This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Nidhogg

2»

Comments

• You guys need to do something about the stream since whenever I attempt to see it live it starts and shops again. I know some people that have the ability to allow a view to a lower quality stream which might do the trick.
  • your connection blows Coldguy, you can't even keep it up for Civ V multiplayer :-p
  • Cremlian said:

your connection blows Coldguy, you can't even keep it up for Civ V multiplayer :-p

I'm working on it...

• edited January 2014
    Skope, you mentioned a problem with jumping and running. Did they not figure out that if someone gets a clean break run, that you need to run the opposite way as the defender to auto-suicide and get your respawn ASAP? It's a bit counterintuitive but it helps keep the leader from (literally) running away with the game. The separate maps help but this really tightens it up.

I haven't watched the video yet but I'll have to, cause I love me some Nidhogg.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • The problem with running the opposite way for suicide and respawn is that you often do not respawn soon enough. I've found that if someone is on the run without a sword, you will almost always not respawn before they hit the next screen even if you kill yourself ASAP. Also, even if you spawn at the very edge of the screen, it probably won't be in time to matter unless there is a door and ceiling. There's also, what I consider to be, a bug where sometimes you respawn, but it's in the wrong place, so you may as well not have spawned at all.
  • Matt said:

Skope, you mentioned a problem with jumping and running. Did they not figure out that if someone gets a clean break run, that you need to run the opposite way as the defender to auto-suicide and get your respawn ASAP? It's a bit counterintuitive but it helps keep the leader from (literally) running away with the game. The separate maps help but this really tightens it up.

I haven't watched the video yet but I'll have to, cause I love me some Nidhogg.

I understand that mechanic it is just the ability for someone to jump over you in certain stages and run, yet you're not really given a fair respawn if you do suicide, Scott pretty much wrote what I was feeling but I haven't played it very much yet. Also the online play seems to lag a little making reaction moves difficult.

• Having to run backward to respawn in the correct place is some last-hitting bullshit.

I would add some ability to manipulate spawning openly.
  • Rym said:

Having to run backward to respawn in the correct place is some last-hitting bullshit.

I would add some ability to manipulate spawning openly.

I think if you die you should always respawn on the very edge of the screen in time to at least have one more legit chance of killing your opponent. You should need to get a kill or an avoid on the very edge of the screen to earn progression.
  • There should be a countdown timer from death to respawn. You can kill yourself at any time, starting the countdown. You always spawn ahead of your opponent.
  • edited January 2014
    Rym said:

There should be a countdown timer from death to respawn. You can kill yourself at any time, starting the countdown. You always spawn ahead of your opponent.

The only problem is that it would require an additional suicide button. Third button ruins everything. Also, hilarity when that button gets pressed unintentionally.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

You should need to get a kill or an avoid on the very edge of the screen to earn progression.

Fuck that. Maybe as a variant. Good players can't so easily be jumped over. ;^)

• I think we can all agree that the game is in need of some polish. Which strikes me as funny, because all of the pre-release hype was about how Nidhogg was a years-long indie darling, picking up awards but never getting released, because the developer was taking such meticulous care to polish the game. Yet even with spawn bugs and busted multiplayer, the core mechanics are just so sweet I can't resist playing.

Same thing happened with Samurai Gunn. It sometimes bugs and triggers a sudden death showdown even when there is a clear winner. Normally this would piss me off (a game that can't even keep score?) but in this case I just don't care because the showdowns are fun.
  • Our letters are one-way messages from Ragnarok.