.
    They will be happy to sell you more wifi radios.

• Mom and Dad just don't understand why I need more wifi.
  • Mom and Dad just don't understand why I need more wifi.
  • Streaming is definitely a big plus for me. Just the other day I was thinking about setting something like that up with a raspberry Pi once I get a decent gaming pc since I definitely won't be able to afford a good HTPC right away. I just hope that SteamOS means a lot more games will be on Steam Linux so I don't have any real reason to use Windows anymore.
  • edited September 2013
    [disregard this]
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited September 2013
    I feel like a lot of features that people are developing are only useful to people who have big houses. I can imagine being in my parents house. My powerful computers is upstairs. The HTPC on the TV downstairs is small, and only powerful enough for video and such. I bought a game on Steam that is fancy 3D, but is better to play with a gamepad. I stream it from the PC upstairs over the LAN. Almost no lag, because LAN. Not bad.

In my tiny apartment, most of these things are completely useless. I sometimes use the iTunes remote app on my iPhone to control the HTPC iTunes app when I'm cooking something. But really, it's like five steps away to go over to the TV. If I had a house, oh it would be amazing.
    I'm definitely in that boat, and since I'm moving next week with a very nice but nearly 4-year-old HTPC, I've been mulling over a lot of "which TV should the HTPC go on, do I really need something that powerful for the family room, etc." Ultimately we are keeping the HTPC on the main TV b/c the convenience of using a browser is just too good. We also like the ability to rip discs to the hard drive. I also have a VHS deck hooked up to video capture so we rip old home movies and kid's movies. You can get classic Disney films for a quarter at a yard sale on VHS, then just rip them for later. She doesn't care that it's not HD. If she wants that, there's a few thousand things she can watch on Netflix instead.

SteamOS wouldn't serve my current needs. I don't have a NAS in my house (yet) so we use a TB on the HTPC as our home's central file server. I also don't have a desktop (yet), so if I want to do ANY PC gaming, it's on that HTPC. It's too important to start fucking around with. If I eventually get a NAS and a desktop, HTPC won't be my primary device for so many functions, and I might try out new and cheaper solutions.

Post edited by Matt on
  • "Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
    Sure."

I love you, Valve.
  • All hail the Gabecube.
  • This sounds like something I would want to dual boot into. I use my PC for more than just gaming and a steam-only PC sounds about as appealing as a console.
  • But why even dual boot? The Steam client will still work as usual.
  • If it's actually open then it should mean things like the streaming will get ported to Ubuntu and such.
  • Steam Controller
    It looks silly and different, and as is known, anything different is bad and wrong. But seriously, I'm not sold. No d-pad is pretty big deal for me and I don't think they have had right focus in mind when building this. I feel that that's some kind of middlepoint between mouse and keyboard controls and common controller and as that it will not excel in anything.

• I don't get why people are all hung up on dpads and analog joysticks. I'm sure they've tried this idea out with at least a few people before revealing it to the public. I'm willing to bet it works pretty decently.

Although the weird concave center is kinda strange...